Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calais Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    But he ends up making 12 million extra just from not having to pay state tax. And he felt like Jacksonville had a really good young team that just needed a veteran leader. That defense was pretty loaded before they got him so I don't blame him. And they still have money to burn, as cliche as it has become to call this team a dark horse contender, they really have become one. They are in a very similar spot as us.

All in all though, Campbell did choose us, he just didn't sign here because he was a puppet for his agent. His agent pulled the strings to make him sign in Jacksonville. He would've chose Arizona over all of them if they gave him a decent offer.
    For clarification, he probably only saves $1.5 million by playing for a team with no state tax. State tax is 4.3% in Colorado, and the savings only applies to games played in Florida (he'd have to pay state tax for each away game he plays in a state that does have state income tax).

4.3% x $60 million contract x 50% of games played at home = $1.29 million

In other words, he saves about $323,000 per year.
    2017 Adopt-A-Bronco is Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I'm still really annoyed we didn't pick up Calais. I don't know the full scope of all the finance aspects, but we still haven't... and probably wont at this point, dive into that extra cap room. Missing on Campbell is still one of the biggest missteps by Elway this past offseason, IMO. Obviously having picked up O-line help would have been beneficial as well, but Campbell is wrecking people right now.

Campbell has 5.5 sacks and 1 FF so far this year. Currently 2nd place in sacks. If he was here, there is NO way you could double and triple Von the way teams have. Von would be destroying games with someone that dominant on the opposite side. Still frustrated we didn't pick this guy up. I think w CC, we could have a defense that was just as, if not more, dominant of 2015.
    Isn't this a moot point. I don't think Campbell had any desire to sign with Denver; he was in with JAX all along. Maybe it was the bigger payday or maybe he just doesn't like playing/living in cold climates.

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    Isn't this a moot point. I don't think Campbell had any desire to sign with Denver; he was in with JAX all along. Maybe it was the bigger payday or maybe he just doesn't like playing/living in cold climates.
    He's from Denver and was a Broncos fan growing up

The fact that he has 10 sacks already makes me sick that we didnít just end up giving him more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    The fact that he has 10 sacks already makes me sick that we didn’t just end up giving him more money.
    Yeah, he would have been nice. To be fair though, our DE's are still pretty good. Gotsis and Harris are more than enough to be run stoppers. Last week was an anomaly.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!