Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Football View Post
    So you're saying that in the 6 off-seasons that John Elway has had to manipulate the roster as the General Manager, he has acquired 6 good players, and these 6 players you have named prove me wrong ? Okay Maybe in 5 more off-seasons we will have 11 worthy starters on offense
    No, of course there are others. You're the one who made the laughable comment that Elway hasn't acquired any talent on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    No, of course there are others. You're the one who made the laughable comment that Elway hasn't acquired any talent on offense.
    "He has deserved blame for the teams horrible offense for a while now. John Elway just isn't good at evaluating and acquiring talent on the offensive side of the ball, at any position, period."

Reading appears to be an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Sandy Clough on 104.3 The Fan believes the biggest mistake Elway has made was not hiring Adam Gase as the head coach when Fox was fired. He thinks we've been trying to correct or catch up to that mistake ever since.
    Hiring Kubiak wasn't a mistake. Last I checked we won a SB with him.

Hiring Kubiak wasn't a mistake. Last I checked we won a SB with him.
    Well, short term it paid off and I think it's fair to say that it was worth it to win Super Bowl 50.

Having said that, long term it definitely hindered us. We wouldn't be in the current quarterback situation we're in right now had it not been for Kubiak, both coming here and then "retiring" after only 2 years. Right now, we're not set up very well long-term especially on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Football View Post
    "He has deserved blame for the teams horrible offense for a while now. John Elway just isn't good at evaluating and acquiring talent on the offensive side of the ball, at any position, period."

Reading appears to be an issue here.
    I already proved you wrong. Elway evaluated Sanders and acquired him. Elway evaluated Anderson and acquired him. The same with other positions on offense. If Elway wasn't good at evaluating and acquiring offense then he must be incredibly lucky in all the players I mentioned. The fact is you made a hyperbolic statement that was simply untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Well, short term it paid off and I think it's fair to say that it was worth it to win Super Bowl 50.

Having said that, long term it definitely hindered us. We wouldn't be in the current quarterback situation we're in right now had it not been for Kubiak, both coming here and then "retiring" after only 2 years. Right now, we're not set up very well long-term especially on offense.
    We have two elite WRs, a good RB corps, and 3/5 of a good offensive line. Like many, many teams, we need a QB. If we can get a decent one and shore up the right side of the line we should have a good team again.

Sandy Clough ripping Elway.... Said the front office refuses to admit mistakes, is becoming close minded and stubborn. Elway driving out all the smart people (Peters and Gase).

We have two elite WRs, a good RB corps, and 3/5 of a good offensive line. Like many, many teams, we need a QB. If we can get a decent one and shore up the right side of the line we should have a good team again.
    Sorry, I don't see DT as an elite receiver. I think an elite receiver would have more touchdown catches over the last 2 years and would be able to make plays without catching a flag.

Sanders is solid, maybe even great. But elite? I think that's a huge stretch.

On the offensive line, we have Paradis and Bolles, the latter who has shown to still be very raw. The rest of the line is either mediocre or outright awful.

The bigger problem is that we have to let some of the defensive talent go in order to bolster the offense. And realistically there's no need for DT at this point if we don't have a capable quarterback to throw to him.

It's easy to say "all you need is a quarterback" but if we get one in free agency it's going to cost money, and lots of it. If we attempt to draft one, it's a crap shoot, just like drafting Lynch was. If we attempt to continue to develop Siemian, Lynch, and Kelly, you're running the risk of more or less the same result that we've seen over the last 3 years.

So again, I agree with Sandy in that we sacrificed long-term in order to win Super Bowl 50. I can't say it wasn't worth it but this is a team that's going to be struggling for the next couple of seasons easily.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Sandy Clough ripping Elway.... Said the front office refuses to admit mistakes, is becoming close minded and stubborn. Elway driving out all the smart people (Peters and Gase).
    Elway wanted his friend and confidant in Kubiak to come and coach the team. He had to essentially beg Kubiak to do this, which should have been a red flag not to go in that direction. Last year, we saw what Kubiak more or less is. Great guy, great offensive coordinator. But not someone who is capable of being the overall manager of a football team. We got a Super Bowl out of it, so it's hard to say it wasn't worth it. But we're definitely paying the price now for that hire.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    And Wade Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    And Wade Phillips.
    The defense is fine. We would have won the last two games and the game against Buffalo with even an average offense.

When are people going to stop with the "we have two elite WRs"?

DT is not an elite WR. His production was amazing with Manning. It has not been close to the same since, or even before Peyton. His "elite" status was a product of Manning.

Sanders being elite? I don't know, questionable. He's got a ton of heart.

Everybody saying lynch isn't a bust should really stop saying that. He has had 2 seasons to at least show potential. And he has done NOTHING to even show that he might have a future in this league. Not in practice. Preseason or regular season. We need to throw Brock out there and see what he can do. Brock was a lot better here in Denver then when he was in Houston. I don't know what is going on with 13 but he looks so lost out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
    Everybody saying lynch isn't a bust should really stop saying that. He has had 2 seasons to at least show potential. And he has done NOTHING to even show that he might have a future in this league. Not in practice. Preseason or regular season. We need to throw Brock out there and see what he can do. Brock was a lot better here in Denver then when he was in Houston. I don't know what is going on with 13 but he looks so lost out there.
    I think Brock is damaged goods at this point, and any move towards starting him should be delicate and made with low expectations. I would personally rather us just burn Siemian into the ground because this team isn't going anywhere anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    Love the analysis. Thanks for this. The only issue I have with this is the part about VJ getting 2 maybe 3 seasons to figure it out. If we can learn from history we need to remember that McDummy was a rookie HC and he set this team back years in just one season as HC. I don't want that same latitude given to Joseph
    No, those quarterbacks are performing like what one would expect of QBs drafted where they were drafted. It is very hard to get a franchise QB drafting below about 15-20 in the first round.