Siemian applying lessons learned from Manning

“I knew Trevor had a little moxie in one of the first quarterback meetings in the room with him,” says Greg Knapp, Denver’s quarterback coach from 2013–16. “I’ve been around a couple other guys in the room with Peyton who were college free agents or late draft picks, and guys get intimidated. Even for a coach it can be intimidating to be in a room with Peyton. He’ll challenge you, and he’s a bulldog about it.

“I won’t say exactly what he said, but Peyton threw a zinger at Trevor, and it was incredible to hear how Trevor spit one back in Peyton’s face. And I’m going, I love this. Mr. Manning, you’ve got a little bit of a challenge with this rookie. Trevor doesn’t get intimidated easily.”

New offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, Manning’s coordinator in 2012 before taking the head coaching job in San Diego, echoed head coach Vance Joseph in calling it a tough decision. “They all did a great job, all three quarterbacks,” McCoy said. “The great thing about this business as coaches is you’ve got to make tough decisions from time to time.”

But two team sources familiar with the coaches’ evaluation of both quarterbacks said the competition in training camp wasn’t close. Following OTAs, Siemian demonstrated a mastery of the playbook while Lynch lagged behind, the sources said. Siemian observed Manning taking copious notes on material simple and complex alike, so he, too, took up the habit and started filling up notepads with concepts he was already familiar with, in chicken scratch handwriting only he could read. “It’s something I still do,” Siemian says. “Being in the same room with a guy that’s done it really, really well for a number of years. If it worked for him, I figured it might work for me. You process things a little better when you put pen to paper. I still write down too much. It’s just kind of a habit I’ve started myself.”

When Siemian arrived at training camp in a competition with Lynch, he was able to direct teammates on the finer points while Lynch was still putting down a base of knowledge in a new offense. McCoy watched Siemian tutor teammates in meetings with a focus on being accountable to execute assignments on any given play.

“There are days you’re with the ones, days you’re with the twos, and he did a good job of leading in every situation,” McCoy said. “In the meetings he’s great, saying to guys this is what we’re expecting on this play. This is where you need to be in this situation.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/12/tr...peyton-manning

Hooray, beer!

I wish the coaches would have told the truth about the competition not being close and, even better, I wish they would have ended this "competition" sooner. I understand there is pressure from Elway and the front office that drafted Lynch in round 1, but this team needs to win games more than it needs to put a make-up to make the 1st-round QB look better than he really is. If it was not close, say it was not close and Siemian is the guy. Saying Siemian and Lynch were close this offseason, besides being a lie, makes Siemian look worse in the eyes of the public, fans and media alike.

Lynch needs to be held accountable for his lack of development and football IQ, and not pampered by the coaches to make it look like he's doing a great job. When preseason began, everyone could see Lynch was not doing a great job. At the same time, it's not fair to artificially make the "competition" look "really close", dragging Siemian down to Lynch's level. If one of the QBs was standing out, mastering the playbook while the other QB is lagging behind, there should not be a competition anymore.

Hopefully, this was the last time the Broncos showed such an excessive indulgence towads Paxton Lynch. His contract allowed him to be the backup through the 2019 season. If the light comes on, great. Everyone will be able to see if it does If not, leave him as the backup, trade him to Arizona, cut him, whatever, but don't hold back Trevor Siemian.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I wish the coaches would have told the truth about the competition not being close and, even better, I wish they would have ended this "competition" sooner. I understand there is pressure from Elway and the front office that drafted Lynch in round 1, but this team needs to win games more than it needs to put a make-up to make the 1st-round QB look better than he really is. If it was not close, say it was not close and Siemian is the guy. Saying Siemian and Lynch were close this offseason, besides being a lie, makes Siemian look worse in the eyes of the public, fans and media alike.

Lynch needs to be held accountable for his lack of development and football IQ, and not pampered by the coaches to make it look like he's doing a great job. When preseason began, everyone could see Lynch was not doing a great job. At the same time, it's not fair to artificially make the "competition" look "really close", dragging Siemian down to Lynch's level. If one of the QBs was standing out, mastering the playbook while the other QB is lagging behind, there should not be a competition anymore.

Hopefully, this was the last time the Broncos showed such an excessive indulgence towads Paxton Lynch. His contract allowed him to be the backup through the 2019 season. If the light comes on, great. Everyone will be able to see if it does If not, leave him as the backup, trade him to Arizona, cut him, whatever, but don't hold back Trevor Siemian.
    agreed - totally fine with cutting lynch out right and letting another team waste a precious roster spot in order to try to salvage him.

This article really says a lot. Reports from camp were often vague often times simply stating completions vs incompletions as a basis for the competition being close. But when I think about it they never said anything about the quality of the passes, what kind of concepts were being ran, and what kind of defense was thrown at them. Siemian could have completed less passes than Lynch and the media would lead you to believe Lynch won that day, but Siemian could've been trying to actually throw his targets open to build chemistry, getting the ball out quicker to adapt to game situations where pressure is constantly there where as Lynch very well could have been holding the ball waiting for a guy to come open before throwing it or tucking and running as soon as he felt pressure.

Bottom line is, the media has become far too lazy in their "analysis" of what's actually going on and when the majority of the fan base can only read what is happening it paints a very different picture than what may actually be happening.

Edit: And the fact they opted to put Shane Ray on IR vs Lynch knowing they would have to sign another QB regardless shows just how the team thinks of Lynch. On IR he wouldn't be allowed to practice until his window to return if I'm not mistaken. So if the reports about Ray being able to play at some point in the first month are true, it shows that Lynch is far enough behind the curve that they want to get him as much practice time as possible. Lynch will likely run the scout team when he's healthy and hopefully emulating other great QBs will help. But I really believe Lynch is on thin ice right now, and if he struggles next preseason he may end up getting cut for Kelly or whatever other camp arm we may bring in.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 09-13-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Good article. What I like about it is that it demonstrates the importance of the mental aspect of being a quarterback. I see a lot of people here who fall in love with purely physical talent, and completely forget the mental aspect, the study habits. That's a huge part of what made Manning so great, and I'm glad to see that TS learned from him. Lynch hasn't shown any such desire or ability.
    Last edited by RobertR; 09-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Great article the confirms what a lot of us knew to be true, all along. And I especially compliment the coaching staff for letting it play out just as Vance Joseph said it would when he was asked about the competition between Lynch and Siemian when he took the job as Head Coach. It showed the entire team that he had no preconceived ideas or "favorites", and that the winner of any competition on the team was going to have to earn their job. Of course, I suspect that the Coaching Staff knew during their initial interviews and review of last years game film, and saw that confirmed in the early OTAs, who would end up being the Starter. I can't imagine that ANYBODY was confused about the final result. And although the "fans" may have been confused about where the competition was headed, this article confirms that the coaching staff and Siemian's teammates were never confused at all.

To the "Lynch Fans", I understand that they are disappointed. It would have been great if there had been something other than "Football IQ" holding Lynch back, like the previous Coaching Staff, and Lynch would somehow miraculously change into the top dog. Because then not only would the "athletic" Lynch be the Starter, he would have beat out a guy who clearly has starting ability, in Trevor Siemian. But that "miracle" didn't happen.

Kudos to the Coaching Staff for letting it play out just as it should, and maybe Lynch can learn from Siemian just as Siemian learned from Manning.

Good read.

Out of all the QBs to be on the same team as Manning, Siemian definitely seems to be the one that took the most of that opportunity, and then applying the knowledge/habits to his own game.

So, we never really had a Quarterback competition.

We had hours of click-bait and meaningless sports commentary.

In hindsight it was kind of obvious.

Adopted Mod: Best Mod Ever: EddieMac
    Adopted New Person: Peapod
    Adopted Video: WatercoolerJam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozu5KdXhL0