Thread: Superstitious?

Superstitious?

Like Stevie sang it:

"When you believe in things that you don't understand
    Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh"

But hey hey....many of us have our superstitions. Check out the sports world and you will see many, many of them revealed....especially in a playoff run. Guys grow beards. Players don't wash certain garments. And during regular game days, it is not uncommon to hear about players having certain rituals, never to be broken!! Even when nothing great comes out of them. Once upon a time it did, and it is no time to turn on what worked for you in the past. Odds are, other than a mental expectation, the specific behaviour probably does not result in more positive outcomes. But one never knows for sure. And some of these actions are not really superstitions rather than process....like a batter stepping out of the box on every pitch (which BTW, I strongly dislike!!).

I have a few I guess. Not as many, given I am not as competitive as I once was, and given I do not have the same job pressures. But if I am watching a tight, exciting game, my go to position is to stand up. For some reason I think my team will win if I do so. Who knows why? Probably cause it worked...waaaay back, in a big game. Probably also because I am too excited to sit!! In that regard, sometimes I stop watching and think maybe things will get better while I am away. Then I will resume watching and hope to see a better situation unravelling. Again...must have worked a couple of times in the past.

This leads me to a side road of this topic.....do we really, really believe that we, as individuals, impact big games?? I know, many will remind you about the power of positive thinking, and conversely, the darkness that follows you around if you are a negative so and so. I believe in the positive route, but I still do not think my positive vibes will change the outcome of a SB, or any type of significant event. Does John Elway wake up and wonder, "is Can feeling it for Trevor or Brock or Paxton today?" Or, can we count on him to stand up when we need him to? Or does Von think, "why go hard if Can feels negative about us this Sunday?"

Anyway....what about you folks. Superstitions anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Like Stevie sang it:

"When you believe in things that you don't understand
    Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh"

But hey hey....many of us have our superstitions. Check out the sports world and you will see many, many of them revealed....especially in a playoff run. Guys grow beards. Players don't wash certain garments. And during regular game days, it is not uncommon to hear about players having certain rituals, never to be broken!! Even when nothing great comes out of them. Once upon a time it did, and it is no time to turn on what worked for you in the past. Odds are, other than a mental expectation, the specific behaviour probably does not result in more positive outcomes. But one never knows for sure. And some of these actions are not really superstitions rather than process....like a batter stepping out of the box on every pitch (which BTW, I strongly dislike!!).

I have a few I guess. Not as many, given I am not as competitive as I once was, and given I do not have the same job pressures. But if I am watching a tight, exciting game, my go to position is to stand up. For some reason I think my team will win if I do so. Who knows why? Probably cause it worked...waaaay back, in a big game. Probably also because I am too excited to sit!! In that regard, sometimes I stop watching and think maybe things will get better while I am away. Then I will resume watching and hope to see a better situation unravelling. Again...must have worked a couple of times in the past.

This leads me to a side road of this topic.....do we really, really believe that we, as individuals, impact big games?? I know, many will remind you about the power of positive thinking, and conversely, the darkness that follows you around if you are a negative so and so. I believe in the positive route, but I still do not think my positive vibes will change the outcome of a SB, or any type of significant event. Does John Elway wake up and wonder, "is Can feeling it for Trevor or Brock or Paxton today?" Or, can we count on him to stand up when we need him to? Or does Von think, "why go hard if Can feels negative about us this Sunday?"

Anyway....what about you folks. Superstitions anyone?
    Hey bud, I’ve always likened superstition with ‘post hoc ergo propter hoc,’ or logical fallacy. But that certainly doesn’t diminish the impact of whatever supposed result said fallacy produced. Look at the “placebo effect” to see the power of mind over action and result…it’s enough to throw many a controlled study when the sugar pill was 98% as effective. I think in some cases, it all merges with positive thinking and evolves into tradition. Many superstitions are fascinating…the weirdest one I have is I have to buy chapstick far away from where I live. Any chapstick bought in Southern California is just bad mojo and incurs the terrible wrath of the gods. Chapstick purchased in some far away land is good mojo (try it, it will change your life )!

We’re an endlessly fascinating species, no doubt.

Only when it comes to sports
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Hey bud, I’ve always likened superstition with ‘post hoc ergo propter hoc,’ or logical fallacy. But that certainly doesn’t diminish the impact of whatever supposed result said fallacy produced. Look at the “placebo effect” to see the power of mind over action and result…it’s enough to throw many a controlled study when the sugar pill was 98% as effective. I think in some cases, it all merges with positive thinking and evolves into tradition. Many superstitions are fascinating…the weirdest one I have is I have to buy chapstick far away from where I live. Any chapstick bought in Southern California is just bad mojo and incurs the terrible wrath of the gods. Chapstick purchased in some far away land is good mojo (try it, it will change your life )!

We’re an endlessly fascinating species, no doubt.
    So pal....if I buy chapstick from far away, can I buy it in Southern Cal?

And yes....never, ever underestimate the power of the mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So pal....if I buy chapstick from far away, can I buy it in Southern Cal?

And yes....never, ever underestimate the power of the mind!!
    Yeah, that would probably be good mojo chapstick for you. It would bring all kinds of good vibes plus keep your lips from chapping (it's just bad mojo if I do it here)! When I was up in Canada, I got two chapsticks in BC...they were awesome and kept evil at bay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Yeah, that would probably be good mojo chapstick for you. It would bring all kinds of good vibes plus keep your lips from chapping (it's just bad mojo if I do it here)! When I was up in Canada, I got two chapsticks in BC...they were awesome and kept evil at bay!
    You really have to seriously consider starting up a Chapstick thread!!

2019 Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay
    2013 Adopt-a-poster: #87Birdman, AZ Snake Fan,
    BSD, Housh, Humcalc and Sophia

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I am on the same page....just a little.

No, I don't believe in nonsense.