Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Many GMs and personnel directors fail in draft evaluations. Look no further than our own front office in the past 5 years. The difference is that Mayock's mistakes get much more exposure because his job required his opinions to be aired on TV. He will not have any power to make decisions for the Raiders, serving only as a different voice for Gruden as he makes the key decisions.

The Raiders have a viable QB, the Broncos don't. Big advantage for the Raiders.
    I fully agree.

Mayock will be part of the collaboration, not as the only say in draft selections. But with him in the room, I expect their drafting to get even better.

And yes, they not only have a QB, but they now have 3 first rounders and a high second....plus more, plus FA to turn this team into a competitor, and potential contender (in 2 to 3 years).

I was not worried about The Raiders, but now I am paying attention. I expect them to become a tough, no nonsense team, with elements of real talent in key positions. It may take some time to fully get over The Mack deal, but Cooper for a 1st rounder might be a bigger surprise. I predict Cooper will become less reliable in '19, when he starts to get comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Of course this writer forgets to mention that Elway surrounded Manning with offensive talent and built a defense that carried him to a SB victory.
    I think the building of that defence was Elways greatest achievement to date as a GM. He recognised that with Peyton declining, the route to success had to be radically recalibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Only the Broncos The Seahawks and The Patriots have gone to the Suprbowl TWICE in the last four years.

I'm convinced...

"I hate to lose, I hate it more now than ever!" ~ John Elway December, 31 2018
    We're a demanding fanbase and that's a very good thing. However, sometimes in my opinion we lose sight of the big picture. It's not a matter of having a couple of bad seasons. This happens to every team. It's how we react to the situation.

Do I think Elway can get the best HC to match our requirements? Yes. Do I think we can draft as well on 2019 as we did in 20
    18? Why not?

Broncos have struggled with drafting, more than anything else. They seem to draft players higher than they should go. I do believe they turned a corner last year, so perhaps Kubiak made a difference there. Regardless they need to fix the line it has been awful for a while. DBs too. The defense has been in decline for a while now. In reality it is time to understand the team just isn't that good anymore. Talib, Ward, Ware, Trevathan, Malik Jackson is a lot of defensive talent that has left over the last 3 years and they didn't replace many of them with their draft picks. The mark of a great organization is the ability to move on from veterans and add through the draft and smart free agent signings.

Very few teams go to the super bowl a few times and stay a super bowl contender. Let's give Elway a little more time. VJ needed to go because he doesn't have the team playing above their talent, he has them playing below. I think as constructed they could have won a few more games. Something is missing with the staff at the moment.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post

It sounded like he was even trying to convince himself that this is still a top landing spot for a HC.
    Yeah it did.

I donít think the ownership issue is a selling point.

Heís going to have to be able to sell the candidates on the trust providing the necessary resources.

At least he has public statements from Joe Ellis to use in his favor.

He didnít give a ringing endorsement for Keenum, so heís going to have trouble selling the quarterback situation as a positive.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    We're a demanding fanbase and that's a very good thing. However, sometimes in my opinion we lose sight of the big picture. It's not a matter of having a couple of bad seasons. This happens to every team. It's how we react to the situation.

Do I think Elway can get the best HC to match our requirements? Yes. Do I think we can draft as well on 2019 as we did in 20
    18? Why not?
    This happens to bad teams, and we are a good team that hardly ever has 2 bad seasons. Mediocracy isn't a standard in the mile high city. Any player that has that attitude needs to pack there bags!

Elway recognizes the SB50 honeymoon is over for him in Denver

By CHAD JENSEN 7 hours ago

As a general manager, no NFL front-office czar ever won more games in his first 100 games than John Elway did for the Denver Broncos. Literally, ever.

Not Bill Polian (HoF), not Ted Thompson, not Carl Peterson, Bobby Beathard, you name it. John Elway has them all beat.

In his first five seasons in the front office, the Broncos won five-straight Division titles, won six playoff games, appeared in two Super Bowls, and won Super Bowl 50.

‘It was the Peyton Manning effect’, you say. Hogwash.

How long was Manning in Indianapolis, slogging away for Bill Polian? 14 years in total, 12 of which were under Polian’s front-office stewardship. How many Super Bowl appearances did Manning’s Colts make? Two, winning one. In 12 years.

Manning went to two Super Bowls in four seasons in Denver and he should have gone to three. The 2012 Broncos were arguably the best, most well-balanced roster Elway ever assembled but terrible decision-making on the part of John Fox and some whacky bounces of the football, saw that team get upset at home in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

No, John Elway‘s front-office resume certainly benefited from Manning (Elway gets credit for signing Manning, after all), but the moves Elway made in the Draft and free agency, the way he assembled those teams, the coaching hires he made — that’s what made the ultimate difference, accelerating Manning's production in Denver exponentially.

Since Elway arrived, the Broncos rank among the NFL leaders in total wins (84), regular-season wins (78), Division titles, Super Bowl appearances and World Championships during that span. Elway is also the only NFL GM in the last seven years to acquire future Pro Bowl players through the NFL Draft, street free agency, unrestricted free agency and college free agency.

That showcases a real savvy and talent for personnel and managing Football Operations, although it did feel like he lost sight of that knack for a time. But on the heels of another losing season, and the third-straight year without a playoff berth, none of Elway’s prolific history in Denver matters anymore, according to him. He’s officially in uncharted waters.

“It’s part of the job," Elway said in a sit-down interview with Mike Klis of 9News on Monday. “I get that. That’s my job. If we don’t win, I’m as much a target as anybody else. I don’t have any expectations that I should be held to any other standard than anybody else in this position and has my role.

“My path, my history here in Denver does not have anything to do with what’s going to happen going forward. I get that. We won five and six games the last two years and it’s my job to get that fixed."

Elway is saying that he recognizes that he can no longer glide off the accomplishments of the past. Despite his astounding successes as GM and football czar, all that is out the window after firing his hand-picked head coach, Vance Joseph, who was supposed to lead the Broncos into the next great era of winning.

What's next for the Denver Broncos? Don’t miss out on any news and analysis, take a second to sign up for our FREE Broncos newsletter, delivered three times daily!

As someone who covers the team, and has a finger on the pulse of Broncos Country, there’s no question that the honeymoon phase is over for Elway. The Super Bowl 50 bloom is off the rose.

To the fans, that feels like ancient history. I believe that’s one of the reasons Elway appeared to be so shaken during his Black Monday press conference. Not only was he just a couple hours removed from canning Joseph face-to-face, but he feels the discontent in the fanbase, as evidenced by the 15,000 some odd no-shows at Mile High Stadium in the season finale.

“I’m just like everybody else and I have been my whole life," he said. “You (reporters) put me on a pedestal. My mindset has always been the same in the fact that I’m only as good as the people around me and people that I hire and that work together and try to get the best solution for problems that we do have. It’s a great challenge for us. Disappointed about it, but it’s also a new start for us.

“Vance did a nice job for us. He worked his tail off but ultimately, he didn’t win enough games. Our job is to find that next guy who can get us back to the playoffs and get us competitive."

Elway’s contract runs through the 2021 season. So does that of team President Joe Ellis. That three-year window might inform the Broncos’ search for a new head coach, and perhaps give us a clue as to Elway’s paradigm as it relates to rebuilding.

Elway doesn’t necessarily have five or ten years to rebuild the Broncos. He’s got to find a way to get it done within the next three years, which can happen — if Elway hits it out of the park with his head-coaching hire and he finds a viable franchise quarterback in the coming Draft.

Otherwise, this turnaround might take a little longer than three years, with the Mahomes-led Kansas City Chiefs poised to dominate the AFC West for the next 10-plus years, the L.A. Chargers teeming with young, Pro Bowl talent, and the Raiders in possession of a grip of first-round picks on the way to a new location in Las Vegas.

John Elway most certainly has his work cut out for him, but I’ll tell you this. Such a competitor does not shrink away from the challenge. Elway runs toward the burning house, not away from it.

The three Super Bowl rings that decorate his Hall-of-Fame fingers are evidence of that. Broncos Country’s faith in Elway might be shaken, but the fanbase would be unwise to completely lose belief in Elway’s wherewithal to turn the ship around. Give the Duke of Denver one last benefit of the doubt.

source: https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ver-127223512/

I would say he has (or should have) until the end of his contract to right the ship. Then no one has to make the dramatic, controversial move of firing John Elway if he fails; he just won't get his contract renewed which is how Carolina let Fox go.

And I would have to agree somewhat with the MHR article Uncertainty looms as Broncos brace for significant changes where the author wrote:

"Whoever the next head coach is will inherit an ambiguous pool of talent and should be given several years of grace. Patience must be exercised from the Broncos’ brass because it simply isn’t realistic to believe a new head coach will be able to transform this roster into a competitor immediately."

So the next HC should probably have about three years too depending on how they do in the first two years, how it's trending.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Elway is massively overrated as a GM.

If this year goes as the last 2 have, he needs to be shown the door, possibly banned from the state of Colorado.

His contract is up in 2021, I doubt he shown the door before then. After next season I bet he is given an extension....

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post

If this year goes as the last 2 have, he needs to be shown the door, possibly banned from the state of Colorado.
    He provided the talent that Peyton Manning used to run one of the greatest offenses of all time. He then constructed one of the greatest defenses of all time, which won a SB. Are you grateful for any of that?
    Last edited by gerontion; 01-03-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Elway is not the problem. Joe Ellis is THE problem. Dude needs to go...immediately. He is rumored to have blocked a Mike Shanahan HC hire that Elway wanted when hiring VJ. Now, it's surfacing that Ellis is meeting with HC candidates privately, in addition to the Broncos brass meeting with the candidates. This is essentially corporate micro-managing. The Denver Broncos need to get the ownership situation ironed out and dissolve the trust.

Quote Originally Posted by brutledge79 View Post
    Elway is not the problem. Joe Ellis is THE problem. Dude needs to go...immediately. He is rumored to have blocked a Mike Shanahan HC hire that Elway wanted when hiring VJ. Now, it's surfacing that Ellis is meeting with HC candidates privately, in addition to the Broncos brass meeting with the candidates. This is essentially corporate micro-managing. The Denver Broncos need to get the ownership situation ironed out and dissolve the trust.
    No way all of this is on Joe Ellis. He does seem to be a problem, but I don't think he is the problem. It's true great players usually don't make great coaches/front office personnel, but I don't see how Elway has failed badly on every QB since Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post

I not too sure about the part of being banned from the state of Colorado?

Remember,,,,
    ( XXXII & MVP of XXXIII )

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    He provided the talent that Peyton Manning used to run one of the greatest offenses of all time. He then constructed one of the greatest defenses of all time, which won a SB. Are you grateful for any of that?
    I am grateful for Peyton and what he brought to this organization. Elway said it himself, Peyton made it much much easier to sign players during his time here.
    Since then, he has done nothing but run the team into the ground.