Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Players catching your eye

Just a place to keep scouting notes/mention impressive players. Feel free to join in

TE - Ian Thomas

Started out strong against OSU, whole team faded down the stretch. Could be a sleeper TE prospect.

WR - Simmie Cobbs JR

Huge target with a great catch radius. Doesn't shy away from contact either. Didn't see much in terms of route running but he was very impressive catching the ball.

WR - Parris Campbell

A long and fast dangerous player. Very explosive but he had some easy drops in the game. Didn't watch for him in particular so again I didn't see much in terms of route running but will keep an eye out going forward

Swiss Army Knife - Minkah Fitzpatrick

There's nothing he doesn't do for Alabama. Great in zone and man coverage, terrific in the box safety, and he's a thumper. Outplayed Trey Marshall and Derwin James even though Marshall didn't play much.

SS - Derwin James

He played all over the place for FSU and honestly I think he's better suited trying to play LB than S. Very aggressive and bit hard in coverage early that led to a huge TD. But he is very fast, good against the run, and hits as hard as anyone.

LB - Matthew Thomas

Extremely fast LB that was explosive coming around the edge. Kept hearing his name but didn't watch too closely but he seems like a prototypical weak side LB.

WR - Calvin Ridley

This guy is going to be better than Amari Cooper. That's should say it all.

QB - Will Grier

This game is still going on but this kid is impressive. Not really a pro style offense but he's going through receivers, he's looking off safeties occasionally, and he has a big arm with a lot of confidence. Pretty good accuracy from what I've seen so far with plus mobility and he has good pocket awareness. He dropped a 24 yard dime off his back foot between the S and CB against Cover 2. That was very impressive to see.

Also the Quinton Flowers vs Lamar Jackson battle for what QB most reminds you of Prime Mike Vick is in full effect. If you haven't watched Flowers I'd recommend it, very fun to watch

QB - Josh Rosen.
    This guy carved up Texas A&M when given time and produced one of the greatest comebacks I have ever seen.
    In the 1st half he was beaten up, and I didn't think he would last for the whole game.
    But he's tough, strong and very accurate.
    He should be a top 2 draft prospect if he stays healthy.

CB - Isiah Oliver
    He showed incredible ball AND tackling skills against one of the best receivers in the country, let alone on CSU.
    Oliver balled all game long.

Hmmmm I'll have to watch Oliver play, I love seeing good CBs. Watched the GT/Tenn game tonight.

RB - John Kelly

This guy ran hard tonight, isn't a big RB but he kept his legs moving and showed great balance. Showed good vision and patience especially in the 2nd half when he started to take over. He also caught the ball well out of the backfield.

Also Marquez Calloway looked great. He's only a sophomore but he made some huge catches. Extended his arms away from his body and caught the ball with defenders draped all over him. DT needs to watch his catches from this game.

Carlton Davis - Defensive Back- Auburn

He is graded right now heading into the season as a 2nd-3rd Round prospect, but I think he could climb over the course of the year and find himself easily in back end of the 1st Round come next April. I see a lot of Jimmy Smith in Carlton Davis and in terms of being a prototypical NFL corner, Carlton has it all. He is physically gifted standing over 6 feet tall, weighs over 200 pounds with long limbs, he plays up near the line of scrimmage, has great makeup speed, takes on downfield blocks, can hit with some pop in his pads, I like everything about him. He reminds me a bit of Champ Bailey out there too, obviously not the same quality of prospect but he just is similar in his build and his style of play.

Quenton Nelson - Guard - Notre Dame

He is the top prospect at Guard going into the season and I think if he just puts together a solid year with consistent positive play he will be a high 2nd Round pick. Nelson is pro ready and I have no doubts he could come into our football team and start day 1 over Max Garcia. Nelson is very well-rounded and reminds me a fair bit of Garett Bolles in the run blocking department. He looks like a smart player who utilises angles very well to open holes for runners and does a great job getting to the second level to make blocks to spring open long runs. He has a great anchor in pass protection too and great secondary strength to recover after getting beat by resetting and digging his heels into the dirt to stop the bull rush. I like him and think he would be a good target for us come next April.

Da'Ron Payne - Defensive Tackle/Defensive End - Alabama

Right now on the list of big guys on the Defensive Line he is rated down the list but he is a solid prospect coming into the season as a 3rd-4th Round guy. Just like Quenton Nelson at Guard I think he holds his draft positioning if he can put together just a solid consistent season. Da'Ron Payne when you watch him jumps off the screen a few times per game by blowing up plays with either his strength and ability to dominate people, or his quick movement in a pass rushing situation. He is a thick body and built like a 3-4 End with experience playing all along the Defensive front. He is a very instinctive player also and seems to have a real feel for where to be and how to play stretch runs and sniff out screens when they happen. I love his anchor and lower body strength, he plays with great leverage and I think he would be a good pick up for us, I could see him having immediate impact in the NFL as a solid run blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by wmp View Post
    QB - Josh Rosen.
    This guy carved up Texas A&M when given time and produced one of the greatest comebacks I have ever seen.
    In the 1st half he was beaten up, and I didn't think he would last for the whole game.
    But he's tough, strong and very accurate.
    He should be a top 2 draft prospect if he stays healthy.

CB - Isiah Oliver
    He showed incredible ball AND tackling skills against one of the best receivers in the country, let alone on CSU.
    Oliver balled all game long.
    At least Rosen knows how to play behind a poor offensive line. He could fit in nicely here.

Akrum Wadley RB Iowa- Could bring different style to our stable of backs. Good receiver.

Outside of the big name guys, one guy that flashed to me this weekend

Roquan Smith ILB Georgia showed some serious speed, and had some good pop vs ND.

Hayden Hurst, tight end from South Carolina, is going to be a good one. I like what I've seen out of our tight ends, but it would be great to give Trevor a franchise TE presence to grow with our offense would be better for it.

Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Sam Darnold

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Football View Post
    Carlton Davis - Defensive Back- Auburn

He is graded right now heading into the season as a 2nd-3rd Round prospect, but I think he could climb over the course of the year and find himself easily in back end of the 1st Round come next April. I see a lot of Jimmy Smith in Carlton Davis and in terms of being a prototypical NFL corner, Carlton has it all. He is physically gifted standing over 6 feet tall, weighs over 200 pounds with long limbs, he plays up near the line of scrimmage, has great makeup speed, takes on downfield blocks, can hit with some pop in his pads, I like everything about him. He reminds me a bit of Champ Bailey out there too, obviously not the same quality of prospect but he just is similar in his build and his style of play.

Quenton Nelson - Guard - Notre Dame

He is the top prospect at Guard going into the season and I think if he just puts together a solid year with consistent positive play he will be a high 2nd Round pick. Nelson is pro ready and I have no doubts he could come into our football team and start day 1 over Max Garcia. Nelson is very well-rounded and reminds me a fair bit of Garett Bolles in the run blocking department. He looks like a smart player who utilises angles very well to open holes for runners and does a great job getting to the second level to make blocks to spring open long runs. He has a great anchor in pass protection too and great secondary strength to recover after getting beat by resetting and digging his heels into the dirt to stop the bull rush. I like him and think he would be a good target for us come next April.

Da'Ron Payne - Defensive Tackle/Defensive End - Alabama

Right now on the list of big guys on the Defensive Line he is rated down the list but he is a solid prospect coming into the season as a 3rd-4th Round guy. Just like Quenton Nelson at Guard I think he holds his draft positioning if he can put together just a solid consistent season. Da'Ron Payne when you watch him jumps off the screen a few times per game by blowing up plays with either his strength and ability to dominate people, or his quick movement in a pass rushing situation. He is a thick body and built like a 3-4 End with experience playing all along the Defensive front. He is a very instinctive player also and seems to have a real feel for where to be and how to play stretch runs and sniff out screens when they happen. I love his anchor and lower body strength, he plays with great leverage and I think he would be a good pick up for us, I could see him having immediate impact in the NFL as a solid run blocker.
    what do you think of mike mcglichey. he is on my short list of tackles i like to pair with bolles cause i am more worried about RT then any gaurd spot

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    what do you think of mike mcglichey. he is on my short list of tackles i like to pair with bolles cause i am more worried about RT then any gaurd spot
    I agree that we need more talent at tackle. I said from day one that Menelik Watson would be a liability on the edge and although it's only been one game, he was a huge liability in pass protection. I don't understand why we signed him to such a huge contract honestly and it was a questionable move by Elway from the jump. Menelik Watson is just producing what he always has, he was an interior prospect coming out of college and in the NFL he has been a huge disappointment whenever healthy playing on the edge. I like his ability to play in the run game and would love to see him move inside after this season if we can get a good player to start opposite Bolles.

On Mike McGlinchey, I think he will be gone by the time we can get a shot at him. I see us picking in the late teens at the earliest and I think McGlinchey could elevate himself into the top 10 if he performs this season. He is huge, he is athletic, and much like Quenton Nelson, he is pro ready and will start day 1. He is naturally very tall so he plays upright which gets him in trouble on occasion with good bull rushers who will always be playing with a natural leverage advantage, and he looks awkward at times on down blocks too. However, if he can add some more weight and strength, especially in his lower body, he will be a good one I think.

Connor Williams from Texas is an interesting guy who looks like the perfect candidate to play the right side tackle position. He will be a 1st round pick as well but I could see some concerns over his athletic ability and people questioning if he can be a starting blindside tackle in the NFL. I personally though like everything about him, he is aggressive, built like an NFL lineman, has a well-rounded game, and will probably be available in the teen picks looking at it at this point. He reminds me a lot of Cam Robinson from Alabama, gets the job done in the passing game and excels in the run game, he would be a good pick.

Martinas Rankin is another top rated tackle at this point however I am not as sold on him as the other two guys above. His tape is bipolar, one minute he is locking onto guys and driving them downfield and into the ground, showing good footwork in pass protection, and showing excellent hands punching guys keeping them away from the quarterback. The next minute he is whiffing off the line of scrimmage completely missing blocks, showing horrible footwork against speed rushers, and showing no understanding of angle blocking at all. Hopefully this season he can show more consistency and play more complete games, and if he does, he should be a top 50 pick, he has potential.

Matt Thomas is an interesting LB. we do not seem like the type of team to draft a first round LB, but Thomas has extreme speed. I would figure our scouting department is going to really look into his game

Nyheim hines. First time watching him and so far impressed runs well plays well. Overall career numbers aren't great but I'm gonna follow him and see how his season turns out.

Past couple of weeks I kept seeing highlights of James Washington and kind of cast him off as just another OSU WR putting up crazy numbers. He is not, he doesn't have the same height/speed that Dez Bryant or Justin Blackmon but he has terrific ball skills with really long arms. He makes up for his lack of size by catching the ball away from his body with strong hands. Once he catches the ball, he's like a RB set free in the secondary.

This kid might be better than Dez

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Past couple of weeks I kept seeing highlights of James Washington and kind of cast him off as just another OSU WR putting up crazy numbers. He is not, he doesn't have the same height/speed that Dez Bryant or Justin Blackmon but he has terrific ball skills with really long arms. He makes up for his lack of size by catching the ball away from his body with strong hands. Once he catches the ball, he's like a RB set free in the secondary.

This kid might be better than Dez
    I've been ready to move on from DT for a while (given the right scenario). If we are thinking a QB extension is up for discussion next year...
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots