Page 306 of 412 FirstFirst ... 206 256 296 304 305 306 307 308 316 356 406 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,590 of 6170
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Yep. Another draft class like 2018, this team featuring a quality starting QB, CB, DL, maybe OL and ILB and we are set for several good years
    Do we credit this draft to Kubiak or is it more of an 80/20 split with John?

This is one of the best draft classes I can remember since Shanahans 2006 draft
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...shanahans-best

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post

You can credit it to whoever you want. Doesn't mean it is the correct direction of credit. In any given draft there are so many people involved in advice in reference to each player. Ultimately, it's up to John to pull the trigger on whose advice he takes to heart the most and feels confident in as well. The change in attitude toward the style of player could be the addition of Kubiak. It could be a general sense of learning from past mistakes. It could be some guy we don't even know about. Or, it could be a combination of factors. Maybe, we should credit the group instead of one guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    I was listening to a really great interview with Phillip Rivers and Brett Favre last night on Sirius before the TNF game and they were talking about all the variables that make a QB, coach, game plan look great or awful. Way too much to go into here but it was enlightening.

I was so done with VJ after Houston kicked our butts, but now I really respect how hard the players are trying in spite of adversity of epic proportions. I'm pretty sure our rookies are going to come out swinging for the fences this Sunday. That's what coaches do, fire up players when two Pro Bowler's go down and the odds are not in your favor.

We have some savvy vets and some willing rooks fixin' to put a hurt on anyone that gets in our way! If we lose we lose, so it wasn't our year like 31 other teams. I guarantee we will go down swinging and that's all I can really ask of our team.
    Good post my friend. Of course I have come to expect that from you. Always a friendly voice, but with a good message. And positive is the better tract in my opinion, if one weighs all the facts and has the objectivity to deal with what needs to be dealt with. No bright glasses, just good judgement integrated with a friendlier approach.

Just like you, I have wanted to move on from the HC (and for me, the QB), Hey, can't help what we feel as individuals. But given the recent run, even I have question marks about my feelings. Not to say that I value any form of victory as a superior outcome over any form of loss, because I don't. There are good losses, and definitely bad wins. But 3 in a row, and with some apparent motivated play, tells me that all is not wrong in Mile High.

Maybe this is where I part with some others....maybe we will be a 500 team with the current HC and QB....time will tell. We may in fact be a 10 and 6 team, and that's pretty special, given our record just last season. But the way I currently assess things, I would still prefer we make an adjustment at HC and QB. Why? Because, pending how we finish, I still believe we can be a long term contender with the right folks leading the show. I guess I am looking to max what we have, not just roll with it.

Those are my inner beliefs. But at the same time, I have empathy and hopefully some level of logic, and from what I can decipher, both men deserve to finish this year with nothing but support. I saw VJ losing his job at mid season, but from here on in, I prefer to leave him be...let him do his job without continuous flack from multiple sources, and see what he can do with this roster.

I think he deserves that.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-08-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I think we still need to go 8-8 or 9-7, if not its time for change. If we win out, and go 10-6, VJ is coach of the year!
    Thatís what Iím saying but nobody wants to go that route in discussions right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Good post my friend. Of course I have come to expect that from you. Always a friendly voice, but with a good message. And positive is the better tract in my opinion, if one weighs all the facts and has the objectivity to deal with what needs to be dealt with. No bright glasses, just good judgement integrated with a friendlier approach.

Just like you, I have wanted to move on from the HC (and for me, the QB), Hey, can't help what we feel as individuals. But given the recent run, even I have question marks about my feelings. Not to say that I value any form of victory as a superior outcome over any form of loss, because I don't. There are good losses, and definitely bad wins. But 3 in a row, and with some apparent motivated play, tells me that all is not wrong in Mile High.

Maybe this is where I part with some others....maybe we will be a 500 team with the current HC and QB....time will tell. We may in fact be a 10 and 6 team, and that's pretty special, given our record just last season. But the way I currently assess things, I would still prefer we make an adjustment at HC and QB. Why? Because, pending how we finish, I still believe we can be a long term contender with the right folks leading the show. I guess I am looking to max what we have, not just roll with it.

Those are my inner beliefs. But at the same time, I have empathy and hopefully some level of logic, and from what I can decipher, both men deserve to finish this year with nothing but support. I saw VJ losing his job at mid season, but from here on in, I prefer to leave him be...let him do his job without continuous flack from multiple sources, and see what he can do with this roster.

I think he deserves that.
    Good post as well CanDB. I have been one who all along have leaned to the side of giving VJ a fair amount of time to assess his performance, and I felt one year (there were the fire VJ chants from the start of this year) wasn't a fair amount of time. I'll admit that my stance of defending VJ was severely tested during the middle part of the year, but he has seemingly stabilized the team for now. I try to be objective though, and I certainly understand and respect those who hold the opinion that he isn't the right coach for the team. Differing opinions are good and can lead to interesting debates. Those that are truly objective can acknowledge good points from the other side of a discussion while still holding to their opinion. The only time I really take issue with someone's post is when they seem so entrenched in their stance that they refuse to give credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I was up with you until the kool-aide part.

I don't think anybody has forgotten last year (Bills, Giants, 8-game losing streak anybody?) or losses we suffered through this year. Most that I have seen that have taken a step back have done so knowing full what we have endured.

I really like your point about also considering the contrasts from early records other successful coaches have had.

Having more tolerance for VJ this season and possibly next season, to me, isn't forgetting what has happened but seeing what has changed. If VJ is growing as a coach well, as the coach of this team I am all for it and want more of it. At the end of the season if he hasn't already cemented his position for next year with the FO they will have to answer the question about who could come in and make things better than they are now. And I honestly think where we are as a team is a bit fragile - can't really explain it - but would change hurt the obvious good we have seen in recent weeks? I don't just count the 3 recent wins as good, the KC loss (yes with some blunders) was an overall great game that looked like a different team.

So, no, I don't think it's kool-aide, pie-in-the-sky thinking people are having with VJ as of late. It's more like hope benefiting from growth that feeds more hope, yet with eyes wide open.
    Given Vance's entire body of work to critique, I think it's wholly fair to say that there's at least a 1/4 - 1/8 teaspoon of half-strength Orange Kool-Aid in any newfound excitement with him over winning a few games.

People can always (but don't always) improve and hone their skill-set, becoming more capable and competent in their respective positions. This, we certainly hope for...but are not immediately convinced after a recent string of successes that it's a foregone conclusion with Vance.

"Hope" is the operative word. Hope springs eternal. Hope yields excitement and anticipation...which many of us as Broncos fans have been a tad low on for the past year and a half. A sudden spark and for hungry fans, that can be all it takes to renew that magical twinkle in their eye.

But, I do think LM is right, that there's at least some Orange Kool-Aid here. But hey - `tis the season for miracles! Scoop me up some of that tasty magic, and let's ride this thing to the playoffs! Anything can happen in a game of skill and chance - and we're not out of this fight yet.

Credit for a draft goes to the scouts for recognizing the talent, the decision maker for getting the player, the position coaches for teaching the player how to succeed in the NFL and the higher level coaches for making the choices which allow the player to have a good chance to succeed.

Most media reports and articles want to give the impression NFL success is simple...usually focusing on a few names as reason for success.

Success in the NFL happens because of a lot of different people.

Quote Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
    Good post as well CanDB. I have been one who all along have leaned to the side of giving VJ a fair amount of time to assess his performance, and I felt one year (there were the fire VJ chants from the start of this year) wasn't a fair amount of time. I'll admit that my stance of defending VJ was severely tested during the middle part of the year, but he has seemingly stabilized the team for now. I try to be objective though, and I certainly understand and respect those who hold the opinion that he isn't the right coach for the team. Differing opinions are good and can lead to interesting debates. Those that are truly objective can acknowledge good points from the other side of a discussion while still holding to their opinion. The only time I really take issue with someone's post is when they seem so entrenched in their stance that they refuse to give credit where credit is due.
    Thx....more important, very well stated! Your take is the right take. I concur. Not to say I don't dig in on certain topics, which does not always lend to good, open debate....but at the same time I believe in giving some support to those who I may not back completely, but are being given a bit of a bad deal.

I give half the credit to VJ for the 5-11 record that gave us such excellent draft position. The rest is subdivided between Kubiak, Russell, and Elway.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I give half the credit to VJ for the 5-11 record that gave us such excellent draft position. The rest is subdivided between Kubiak, Russell, and Elway.
    lol Well played. That's certainly one way of giving credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Given Vance's entire body of work to critique, I think it's wholly fair to say that there's at least a 1/4 - 1/8 teaspoon of half-strength Orange Kool-Aid in any newfound excitement with him over winning a few games.

People can always (but don't always) improve and hone their skill-set, becoming more capable and competent in their respective positions. This, we certainly hope for...but are not immediately convinced after a recent string of successes that it's a foregone conclusion with Vance.

"Hope" is the operative word. Hope springs eternal. Hope yields excitement and anticipation...which many of us as Broncos fans have been a tad low on for the past year and a half. A sudden spark and for hungry fans, that can be all it takes to renew that magical twinkle in their eye.

But, I do think LM is right, that there's at least some Orange Kool-Aid here. But hey - `tis the season for miracles! Scoop me up some of that tasty magic, and let's ride this thing to the playoffs! Anything can happen in a game of skill and chance - and we're not out of this fight yet.
    I for one have looked at his whole body of work, and though the overall record is bad I can look at things in segments and evaluate them. Last year was bad, no doubt. Not only the 5-11 record, but a lot of the losses were blowouts and it looked like the team quit. This year, the team has been highly competitive in every game except the Jets game. They had a chance to beat some of the top teams in the league, and did beat a few. More importantly, the team doesn't appear to have quit and are playing hard. The recent 3 game winning streak is just another sign that things appear to be improving, and that does excite some of us. Saying there is some measure of "drinking the Orange Kool-Aid" in our excitement is like saying there is at least some "haterism" involved with those who seem to be critical a lot. And no one wants to be labeled a hater.

That said though, I do like orange kool-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
    I for one have looked at his whole body of work, and though the overall record is bad I can look at things in segments and evaluate them. Last year was bad, no doubt. Not only the 5-11 record, but a lot of the losses were blowouts and it looked like the team quit. This year, the team has been highly competitive in every game except the Jets game. They had a chance to beat some of the top teams in the league, and did beat a few. More importantly, the team doesn't appear to have quit and are playing hard. The recent 3 game winning streak is just another sign that things appear to be improving, and that does excite some of us. Saying there is some measure of "drinking the Orange Kool-Aid" in our excitement is like saying there is at least some "haterism" involved with those who seem to be critical a lot. And no one wants to be labeled a hater.

That said though, I do like orange kool-aid.
    Haterism?!? No...no haterism...just some skepticism with Vance, based upon his entire body of work.

To put it another way...if the Broncos end the season at 8-8 and John Harbaugh is available, I'd like to think that would be a fairly easy decision for Elway.

Conversely, if we win out and make the playoffs...I'll happily hop on board the Vance wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Haterism?!? No...no haterism...just some skepticism with Vance, based upon his entire body of work.

To put it another way...if the Broncos end the season at 8-8 and John Harbaugh is available, I'd like to think that would be a fairly easy decision for Elway.

Conversely, if we win out and make the playoffs...I'll happily hop on board the Vance wagon.
    Re-read what I said. I wasn't calling anyone a hater. There are definitely things to be skeptical about, just as there are things to be optimistic about. I simply said to imply that those of us who have some excitement and optimism are sorta drinking the kool-aid would be equivalent to implying that those who are skeptical are sorta hating. I think we can disagree in our opinions without labeling anyone as either.
    Last edited by cirehawk; 12-08-2018 at 04:02 PM.

He has made some steps in the right direction lately but it may not be enough. If a coach like Harbaugh or McCarthy come knocking on Elway's door I can see him making the switch. People need to remember he wanted to make the switch last year and had to be convinced by Kub's to let him stay. All people need to do is watch the Texans game to realize he won't be here next year. Imo, it will take a playoff appearance to save his job.

I keep flip flopping on whether to get on board with VJ staying here but the more I ponder it he needs to go and this team needs a veteran HC considering how young it will be next year. I don't think VJ will be ready or have the patience to handle a rookie QB, an entire WR core on 3 years or younger and the same for RB's.
    Last edited by JvDub95; 12-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

We need to remember the cards he was dealt last year. VJ only drew a pair of WR on off. to bluff his way thru the season and it become apparent early on he had nothing else. This year he has a better hand and looks like each game his hand is improving, and as of now, he is all in. But, the injury bug is drawing cards from the bottom of the deck. Will he still be at the table after the last hand has been shown.....stay tuned.