Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    by that line of thinking we could close "anything goes", or every forum that isn't about football, right?

P&R touches every one of us daily in our lives...I say open it up
    How many bitter fights do you see in anything but football talking about weather 101?

It's a very charged topic that causes a heck of a lot of anger and frustration. It's something better left alone.

There's always the P&R at the other forum we both post at if you are that desperate for it.

When my wife and I were honeymooning in Thailand, we ran into... maybe 5 americans the entire 3 weeks we were there. 90% of the "white people" we ran into were European, many of whom were Dutch and Germans.

The Dutch and the Germans famously love to rib each other. So, I'd often hear them making fun of one another and disagreeing on politics. However, US politics were a very common discussion point in conversations I would overhear. At one point one of them asked if I talked about politics much in my country. I said that I did, but many view it as "taboo" and usually it is off-limits. He straight looked at me and said:

"This is one of many reasons your country is viewed as broken by most around the world. Do you see the irony in being considered one of leading "free" nations, yet the discussion of politics within it is considered "taboo?""

The greater irony about this, is we were discussing politics in Thailand, a place where you can be jailed for criticizing the government. Later in the trip, during a cooking class, our teacher/host was telling us despite the woes of the current administration, we Americans were incredibly lucky we had the right to vote (Thai people don't) and simply discuss politics in the open.

In the end, we all love the Broncos. Most importantly, we're all human and are in this together. It's truly a shame that so many struggle to have civil discussions about politics. I used to run a "Political Debate" group on facebook and invited people from all sides of opinion. If someone personally attacked someone else, they were warned. If they continued to be uncivil, they'd be banned. I think it's a wonderful idea to have a P&R section, highly moderated, with a 'discuss at your own risk.' If you cannot behave yourself and discuss as a mature adult, then don't go in P&R, otherwise there is a chance you can lose your privileges to discuss ANY topic on this forum.

We're very fortunate to be able to openly discuss politics in this country. We should treat it as such:

"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you." -Pericles

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    When my wife and I were honeymooning in Thailand, we ran into... maybe 5 americans the entire 3 weeks we were there. 90% of the "white people" we ran into were European, many of whom were Dutch and Germans.

The Dutch and the Germans famously love to rib each other. So, I'd often hear them making fun of one another and disagreeing on politics. However, US politics were a very common discussion point in conversations I would overhear. At one point one of them asked if I talked about politics much in my country. I said that I did, but many view it as "taboo" and usually it is off-limits. He straight looked at me and said:

"This is one of many reasons your country is viewed as broken by most around the world. Do you see the irony in being considered one of leading "free" nations, yet the discussion of politics within it is considered "taboo?""

The greater irony about this, is we were discussing politics in Thailand, a place where you can be jailed for criticizing the government. Later in the trip, during a cooking class, our teacher/host was telling us despite the woes of the current administration, we Americans were incredibly lucky we had the right to vote (Thai people don't) and simply discuss politics in the open.

In the end, we all love the Broncos. Most importantly, we're all human and are in this together. It's truly a shame that so many struggle to have civil discussions about politics. I used to run a "Political Debate" group on facebook and invited people from all sides of opinion. If someone personally attacked someone else, they were warned. If they continued to be uncivil, they'd be banned. I think it's a wonderful idea to have a P&R section, highly moderated, with a 'discuss at your own risk.' If you cannot behave yourself and discuss as a mature adult, then don't go in P&R, otherwise there is a chance you can lose your privileges to discuss ANY topic on this forum.

We're very fortunate to be able to openly discuss politics in this country. We should treat it as such:

"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you." -Pericles
    I agree with the right and obligation, really, to discuss politics. However....the way the things were going before the descision to close P&R doesn’t lead me to believe it will get better.

Out CoC, albeit very strict by message board standards is not equipped to put those that get very geared on a short leash in that forum. And it seems every time action was taken, it was assumed it was over political issues not that posters behaviour,

So, although I don’t speak for the Mods as a whole group, I for one, am happy to have us focus on football, and other light hearted topics here.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I agree with the right and obligation, really, to discuss politics. However....the way the things were going before the descision to close P&R doesn’t lead me to believe it will get better.

Out CoC, albeit very strict by message board standards is not equipped to put those that get very geared on a short leash in that forum. And it seems every time action was taken, it was assumed it was over political issues not that posters behaviour,

So, although I don’t speak for the Mods as a whole group, I for one, am happy to have us focus on football, and other light hearted topics here.
    I'm with you. Moderating a politics specific board was exhausting when I was doing it on FB. As much as I think we SHOULD discuss politics... I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to open one, as it would most likely need a lot of moderation.

The odd thing, despite loving discussing politics and being part of this board since 2011, I somehow never found/stumbled across the P/R section of the board. Heh.
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 01-08-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Access to the Locker Room and P&R is liked to those who have reached the rank of starter.

Almost there

How frank should I be?

We have seen the best of people and we have seen the worst of people in P&R. Through the years, at least 2 members were permanently banned from the MB as a direct result of their behavior in P&R. And this past year, a few more should have joined them.

It took a lot of our time. At one point, that's all we did. Football? What football? When one forum takes that much time, something is wrong.

We tried warnings. We tried being peacemakers. We tried discipline. And the results? Complaints. Some would be surprised at the type of PMs mods receive.

If this was the only platform for you all to talk politics, it might be different. But it isn't. There are other websites that you can go to.

We are not saying that P&R will never open again. Just not right now.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I'm with you. Moderating a politics specific board was exhausting when I was doing it on FB. As much as I think we SHOULD discuss politics... I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to open one, as it would most likely need a lot of moderation.

The odd thing, despite loving discussing politics and being part of this board since 2011, I somehow never found/stumbled across the P/R section of the board. Heh.
    I think "civil" political discourse in the current era of this country (and world) is an unfortunate pipe dream. Almost any topic will devolve into name calling, flaming, and often screaming outrage. Perfectly respectable Broncos fans/football posters become political enemies...and little good follows.

I think if admins had the capabilities to just easily block otherwise good posters from P&R who received P&R infractions, that might be an option, but I don't believe that's the case. I think it's whole board or nothing at all. Which would make moderating P&R almost impossible without outright banning good people.

Or revise the CoC, so that "anything goes" in P&R...and that's not really an option as the official message board of the Denver Broncos.

I think that just leaves shackling P&R until the various political parties (and their representative constituents) of our time, can at some point, tune down the fetid political squabbling from 'Tsar Bomba' back to the normalcy of 'Castle Bravo.'

Just my two cents.

Funny thing; just the other day I was on my favorite political message boards making an argument as to why they should have a Denver Broncos section in their boards. I mean after I get done posting my thoughts on my political views and religious views, nothing quite tops it off like posting my thoughts on the NFL draft or personnel.

If they do open up such a section, then there is really no reason to come here. Now, if I can just get them to open up sections on Home Improvements, Cooking, and Contracts Law it would be total one-stop-shopping and I'd never have to go anywhere else.

Adopted Mod: Best Mod Ever: EddieMac
    Adopted New Person: Peapod
    Adopted Video: WatercoolerJam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozu5KdXhL0

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Access to the Locker Room and P&R is liked to those who have reached the rank of starter.

Almost there
    Ah, I see! Apparently I need to post popular opinions more often! 10,762 posts in 4 years vs my 1,048 in my 6 years. I'm slacking. Haha

Just my thoughts.....

Normally I would stay away from P&R, because I learned from a very young age, those were topics you typically stayed away from. All in all, prior to last year, I can hardly remember posting anything in P&R. Why, because to some levels, those topics involve very deep and sometimes passionate beliefs. So, if you are engaging in such topics with pretty much strangers, the chances of things going off the rails are quite good. Having said that, there is a more telling concern with regard to a specific political situation that exists today.....that it has in fact caused friends, and yes families, to split. And when a situation has that severe of an outcome on folks who love one another, it is not surprising that a fairly open thread on a board where most folks have anonymity and are not too close (in fact, most folks are strangers to some degree), it is not surprising that some "unsatisfactory" commentary took place.

So, given this is a football site, and given that at least one topic has caused so much division for folks who care about one another (in real life), I fully understand why it not be allowed to continue here.

It's one thing to disagree and easily walk away.....like whether or not a certain player is good or elite. But if you press the most sensitive of issues, it is not easy to walk away, or try to seek common ground. We are talking deep moral beliefs in some cases. And for some of us, and yes that would include me, there is no real middle ground in certain discussion (I can give examples but that is more vivid than need be). Unfortunately, some of us have trouble looking the other way. Call it bad behaviour or whatever, but it does not surprise me, given the complete opposite viewpoints that are being debated.

On the other hand, there are some topics that I see no issue with.....like Climate Change. Just bring some facts, and lets see where it goes.

Just my opinion. Thanks for listening. You may not agree with my perspective, but you might agree that a number of topics (if not all) be closed for good. And sorry for being involved to the extent I was. One thread I regret starting.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Just my thoughts.....

Normally I would stay away from P&R, because I learned from a very young age, those were topics you typically stayed away from. All in all, prior to last year, I can hardly remember posting anything in P&R. Why, because to some levels, those topics involve very deep and sometimes passionate beliefs. So, if you are engaging in such topics with pretty much strangers, the chances of things going off the rails are quite good. Having said that, there is a more telling concern with regard to a specific political situation that exists today.....that it has in fact caused friends, and yes families, to split. And when a situation has that severe of an outcome on folks who love one another, it is not surprising that a fairly open thread on a board where most folks have anonymity and are not too close (in fact, most folks are strangers to some degree), it is not surprising that some "unsatisfactory" commentary took place.

So, given this is a football site, and given that at least one topic has caused so much division for folks who care about one another (in real life), I fully understand why it not be allowed to continue here.

It's one thing to disagree and easily walk away.....like whether or not a certain player is good or elite. But if you press the most sensitive of issues, it is not easy to walk away, or try to seek common ground. We are talking deep moral beliefs in some cases. And for some of us, and yes that would include me, there is no real middle ground in certain discussion (I can give examples but that is more vivid than need be). Unfortunately, some of us have trouble looking the other way. Call it bad behaviour or whatever, but it does not surprise me, given the complete opposite viewpoints that are being debated.

On the other hand, there are some topics that I see no issue with.....like Climate Change. Just bring some facts, and lets see where it goes.

Just my opinion. Thanks for listening. You may not agree with my perspective, but you might agree that a number of topics (if not all) be closed for good. And sorry for being involved to the extent I was. One thread I regret starting.
    That's optimistic.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    That's optimistic.
    That's one good, positive word to start things rolling with Sam....one brick at a time, even if this may no longer be a bricks and mortar world.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Thank you all for your input. It is very helpful.

I'm quoting Frey because of the bolded. IMO, that is a concern. P&R has been closed since September and we still see this happening. Apparently, members have long memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    That's optimistic.
    Really. Throw the same ingredients into a pan and you get the same results. As I said above, months later, we can still see some of the "bleeding".

To everyone. Please don't turn this into a political discussion. Thanks.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

You open up P&R and you let in the hippies!

Adopted Mod: Best Mod Ever: EddieMac
    Adopted New Person: Peapod
    Adopted Video: WatercoolerJam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozu5KdXhL0

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    You open up P&R and you let in the hippies!
    Oooo the hippies.... can’t have hippies around here..,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles