• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis.1960
    Captain
    • Nov 2014

Bronco Home Sellout Streak

Hi all,

with all the bad press lately of the LA teams not coming near to selling out their home games, I was just thinking today of the Bronco home game sellout streak and was wondering...

1) In the 1987 strike season, did we sellout all home games during the "replacement players" phase of the season? If not, did it count against our sellout streak?
    2) Did counting the sellout streak begin anew when we moved from the old Mile High to the new Mile High or did it carry over?
    3) When did it begin and what is it at currently?
    4) Does the sellout streak include pre-season and post-season games?
    5) Do we have the longest streak in the NFL? If not, who does?

Thanks and let those facts fly!
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:
  • Kyousukeneko
    Football Immortal
    • May 2010

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Hi all,

with all the bad press lately of the LA teams not coming near to selling out their home games, I was just thinking today of the Bronco home game sellout streak and was wondering...

1) In the 1987 strike season, did we sellout all home games during the "replacement players" phase of the season? If not, did it count against our sellout streak? those counted
    2) Did counting the sellout streak begin anew when we moved from the old Mile High to the new Mile High or did it carry over?carrys betweens stadiums
    3) When did it begin and what is it at currently? technical 1970, sense we have been a member of the nfl we have sold out every home nfl game, but it dates back into our AFL times
    4) Does the sellout streak include pre-season and post-season games? for sure post season gamse.
    5) Do we have the longest streak in the NFL? If not, who does? green bay has a 58 year sell out streak sense 1959 before we where even playing.

the other thing you have to note selling out does not mean filling the stadium. it means selling all the tickets for the stadium, they could sell every seat and have no one show and it still be a sell out.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• SkyFlash1
      Bench Warmer
      • Jan 2004

The thing I want to know is why, after selling out Mile High for so many years, did we build a new stadium with less seats? And why a stadium design that really doesn't lend itself to expansion?

Comment

• DwhitetheGamer
        Starter
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by SkyFlash1 View Post
        The thing I want to know is why, after selling out Mile High for so many years, did we build a new stadium with less seats? And why a stadium design that really doesn't lend itself to expansion?
        The newer stadium actually has more seats than the original.

Comment

• Checkdown
          Practice Squad
          • Sep 2017

Its good to be a Denver fan.

Comment

• imahardkase
            Practice Squad
            • Apr 2008

So, according to wikipedia, they're actually pretty close.

Mile High: 76,273
            SAF@MH: 76,125

I think the difference is that new Mile High has more luxury boxes, so there's less everyday fan seats. Also, I remember when they built it, they talked about preserving the noise and the rumble of the old stadium, so they kind of built straight up instead of up and back. I think this configuration limits the future capability of adding more seats.

Just from a fan perspective, the new stadium is also MUCH more comfortable & roomy than the old one. More room to get past somebody without spilling your beer, or drinks getting kicked over because no leg room, etc... Raise your hand if you ever wore a beer at the old stadium... <looks around slowly and raises his hand... once for every game ever attended> . So, I'm guessing that more comfort room also translates to less seats somehow.

I agree though, I was kind of disappointed in the 90's when they announced the capacity of the new stadium and I was hoping for like 80K, just cuz it sounded cool to my teenage mind. Separately, the whole name thing was disappointing, but we all know that already.

Comment

• Rancid
              Hall of Famer
              • Nov 2009

This is a testament to the fans- -us!

Loyalty and love of the Broncos aside, Denver is the 15th sized market for the NFL and was much lower than that for many years. https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...a_market_size/

This streak of sold-out games was by fans in a market in the back half or bottom third of the NFL's markets.
              sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
                Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                • Nov 2007

Sold out since 1970 and the last consecutive losing season was 1972. Since then, eight Super Bowl appearances and three championships. When I became a Bronco fan in 1964, had to wait ten years for the first winning season. It was worth the wait as the Broncos have been one of the best teams in the NFL for over forty years. There are many fans of at least ten other teams who would be thrilled with that level of success. The Denver Broncos have always been an interesting team to follow. There have been innovations to observe along the way: Joe Collier's 34 D; Shanahan's pairing WCO with Zone Series rushing attack of Alex Gibbs; Peyton Manning's style of quarterbacking. It's good to be a Bronco fan.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Meshuggah83
                  Practice Squad
                  • Oct 2016

Born and raised a Broncos fan and I wouldn't change it for anything else. I've met fellow Broncos fans here in a region where we are virtually unheard to a lot of football fans. I like that role though because it makes me proud.

Comment

• 80stheman
                    Hall of Famer
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                    Hi all,

1) In the 1987 strike season, did we sellout all home games during the "replacement players" phase of the season? If not, did it count against our sellout streak?
                    2) Did counting the sellout streak begin anew when we moved from the old Mile High to the new Mile High or did it carry over?
                    3) When did it begin and what is it at currently?
                    4) Does the sellout streak include pre-season and post-season games?
                    5) Do we have the longest streak in the NFL? If not, who does?

The sellout streak carries over from old MH to the new stadium. I don't recall if the replacement games were counted or whether we sold them out or not. I think the streak began in 1970, and I don't think it counts preseason or postseason games, although I know every home playoff game has been sold out. Last I heard, the Redskins had the longest sellout streak and the Broncos were second, but I'm not sure if that is still true.
                    sigpic

Comment

• DwhitetheGamer
                      Starter
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by imahardkase View Post
                      So, according to wikipedia, they're actually pretty close.

Mile High: 76,273
                      SAF@MH: 76,125
                      Um... are you sure? Because last time I checked, Mile High held about 75,107 or somewhere close to that. And the last game at the old house had I think 76,105, and the announcer for whoever was showing that game said that there were no "no shows".

Comment

• lvbronx
                        Old School
                        • Jul 2005

The fans used to boo the no-shows...do they still do this?

Comment

• imahardkase
                          Practice Squad
                          • Apr 2008

yeah, I'll be honest, that was straight out of wikipedia, so I didn't do the required additional fact checking to be any more sure than that.

I figured it was close enough for government work. Point taken though.

Comment

• Frenchy180
                            Football Immortal
                            • Oct 2008

The Broncos are one of only two teams in the league to have sold out every game of their NFL existence. The other is the Houston Texans.
                            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                            Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• Rancid
                              Hall of Famer
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                              The Broncos are one of only two teams in the league to have sold out every game of their NFL existence. The other is the Houston Texans.
                              Does this extend back to the Oilers? If not, then the Broncos streak is like 10-times longer.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X