Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 314
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885

    How bad has the Patriots defense been?

    Well as anyone who hangs in smack knows I have been pretty clear about what I think of the Pats Defense since week ones loss to the Chiefs but even i didnt know how bad it has played so far.
    Conventional and advanced statistics disagree over many things. The badness of the New England Patriots' defense through four games is not one of them. It's a defense that ranks 317th out of 320 units over the past 10 seasons in both yards allowed (conventional) and expected points added (advanced) during the first four games of a season. There is little need for elaboration if you've watched New England give up 32 points per game so far.
    317th out of 320 defenses in the last 10 years...man thats some smelly crap right there!
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885
    "They are known for trades," a personnel director said Sunday night, "but I don't know what rabbit they can pull out at this point."
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,483
    The Cheatriots are trash thanks to Belicheat's "genius" moves. Please, let's focus on the good teams with a winning record.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,167
    Here is my take. Bill and Patricia do not like to bring the heat when facing running QBs like Smith, Watson and Newton. They often play contain against these QBs, which is why NE did a lot better against the Saints. Playing contain puts a lot of burden on your secondary. The secondary has to do its job for this strategy to work. If DBs are getting confused as to who should cover whom, it will result in disaster. For example, if it werenít for the blown coverages against Carolina, Newton throws for 200 yards. The good news going forward is NE only faces two more running QBs in Winston and Tyrod Taylor.
    Last edited by TommyBrady12; 10-03-2017 at 06:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,430
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    Here is my take. Bill and Patricia do not like to bring the heat when facing running QBs like Smith, Watson and Newton. They often play contain against these QBs, which is why NE did a lot better against the Saints. Playing contain puts a lot of burden on your secondary. The secondary has to do its job for this strategy to work. If DBs are getting confused as to who should cover whom, it will result in disaster. For example, if it werenít for the blown coverages against Carolina, Newton throws for 200 yards. The good news going forward is NE only faces two more running QBs in Winston and Tyrod Taylor.
    It's funny that you say this because the Broncos beat the hell out of Cam Newton in Super Bowl 50. However wasn't it Belichick that came out and said that Wade does the same thing over and over, the same thing he's been doing for years but yet Wade wins the Super Bowl over Cam while Bill has to play a contain type style of defense with Cam?
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 10-03-2017 at 07:14 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Well as anyone who hangs in smack knows I have been pretty clear about what I think of the Pats Defense since week ones loss to the Chiefs but even i didnt know how bad it has played so far. 317th out of 320 defenses in the last 10 years...man thats some smelly crap right there!
    Oh wow lol. Good thing September/October don't matter


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,284
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    Here is my take. Bill and Patricia do not like to bring the heat when facing running QBs like Smith, Watson and Newton. They often play contain against these QBs, which is why NE did a lot better against the Saints. Playing contain puts a lot of burden on your secondary. The secondary has to do its job for this strategy to work. If DBs are getting confused as to who should cover whom, it will result in disaster. For example, if it weren’t for the blown coverages against Carolina, Newton throws for 200 yards. The good news going forward is NE only faces two more running QBs in Winston and Tyrod Taylor.
    Or it could be that the saints suck...


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Oh wow lol. Good thing September/October don't matter
    novembre and decembr dont matter to you guys becuase youl fail in this stretch and mis the playeoffs

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    881
    Don't know the root cause - personnel, schemes or coaching. But I recognize the end result - hot garbage from the Pats D. Very frustrating to watch.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    It's funny that you say this because the Broncos beat the hell out of Cam Newton in Super Bowl 50. However wasn't it Belichick that came out and said that Wade does the same thing over and over, the same thing he's been doing for years but yet Wade wins the Super Bowl over Cam while Bill has to play a contain type style of defense with Cam?
    I donít think Bill meant it as a slight against Wade. Denver also has the personnel to knock Newton around. NE doesnít have Von Miller. I think Bill sometimes is too afraid of the running QB, but he does have a point. Look at what Alex Smith did against Washington last night. If smith were a stationary QB, washington wins.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,430
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    I donít think Bill meant it as a slight against Wade. Denver also has the personnel to knock Newton around. NE doesnít have Von Miller. I think Bill sometimes is too afraid of the running QB, but he does have a point. Look at what Alex Smith did against Washington last night. If smith were a stationary QB, washington wins.
    Bill should think twice before letting go of such players like chandler jones but he allows his ego to get in the way. We know that ego all too well here in Denver while under Mike Shanahan. Not a knock on shanny but he made a lot of the same mistakes by passing on guys like Drew Bree's and Stephen Jackson and allowing guys like Shannon Sharpe and Steve Atwater to depart.

    We also saw it under a guy name McDaniels when he passed on Earl Thomas for a guy Alphonso Smith I believe. Hahaha who's bills heir apparent again???

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Bill should think twice before letting go of such players like chandler jones but he allows his ego to get in the way. We know that ego all too well here in Denver while under Mike Shanahan. Not a knock on shanny but he made a lot of the same mistakes by passing on guys like Drew Bree's and Stephen Jackson and allowing guys like Shannon Sharpe and Steve Atwater to depart.

    We also saw it under a guy name McDaniels when he passed on Earl Thomas for a guy Alphonso Smith I believe. Hahaha who's bills heir apparent again???
    i have to disagree. Chandler Jones was traded because the team couldnít afford him. Jamie Collins was traded because he didnít like the system and started to ďfree lanceĒ in his final year here. We won a super bowl without those guys.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,430
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    I donít think Bill meant it as a slight against Wade. Denver also has the personnel to knock Newton around. NE doesnít have Von Miller. I think Bill sometimes is too afraid of the running QB, but he does have a point. Look at what Alex Smith did against Washington last night. If smith were a stationary QB, washington wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    i have to disagree. Chandler Jones was traded because the team couldnít afford him. Jamie Collins was traded because he didnít like the system and started to ďfree lanceĒ in his final year here. We won a super bowl without those guys.
    Every free agent is going to hold out for more but you find a way to reward your guys and fit them under the cap. Yes he won a super bowl without them but that is past.

    What wrong with the defense now, this season? Why are they having to resort to playing contain? In your own words "New England doesn't have a Von Miller".

    You are the king of contradictions, your going to go and say you don't have a Von Miller so you have to play contain yet when the point is made that your HC has ego problems you go and say "I disagree with my previous comments, bill won a super bowl without them"!

    Do this strategy ever work in court? Oh yeah that's right, you lied about your Proffesion!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Every free agent is going to hold out for more but you find a way to reward your guys and fit them under the cap. Yes he won a super bowl without them but that is past.

    What wrong with the defense now, this season? Why are they having to resort to playing contain? In your own words "New England doesn't have a Von Miller".

    You are the king of contradictions, your going to go and say you don't have a Von Miller so you have to play contain yet when the point is made that your HC has ego problems you go and say "I disagree with my previous comments, bill won a super bowl without them"!
    Chandler jones is not von miller. You watch, the sack numbers will drop in November and December. Itís always the case with him.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,430
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    Chandler jones is not von miller. You watch, the sack numbers will drop in November and December. Itís always the case with him.
    I didn't say he was Von Miller but he was a better pass rusher than anybody you have now. Now Don't attempt to put words in my mouth.

    By the way how is it that you ignore the entire post and you try to find something any little thing that you think might work for you by going out and saying something extremely stupid like "derrr Chandler Jones is not Von Miller".
    Yaa I think we all know that captain obvious

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •