Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

2017-2018 Denver Nuggets Season Thread

Season preview: Denver Nuggets
    By: Jorge Sierra | September 23, 2017
    STAYING: Darrell Arthur, Will Barton, Malik Beasley, Wilson Chandler, Kenneth Faried, Gary Harris, Juan Hernangomez, Nikola Jokic, Emmanuel Mudiay, Jamal Murray, Jameer Nelson and Mason Plumlee.

ADDED: Josh Childress (SAN-EN NeoPhoenix), Torrey Craig (Gold Coast Rollers), Trey Lyles (Utah), Tyler Lydon (Syracuse), Paul Millsap (Atlanta) and Monte Morris (Iowa State)

GONE: Danilo Gallinari (LA Clippers), Roy Hibbert and Mike Miller.

STRENGTHS: Elite offense … They have a plethora of players who can score and pass the ball well … With quite a young squad, they were No. 4 in offensive rating last season … It should only get better this year … Nikola Jokic is a superstar in the making … Either creating for himself or others, he’s a great source of offense … Overall, the frontcourt is quite impressive … With bigs like Jokic, Mason Plumlee and Paul Millsap, ball movement should not be an issue … Same goes for rebounding … They have a super promising backcourt with Jamal Murray and Gary Harris … Harris’ chemistry with Jokic is something to keep an eye on … More than decent depth.

WEAKNESSES: Defense … Additional experience and Millsap’s presence should help matters there, but to what extent? … Only the Lakers had a worst defensive rating than Denver in 2016-17 … At point guard, they are not nearly as strong as other Western Conference teams … Emmanuel Mudiay has been pretty awful for them so far … They could miss Danilo Gallinari a bit.

PREDICTION: 3rd in the Northwest Division, 6th in the Western Conference.

SALARIES:
    How do you think we'll do this season?

Couldn't be happier with the offseason. The draft ended up being ok, FA was a steal imo.

We have too many players who want the ball now, and I thought there would be a little more roster reorganization by now, but it seems Faried wants out because he's not starting, and he was pouting about not starting last season. He was never a starter type, always played better coming off the bench. We got rid of one problem child this offseason (Gallinari) and it appears we may be about to get rid of another.

All of our contracts are coming off the books the next two seasons minus a couple, so the extra room will be good for giving guys extensions that want to stay here.

This should be a playoff team. 8th seed at the worst, 3rd or 4th is their ceiling imo.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Here's the article about Faried:
    Kiszla: Agitated by Paul Millsap signing, Kenneth Faried warns Nuggets he’s ready to leave Denver
    Let’s just say Faried does not quite share the same enthusiasm for Millsap’s arrival

By MARK KISZLA | mkiszla@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
    PUBLISHED: September 25, 2017 at 5:09 pm | UPDATED: September 25, 2017 at 9:33 pm

The Manimal is not a happy camper.

As the Nuggets get to work in preparation for the NBA season, Kenneth Faried stubbornly refuses to accept a reserve role and defiantly insists if Denver can’t give him the minutes on the court he deserves, there are 29 other teams in the league where he can go play.

“I’ll just put it out there for everybody. I’m not a bench player. I’ve been saying that for the longest. I’m a starter,” Faried said Monday, when I asked him about his status with the Nuggets. “I love to hear the crowd (when introduced as), ‘Starting at power forward, No. 35, Kenneth Faried.’ Yes, that’s me. One hundred percent, that’s been my whole life. And I’m going to fight for a starting position. I’m just not going to lay down and let somebody take it. ”

Hate to burst your bubble, Manimal, but you are no longer a starter. The debate’s over. The power forward job belongs to Paul Millsap. Period.

Everyone in town, including Nuggets coach Michael Malone, anticipates Millsap, named to the All-Star Game in four consecutive seasons in Atlanta before signing a three-year, $90 million deal with Denver, will become the alpha dog on a team seeking its first playoff berth since 2013.

Let’s just say Faried does not quite share the same enthusiasm for Millsap’s arrival. If the Manimal can’t be a major contributor in Denver, he is ready to move on to another NBA city.

“There are 29 other teams,” said Faried, whose contract with the Nuggets runs through 2019. “If this team doesn’t want, or respect me enough, to play me the minutes that I think I deserve to play, then I understand that. Hey, there’s 29 others. Maybe I’ll go somewhere else and do what I need to do there. But at the same token, I’m here in Denver, and I want to play Manimal basketball, no matter what, every time I step on that court.”

The basketball math does not bode well for Faried’s happiness. Figure it this way: Between center and power forward, Malone has 96 minutes of court time to allocate. Give Millsap 32 minutes per game and emerging star Nikola Jokic 30 minutes on a regular basis at center. Mason Plumlee, who recently agreed to a new three-year, $41 million deal, figures to get at least 22 minutes per night as the primary backup to Jokic and Millsap.

Well, that leaves a scant 12 reserve minutes per game for Malone to divide at power forward and center among Faried, Juan Hernangomez, Darrell Arthur and Trey Lyles. Something’s got to give.

“I can’t play everybody,” said Malone, who wants to establish a regular rotation of no more than nine players in the hope of avoiding the tension as stubborn as the odor of dirty socks that lingered last season in the Denver locker room. As training camp opens, Faried seems to rank ninth, at best, in the roster’s pecking order. It smells like trouble again.

RELATED ARTICLES

SEPTEMBER 25, 2017 Denver Nuggets set for “very interesting” point guard battle during training camp
    SEPTEMBER 25, 2017 Denver Nuggets take a stand against social injustice, players say public protest is imminent
    SEPTEMBER 18, 2017 Mason Plumlee “thrilled” to agree to multi-year deal with Nuggets
    SEPTEMBER 15, 2017 David Adelman hired as Nuggets assistant coach
    SEPTEMBER 13, 2017 That time the Nuggets, Rockies and NBA teams ganged up on a Twitter troll
    Faried plays with a chip on his shoulder and wears his heart on his sleeve, major reasons why fans love him.

“If we don’t make the playoffs, then it’s a waste of a year,” Faried said.

He roars like a Manimal. But, too often, Faried acts like a diva when things don’t go to his liking.

It’s an uncomfortable situation. Sure, it might somehow work out without a nasty divorce and a hasty trade that sends Faried packing from Denver. But it’s hard to see how.
    Apparently he forgot how he got his start and earned his reputation in this league. He's delusional if he thinks he can start on even half the other teams in the league. Getting rid of him now would be best, Nuggets management should know how toxic it can be to a locker room keeping a player like that around (Duchene).
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

If not for the Morris pick, the draft would have been a disaster. In fairness, we were all but convinced we had gotten Love. I'm excited about the team. Didn't like the plumlee deal, and now we are talking with Barton on a deal. Need Murray, Harris, and Jokic to take a big step. 5-8 seed IMO. However, I am excited.

Morris was the redeeming pick. Not too happy about the money we have to Plumlee either but we still have a ton of cap space and at least we didn't give away Nurkic for nothing. I think coaching will be our biggest thing holding us back this season.

Well rumor is we are close to an extension with Harris. Plus the Jokic contract will be interesting. We will definitely be in the luxury tax soon.

This is the make or break year for Malone IMO. I have come to his defense multiple times, and overall, I am pleased with the job he has done. But this is they year he needs to show massive improvement. Anything short of playoffs is likely a failure IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Experience View Post
    This is the make or break year for Malone IMO. I have come to his defense multiple times, and overall, I am pleased with the job he has done. But this is they year he needs to show massive improvement. Anything short of playoffs is likely a failure IMO.
    I'll go a step further and say that if the Nuggets are the 8th seed and lose in the first round. Malone will find the heat turned up quite a bit. This will be a failure IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    I'll go a step further and say that if the Nuggets are the 8th seed and lose in the first round. Malone will find the heat turned up quite a bit. This will be a failure IMO.
    I think thats fair, it all depends on if the West ends up being as good as it looks on paper.

I know its just preseason, but we look very good so far. We are showing good depth. It appears Lyles has overtaken Faried as the team's backup PF. This is good, he is a much better fit. The PG battle is the most intriguing part. Murray and Mudiay have both shown improvement, and you have to figure Nelson is still in the mix. Only so many minutes to go around. It will be interesting to see how Malone constructs these lineups come game 1.

The defense appears to be improved. Thrillsap and Jokic are still learning to play together. I'm excited 😁

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    The defense appears to be improved. Thrillsap and Jokic are still learning to play together. I'm excited 😁
    I was very excited to see espn power rankings had us at 8. Then immediate buzzkill to see record projection at 45-37. That’s only a 5 game improvement. And I have a hard time believing the 8th best team would only win 45 games.

Unless these 3 super teams plus San antionio all win 70 games.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I was very excited to see espn power rankings had us at 8. Then immediate buzzkill to see record projection at 45-37. That’s only a 5 game improvement. And I have a hard time believing the 8th best team would only win 45 games.

Unless these 3 super teams plus San antionio all win 70 games.
    I have to be honest and say that 45 wins might be all they get. I was, however, encouraged by the report on ESPN that says the Nuggets are following the blueprint of the Warriors and could very well be the next dynasty after the Warriors start to decline. Of course at this point its all speculation.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Seriously? I switch to the Cub game when they’re up 15, I switch back and they’re down 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Seriously? I switch to the Cub game when they’re up 15, I switch back and they’re down 15.
    Same old 0 defense Malone style team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Nuggets!! Gotta love those guys.......

On a high note; CSU Pueblo is 5-2 and has the potential to run the table and get back to the playoffs in DIV II
    Last edited by darryn16; 10-19-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: forgot to add