Creating a Family Tree?

Anyone into Genealogy?
    Any tips appreciated.

I've recently caught the bug and signed up to the Ancestry site.
    Circa 1800 is the furthest I've gone back so far.
    Gran's stuff - notebooks, letters and cards have proved invaluable. I wish I'd paid more attention to her stories before she passed away. Amongst her things were five pages of typed letters (not the originals) from Grandad's Uncle Evan and Uncle Rich who served in World War I in France. They are fascinating.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Anyone into Genealogy?
    Any tips appreciated.

Gran's stuff - notebooks, letters and cards have proved invaluable. I wish I'd paid more attention to her stories before she passed away. Amongst her things were five pages of typed letters (not the originals) from Grandad's Uncle Evan and Uncle Rich who served in World War I in France. They are fascinating.
    Hey Jawsie....the farthest I've gone is Ancestry, as a gift, telling me about my "makeup", so to speak. I think I might have told you, but it was through this I learned I was about 70% Italian (which was a little less than I thought), but approx. 20% components of British, which was a nice little surprise. The other 10% makes me a bit of a mongrel I suppose.

I have thought about pursuing my family tree, but it's on hold for now. So I have no tips, other than a few more bucks towards Ancestry. Good luck if you take on the adventure.

Perhaps I am a wee bit afraid to find out that I come from a long line of criminals!!!

You guys are so much more "exotic" in your "makeup" than me
    So far the furthest afield any of my descendants have lived over the past 200 years is about 20 miles from where I live in each direction!

Are you forming a club? I would be interested.

I just did a 23andMe DNA test to learn I am Northwest European (British/Irish and Scandinavian). I just got my results last week. I was adopted at birth and had no idea.

My sister traced her genealogy, found her birth mother, and learned she was one of the daughter's of the American Revolution.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Anyone into Genealogy?
    Any tips appreciated.

If you happen to know any Mormons, try reaching out to leverage their channels. We had a family of Mormons that were first cousin related that traced our lineage back several hundred years. This was many decades ago, long before the advent of genealogy websites. Surely, they could point you in the right direction.

Learning about your own family history is incredible. That's awesome that you had relatives serving on the Western Front in the Great War...imagine the stories they could tell. Knowing your past certainly gives perspective on the present. Best of luck in your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey Jawsie....the farthest I've gone is Ancestry, as a gift, telling me about my "makeup", so to speak. I think I might have told you, but it was through this I learned I was about 70% Italian (which was a little less than I thought), but approx. 20% components of British, which was a nice little surprise. The other 10% makes me a bit of a mongrel I suppose.

I have thought about pursuing my family tree, but it's on hold for now. So I have no tips, other than a few more bucks towards Ancestry. Good luck if you take on the adventure.

Perhaps I am a wee bit afraid to find out that I come from a long line of criminals!!!

I'll start calling you Goodfella.

My great great uncle Bob spent some time in Canada just over a hundred years ago.
    I wonder if he bumped into CanDB

My great great uncle Bob spent some time in Canada just over a hundred years ago.
    I wonder if he bumped into CanDB
    I remember him well.....and he was "great"!!!

Anyone into Genealogy?
    Any tips appreciated.

That sounds so fun and interesting, Jaws! I've never done myself, but have considered it. Have fun with it!

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

Jaws- you're gonna go waaaaay back to the Megladon!!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    Jaws- you're gonna go waaaaay back to the Megladon!!!!
    I'm only a few million years away