Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,952

    Situation to monitor

    Seattleís defense. There are a lot of high paid players over there. After the game last night Earl Thomas told Jason to ďcome get himĒ if Seattle decides to let him go. I wouldnít really have interest in Thomas as I like Simmons and think Parks will continue to improve.

    But I have heard Bobby Wagnerís name thrown out as a potential cut candidate. I donít think itíll be him either but I could see KJ Wright being let go and he would go a long way to solving our MLB woes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,406
    I donít think they will pay another inside linebacker while they are paying Marshall.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I donít think they will pay another inside linebacker while they are paying Marshall.
    Wagner is a vast improvement over Brandon Marshall. We need a mean dude who is fast, can cover, and just always seems to be in the play. Mostly we need the meanness.

    Frankly I thought Trevathan was the better ILB to keep. Similar skill sets, but 59 was better in coverage. And he had a better attitude for ILB. Again, Elway dropped him because Trevathan wanted too much money, but ended up paying Marshall the same amount anyway.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,952
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Wagner is a vast improvement over Brandon Marshall. We need a mean dude who is fast, can cover, and just always seems to be in the play. Mostly we need the meanness.

    Frankly I thought Trevathan was the better ILB to keep. Similar skill sets, but 59 was better in coverage. And he had a better attitude for ILB. Again, Elway dropped him because Trevathan wanted too much money, but ended up paying Marshall the same amount anyway.
    Trevathan was absolutely the better LB. The stats were similar but Trevathan and Jackson were great at funneling to Wolfe and Marshall. I remember at the time there were few people on these boards that wanted Jackson/Trevathan over Wolfe/Marshall. Jackson and Trevathan were the impact players.

    Seattle has an out with Bobby Wagner to avoid this backloaded portion of his deal but heís the heart of that front 7. Iíd be surprised if they didnít opt to restructure him. But KJ Wright is one of the best/underrated LBs in the NFL. Very good against the run and good in coverage. I could see them letting him go to try and address the oline as well as trying to resign Graham. Wright would probably be cheaper than guys like Bradham and Zach Brown. Iíd go after him hard to shore up our front 7.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Trevathan was absolutely the better LB. The stats were similar but Trevathan and Jackson were great at funneling to Wolfe and Marshall. I remember at the time there were few people on these boards that wanted Jackson/Trevathan over Wolfe/Marshall. Jackson and Trevathan were the impact players.

    Seattle has an out with Bobby Wagner to avoid this backloaded portion of his deal but heís the heart of that front 7. Iíd be surprised if they didnít opt to restructure him. But KJ Wright is one of the best/underrated LBs in the NFL. Very good against the run and good in coverage. I could see them letting him go to try and address the oline as well as trying to resign Graham. Wright would probably be cheaper than guys like Bradham and Zach Brown. Iíd go after him hard to shore up our front 7.
    Zach Brown is also on my top targets list.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,538
    Marshall looked better when we had Trevathon. Wagner would be a big upgrade.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,406
    Zach Brown sat in free agency last year for awhile and we didnít even make a move for him and he signed a pretty cheap one year deal. This team does not value that inside linebacker posistion at all no reason we couldnít have brought him in. Wouldnít be surprised if they tag Davis and let him start again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,952
    Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Zach Brown sat in free agency last year for awhile and we didnít even make a move for him and he signed a pretty cheap one year deal. This team does not value that inside linebacker posistion at all no reason we couldnít have brought him in. Wouldnít be surprised if they tag Davis and let him start again.
    Oh yeah I know how Elway values the position. But Seattle will also be in a bind with other guys like Bennett. Richardson is a free agent soon. Frank Clark is coming up on an extension pretty soon as well. Lots of highly paid defensive players and a lot of missing pieces on offense despite Wilsonís ability to mask them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Trevathan was absolutely the better LB. The stats were similar but Trevathan and Jackson were great at funneling to Wolfe and Marshall. I remember at the time there were few people on these boards that wanted Jackson/Trevathan over Wolfe/Marshall. Jackson and Trevathan were the impact players.
    And injury prone. Trevathan has only played 20 games in 2 years in Chicago. I loved Danny T. but we were smart not to give a big contract.

    Seattle has an out with Bobby Wagner to avoid this backloaded portion of his deal but he’s the heart of that front 7.
    I think you mean Bennett and Avril are the heart of the front 7.

    For some reason people always want to credit every great defense to an ILB when ILB is one of the least important positions.

    1. Ken Norton Jr. is the heart and soul of the Cowboys defense!

    Except he goes to SF the next year and it's like he was never there.

    2. Ray Lewis is the heart and soul of the Raven's defense!

    Then Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams leave and they go from 1st to 22nd in yards allowed per game and Lewis is getting rag-dolled the next few years.

    3. Brian Urlacher is the heart and soul of the Bears' defense!

    Except it was really Briggs and Tillman.


    ILBs are like running backs. A dime a dozen and best drafted in the mid-to-late rounds. One of the reasons the Seahawks are suffering is because they overpaid for Wagner.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,952
    Wagner played hurt last week (worse than earlier when he had been playing) and they gave up over 200 yards to Gurley. He puts in a whole week of practice and was healthier and they hold Elliot under 100. Granted KJ Wright also came back from a concussion.

    But I digress, when I refer to someone as the heart of the defense, Iím talking about the vocal leader. itís hard for a dlinemen to be that leader because theyíre only worried about whatís going on in regards to their assignment. LBs are most often referred to as the leader of the defense because they have to understand how their assignments interact with every other position on the field much more than any other position. LBs can make or break a defense. Safeties can also fill that role on a defense but they canít make adjustments to the dline. This is why LBs are usually picked to communicate the plays on defense

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,938
    Marshall is absolute trash, anyone who thinks otherwise donít watch the games. Wagner or Wright would be a massive upgrade. As would DeMario Davis or Zach Brown. Either way we desperately need to address the ILB spot next year.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    5,949
    Marshall, good in the run D, incompetent in the pass D. Just about anyone would be an upgrade over Marshall in the pass D.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by kingelway7 View Post
    Marshall, good in the run D, incompetent in the pass D. Just about anyone would be an upgrade over Marshall in the pass D.
    Marshall is not particularly good in run D either. He is soft all the way around. He needs to be cut, hate the way the dude plays. He gets tackles because RBs shoot through the hole and plow over him. He tackles high, prances around like a queen, and is constantly out of position. He isnít worth near the money heís making.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,292
    I really like Kerrigan from Washington !

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Downtown Denver
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Trevathan was absolutely the better LB. The stats were similar but Trevathan and Jackson were great at funneling to Wolfe and Marshall. I remember at the time there were few people on these boards that wanted Jackson/Trevathan over Wolfe/Marshall. Jackson and Trevathan were the impact players.

    Seattle has an out with Bobby Wagner to avoid this backloaded portion of his deal but heís the heart of that front 7. Iíd be surprised if they didnít opt to restructure him. But KJ Wright is one of the best/underrated LBs in the NFL. Very good against the run and good in coverage. I could see them letting him go to try and address the oline as well as trying to resign Graham. Wright would probably be cheaper than guys like Bradham and Zach Brown. Iíd go after him hard to shore up our front 7.
    I disagree on Trevathan.

    Also, it doesnít matter if somebody preferred Jackson/Trevathan, considering how much the combo got paid compared to Wolfe/Marshall..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •