Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calais Campbell

Calais Campbell

I'm still really annoyed we didn't pick up Calais. I don't know the full scope of all the finance aspects, but we still haven't... and probably wont at this point, dive into that extra cap room. Missing on Campbell is still one of the biggest missteps by Elway this past offseason, IMO. Obviously having picked up O-line help would have been beneficial as well, but Campbell is wrecking people right now.

Campbell has 5.5 sacks and 1 FF so far this year. Currently 2nd place in sacks. If he was here, there is NO way you could double and triple Von the way teams have. Von would be destroying games with someone that dominant on the opposite side. Still frustrated we didn't pick this guy up. I think w CC, we could have a defense that was just as, if not more, dominant of 2015.

I don't think it was a misstep when Elway made a substancial offer and Campbell told his agent he wanted to sign with Denver until Jacksonville offered even more money (because they had a lot of cap space to beat any team) and his agent made him sign with the Jaguars.

II think it's worse when Elway loses a homegrown player like Malik Jackson because he waits too long to get a contract extension done.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...denver-broncos

That was the question Calais Campbell was faced with in early March of 2017. One answer was to play for the Denver Broncos, a team he grew up a fan of, while leaving over $15 million on the table that the Jacksonville Jaguars had offered over Denver.

Less than a day to the beginning of free agency, the Jaguars had upped their offer to $14.75 million - knocking out all contenders. Then Denver entered the picture for the first time.

The deal was less than Jacksonville’s, but John Elway had offered a slew of incentives to up the deal close to what the Jaguars were offering. The Jaguars weren’t done and upped their offer to heights no other team could match. The difference would end up a grand canyon sized void in money on the table.

Campbell’s family - all mostly lifelong Bronco fans - were clearly torn by all of this. It was turning into a very tough decision.

Down the final minutes of a decision, Calais Campbell offers his agent Tom Condon his team of choice, “I’m going with Denver, man.“

“Look, $15 million is a lot of money,” says Condon. “What I’m worried about is were going to lose somebody here.”

“Let’s go with Jacksonville,” Campbell replies, changing his mind at the very last minute.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I blame no one but Campbell for not coming to Denver. We offered a very good deal and he just used us to get an extra million or two from the jags. I understand you get as much money as you can while you can but the way he used us and the false hope sort of pissed me off. I am not longer a Campbell fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I blame no one but Campbell for not coming to Denver. We offered a very good deal and he just used us to get an extra million or two from the jags. I understand you get as much money as you can while you can but the way he used us and the false hope sort of pissed me off. I am not longer a Campbell fan.
    Two words....."STATE TAX"
    New England Patriots GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Good point. Really good point. Haha. So, the "slight" difference that we see in pay, becomes pretty substantial when state taxes aren't taking a big chunk.

NFL teams who HAVE state tax should be allowed to pay players the amount they'd pocket in NO STATE TAX states without any difference to their salary caps(from no state tax states). It may cost the teams more money in STATE TAX states, but the option should be there. It's only fair

dunno if that would have made any difference here. It seemed like JAX would have kept matching and raising anything Elway put on the table
    Last edited by dizzolve; 10-06-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Red 98

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Lame reasoning imo considering he’s already got paid before and now you have an opportunity to play for a winning organization. I’d take $10 million over $13 million to play for a better organization

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I don't think it was a misstep when Elway made a substancial offer and Campbell told his agent he wanted to sign with Denver until Jacksonville offered even more money (because they had a lot of cap space to beat any team) and his agent made him sign with the Jaguars.

II think it's worse when Elway loses a homegrown player like Malik Jackson because he waits too long to get a contract extension done.

If Jackson wanted to be here, he would. Just like Wolfe and Harris who signed for way less than they could have.

In case anyone still hasn't seen it:

https://forums.denverbroncos.com/sho...ll-THE-PROCESS

He would have made the defense better but It's not like the defense is hurting without him. Better to have that money free to throw on the offensive line or maybe a QB depending on how the season and off season plays out.

Lame reasoning imo considering he’s already got paid before and now you have an opportunity to play for a winning organization. I’d take $10 million over $13 million to play for a better organization
    But he ends up making 12 million extra just from not having to pay state tax. And he felt like Jacksonville had a really good young team that just needed a veteran leader. That defense was pretty loaded before they got him so I don't blame him. And they still have money to burn, as cliche as it has become to call this team a dark horse contender, they really have become one. They are in a very similar spot as us.

All in all though, Campbell did choose us, he just didn't sign here because he was a puppet for his agent. His agent pulled the strings to make him sign in Jacksonville. He would've chose Arizona over all of them if they gave him a decent offer.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

When we still have 11mm in cap room there is some blame there and I agree on MJ too, but I feel DT over MJ (and others) at the time was the big mistake. I think we are a better team with MJ and not DT vs how it is now. WRs can be found for cheap (Watkins Garcon...) but guys like MJ and CC are just hard to find.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Money rolls over we will get use out of it!

Yea, watching the doc furthers my frustration with it. How DIFFICULT of a decision that was and there was a huge difference in money. With how torn he was about it, if Denver would have came back 1 more time and just threw a couple more mil, he would have been here. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

With how great our defense is now... man, could you imagine CC on this squad too? Could have potentially been in the conversation of GOAT defenses. Really unfortunate.

Don't knock the jags man... His situation with us and situation with them is practically identical. Amazing defense, poor offense and a great RB. The jags are on their way up in the league and we could be on our way down depending on how Elway navigates the next couple of seasons.