Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,941
    Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I 've been watching social media outlets. Seem to be pics surfacing of him at anti trump rallies. Also there are multiple sources saying he wired a big sum of money over to the Phillipines not long beforehand. We shall see what officials say.
    Can you provide a link for that?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    1,511
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-news-shooter

    The leftist thing was a false rumor spread on 4chan per the Guardian.

    The shooter's GF apparently followed a bunch of "left" groups on her FB page. That doesn't necessarily make him a leftist just by association. That + the target he chose (a country music concert probably filled with more Conservatives than Ds), people jumped to conclusions.

    People want answers... I get it. However, time will hopefully tell exactly what the motivation was and we have to refrain from assumptions.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-news-shooter

    The leftist thing was a false rumor spread on 4chan per the Guardian.

    The shooter's GF apparently followed a bunch of "left" groups on her FB page. That doesn't necessarily make him a leftist just by association. That + the target he chose (a country music concert probably filled with more Conservatives than Ds), people jumped to conclusions.

    People want answers... I get it. However, time will hopefully tell exactly what the motivation was and we have to refrain from assumptions.
    Well said! There are thousands of possibilities....perhaps a defective gene for all we know. Right now I choose to think about a few things:
    1) Everyone impacted, including all their loved ones.
    2) Improvements that may be made to prevent these types of heinous crimes.
    3) That we need to encourage one another that WE will carry on, and not let these crazy people slow down our lives.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    15,800
    You all are doing good in keeping this from going too political. I appreciate that.


    There are a lot of stories coming out about the heroes. If I find a good article about it, I'll post it. I did find a video, but it wasn't the greatest quality.

    People staying with wounded strangers despite the danger to themselves.

    The guy who stole a truck to transport 20-30 people to the hospital, then found the owner and gave the truck back (so it's not really stealing, it was borrowing).

    People who helped others to safety.

    People who covered others with their bodies to try to protect them. Again, despite the danger to themselves.

    First responders.

    The doctors, nurses and other hospital workers.

    The people who lined up for hours to donate blood.


    Right now, I don't care about the who and the why. I know the answers to these questions can help prevent things like this from happening in the future.

    Right now, I need to see the good. In this situation. In people. That there is more love than there is hate.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwareness

    Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,989
    Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I 've been watching social media outlets. Seem to be pics surfacing of him at anti trump rallies. Also there are multiple sources saying he wired a big sum of money over to the Phillipines not long beforehand. We shall see what officials say.
    I'm not so sure about any of that.

    http://www.snopes.com/las-vegas-shooter-trump-protest/

    Right now, it's clear as mud why this guy did it. He seems to have no ties to any terrorist groups and he doesn't fit the bill for anything like this in the past...

    Hopefully we'll find out more later, but there is no evidence that I've seen that shows which way he leans politically or if that had any sort of impact at all.

    The money was allegedly wired to his girlfriend so she could buy a house in the Philippines. It seems like he expected to get out alive, I have to wonder if he thought he would find a way to meet up with her there.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 10-05-2017 at 06:44 AM.


  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,101
    Completely bizarre. We may never fully understand the “why” for we are not psychotic. Mental illness is almost certainly an aggravating factor, but not to the extent to exonerate guilt due to the obvious premeditation. Given the suspect’s age, I assumed he may possibly have been recently diagnosed with a disease…coupled with depression, may have been a trigger. But really anything at this point is just speculation.

    As long as we have free choice and freedom, there will always be that “one in a million” to use it for gravely immoral and despicable reasons. The good in humanity will always triumph…for the very best of us are what carries us in the absolute worst of times.

    On a side note, I’ve always wished that the media wouldn’t report on the names of the suspects in these types of crimes. I understand that people are curious, but giving this despicable human being international press coverage, his face all over the TV and internet, Wikipedia page, et al., just further reaffirms the instant fame awaiting the next would be mass murderer. I wish the victims were the ones remembered.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Completely bizarre. We may never fully understand the “why” for we are not psychotic. Mental illness is almost certainly an aggravating factor, but not to the extent to exonerate guilt due to the obvious premeditation. Given the suspect’s age, I assumed he may possibly have been recently diagnosed with a disease…coupled with depression, may have been a trigger. But really anything at this point is just speculation.

    As long as we have free choice and freedom, there will always be that “one in a million” to use it for gravely immoral and despicable reasons. The good in humanity will always triumph…for the very best of us are what carries us in the absolute worst of times.

    On a side note, I’ve always wished that the media wouldn’t report on the names of the suspects in these types of crimes. I understand that people are curious, but giving this despicable human being international press coverage, his face all over the TV and internet, Wikipedia page, et al., just further reaffirms the instant fame awaiting the next would be mass murderer. I wish the victims were the ones remembered.
    GMan....this is where I see it too. Mental illness is more likely to be the cause, and the world of mental illness is an extremely vast one. This guy was very successful, and seemed to be ok. But conjecture and the "T" word (Terrorism) make for endless news stories, and assumptions by the masses, who do not utilize research and details in drawing up conclusions. Right away it becomes a finger pointing exercise, whenever these things occur. But as you say, depression and various ugly sides of mental illness can cause people to do the strangest things. Sometimes people lose the will to live, get lost in their inner "dangerous" self, and worse, make horrible decisions. And yes, the media world, even if factual, have caused most of us to get caught up in such events...and perhaps scarier, foster a copy cat environment...where losers look for ways to be a participant.

    My friend emailed us, as he and his wife just got to Vegas. Far away from the site itself, the folks in his hotel were freaking out, and telling folks to run. He thought about returning home that night, but the airport was apparently in security mode. How terrible it must have been. And now we have faces, like the young woman who grew up in my province. A good young mother. Unfortunately her husband lost her in the chaos. Imagine the pain of losing your partner, and not even being close by to help her.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-05-2017 at 12:06 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    GMan....this is where I see it too. Mental illness is more likely to be the cause, and the world of mental illness is an extremely vast one. This guy was very successful, and seemed to be ok. But conjecture and the "T" word (Terrorism) make for endless news stories, and assumptions by the masses, who do not utilize research and details in drawing up conclusions. Right away it becomes a finger pointing exercise, whenever these things occur. But as you say, depression and various ugly sides of mental illness can cause people to do the strangest things. Sometimes people lose the will to live, get lost in their inner "dangerous" self, and worse, make horrible decisions. And yes, the media world, even if factual, have caused most of us to get caught up in such events...and perhaps scarier, foster a copy cat environment...where losers look for ways to be a participant.

    My friend emailed us, as he and his wife just got to Vegas. Far away from the site itself, the folks in his hotel were freaking out, and telling folks to run. He thought about returning home that night, but the airport was apparently in security mode. How terrible it must have been. And now we have faces, like the young woman who grew up in my province. A good young mother. Unfortunately her husband lost her in the chaos. Imagine the pain of losing your partner, and not even being close by to help her.
    It's unfortunate, but I guess the media has to talk about something. But like you said, they’re just priming the stage for copycats.

    Glad your friends are ok, bud. It must have been terrifying just being in the general vicinity. It really does put a tangible human face on the tragedy when someone connected to you can tell you about it in the first person. I’ve been in that hotel many times…I’ll never look at it the same ever again.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    8,312
    I covered the shooting that night (and into the morning) as a fill-in breaking news reporter because it was all hands on deck at my paper. It is heart breaking, but the response from this city has been unbelievable. People think of Las Vegas as one road with a bunch of casinos, strippers and bartenders but this community proved otherwise this week.

    Blood banks with lines wrapped around the block, with six-hour wait times to donate blood and eventually turning people away because every blood bank in town was at 200% capacity. The Red Cross of Southern Nevada also had to start turning away food and water donations because they had no more room to store it all. A GoFundMe started for victims is close to $10 million in a couple days. It's been amazing.

    I cover the local hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, and they donated $500 million on their own, and also reached out. The players visited first responders at police headquarters, families affected at the refuge site and blood donors as well.

    What that monster did to my city is terrible, but I've never been more proud of Las Vegas.

    Here's my story on the team's contributions, and some photos I took if anyone wants to read more into it.

    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oc...ommunity-to-o/

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    15,800
    Quote Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
    I covered the shooting that night (and into the morning) as a fill-in breaking news reporter because it was all hands on deck at my paper. It is heart breaking, but the response from this city has been unbelievable. People think of Las Vegas as one road with a bunch of casinos, strippers and bartenders but this community proved otherwise this week.

    Blood banks with lines wrapped around the block, with six-hour wait times to donate blood and eventually turning people away because every blood bank in town was at 200% capacity. The Red Cross of Southern Nevada also had to start turning away food and water donations because they had no more room to store it all. A GoFundMe started for victims is close to $10 million in a couple days. It's been amazing.

    I cover the local hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, and they donated $500 million on their own, and also reached out. The players visited first responders at police headquarters, families affected at the refuge site and blood donors as well.

    What that monster did to my city is terrible, but I've never been more proud of Las Vegas.

    Here's my story on the team's contributions, and some photos I took if anyone wants to read more into it.

    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oc...ommunity-to-o/
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

    Are you okay? It must be very hard to witness something like that.



    This is a list of all the victims and some of their stories. There's a lady from my hometown in CA (no, I did not know her). Heartbreaking for a 14 year old boy doing an interview about his mom.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/her...6V9?li=BBnb7Kz
    Administrator


    #LupusAwareness

    Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
    I covered the shooting that night (and into the morning) as a fill-in breaking news reporter because it was all hands on deck at my paper. It is heart breaking, but the response from this city has been unbelievable. People think of Las Vegas as one road with a bunch of casinos, strippers and bartenders but this community proved otherwise this week.

    Blood banks with lines wrapped around the block, with six-hour wait times to donate blood and eventually turning people away because every blood bank in town was at 200% capacity. The Red Cross of Southern Nevada also had to start turning away food and water donations because they had no more room to store it all. A GoFundMe started for victims is close to $10 million in a couple days. It's been amazing.

    I cover the local hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, and they donated $500 million on their own, and also reached out. The players visited first responders at police headquarters, families affected at the refuge site and blood donors as well.

    What that monster did to my city is terrible, but I've never been more proud of Las Vegas.

    Here's my story on the team's contributions, and some photos I took if anyone wants to read more into it.

    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oc...ommunity-to-o/
    Great article!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

    Are you okay? It must be very hard to witness something like that.



    This is a list of all the victims and some of their stories. There's a lady from my hometown in CA (no, I did not know her). Heartbreaking for a 14 year old boy doing an interview about his mom.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/her...6V9?li=BBnb7Kz
    Thank you for posting this.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,364
    Quote Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
    I covered the shooting that night (and into the morning) as a fill-in breaking news reporter because it was all hands on deck at my paper. It is heart breaking, but the response from this city has been unbelievable. People think of Las Vegas as one road with a bunch of casinos, strippers and bartenders but this community proved otherwise this week.

    Blood banks with lines wrapped around the block, with six-hour wait times to donate blood and eventually turning people away because every blood bank in town was at 200% capacity. The Red Cross of Southern Nevada also had to start turning away food and water donations because they had no more room to store it all. A GoFundMe started for victims is close to $10 million in a couple days. It's been amazing.

    I cover the local hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, and they donated $500 million on their own, and also reached out. The players visited first responders at police headquarters, families affected at the refuge site and blood donors as well.

    What that monster did to my city is terrible, but I've never been more proud of Las Vegas.

    Here's my story on the team's contributions, and some photos I took if anyone wants to read more into it.

    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oc...ommunity-to-o/
    Nice story!!!

    Did you say the team contributed $500 million!!!


    (On a side note, have you met Gary Lawless, who took a job with The Knights in the in the sector of PR and Communications (not sure the title). He was our local TSN radio guru before taking on this job. He is good at what he did, and should be good there as well.)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    8,312
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Nice story!!!

    Did you say the team contributed $500 million!!!


    (On a side note, have you met Gary Lawless, who took a job with The Knights in the in the sector of PR and Communications (not sure the title). He was our local TSN radio guru before taking on this job. He is good at what he did, and should be good there as well.)

    Haha meant $500k. Number of zeroes is important lol.

    And yes I work with Gary basically every day.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oh Yea...Right there!
    Posts
    7,315
    Quote Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
    I covered the shooting that night (and into the morning) as a fill-in breaking news reporter because it was all hands on deck at my paper. It is heart breaking, but the response from this city has been unbelievable. People think of Las Vegas as one road with a bunch of casinos, strippers and bartenders but this community proved otherwise this week.

    Blood banks with lines wrapped around the block, with six-hour wait times to donate blood and eventually turning people away because every blood bank in town was at 200% capacity. The Red Cross of Southern Nevada also had to start turning away food and water donations because they had no more room to store it all. A GoFundMe started for victims is close to $10 million in a couple days. It's been amazing.

    I cover the local hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, and they donated $500 million on their own, and also reached out. The players visited first responders at police headquarters, families affected at the refuge site and blood donors as well.

    What that monster did to my city is terrible, but I've never been more proud of Las Vegas.

    Here's my story on the team's contributions, and some photos I took if anyone wants to read more into it.

    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oc...ommunity-to-o/
    Woah! Woah! Woah! Wait a minute!!

    Vegas has Casinos and Bartenders?
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    18,285
    There are leaked photos of the room and guns, and the shooter. That guy was organized and ready to roll.

    Two of my retired co workers and wives were at that concert.... all home safe..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •