Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos expanding the role of Gary Kubiak

@TroyRenck reports
    Broncos expected to add 2 front office personnel. They have one of smallest staffs in NFL. Having Kubiak's role increase makes sense. He loves draft, scouting and can help with coaching questions if needed

This is great. They need some new minds in there. the Elway/Russell/Heckert combo has been awful

I'd like to see them bring Trent Baalke as well. He knows how to work the Draft Board and built a very good 49ers team.
    Last edited by munoz1987; 12-30-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

SportsDenver Broncos
    Broncos looking into expanding the role of Gary Kubiak

The Broncos are looking into expanding the role of senior personnel advisor Gary Kubiak, according to an NFL source. The former Broncos coach rejoined the franchise in July, just seven months after he resigned, to help with offensive talent evaluation, at quarterback especially.

General manager John Elway said at the time that the two had been in talks to keep Kubiak with the franchise in some capacity almost immediately after he stepped down. Joining the personnel department allowed Kubiak to stay involved in the game without dealing with the daily rigors of coaching.

Should his role change, as expected, Kubiak is likely to take on more responsibility in the front office and possibly even be involved in some capacity in helping the coaching staff.

“Football guys can’t stay away from football. My dad was the same way, so I knew Gary,” Elway said in July. “It was a matter of time before we were going to get him back working. I think the six months that he took off were good for him and now we’ll get him back in the fold.”

Almost exactly a year ago Kubiak informed Elway of his decision to step down from coaching after two seasons on the job in Denver. In his short time at the helm, he guided the Broncos to their third Super Bowl victory and recorded a 24-11 record.

Overall, Kubiak has spent 23 seasons with the Broncos, including nine as a backup quarterback, 11 as offensive coordinator, two as coach and, most recently, as senior personnel advisor. Rarely, if ever, has a former player climbed the ranks on the sideline and later joined the executive office of a single team. He and Elway have been a part of all three of the franchise’s Super Bowl titles.

After Sunday’s game against the Chiefs, the Broncos are expected to begin to retool the team, from the top down. Kubiak and Elway, along with director of player personnel Matt Russell, have already begun the process of evaluating the roster as they attended the Cotton Bowl on Friday to see potential quarterback prospect Sam Darnold. Elway and Russell earlier watched Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen in the Idaho Potato Bowl and will later see Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield at the Senior Bowl. But the more imminent decisions will have to be made about the coaching staff, and whether to retain head coach Vance Joseph and his assistants after a losing season and the Broncos’ second playoff-less campaign.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/3...xpanding-role/

We definitely need some major changes

I liked Kubiak not just because of his abilities or Bronco history but what he learned in Balt as well.

Tho I really hope we do not try to mimic what Balt has done with their qb spot since Ozzie took over.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Kubiak will bring a lot more success via the draft than we’ve seen in the recent past. I heard something like 10 pro bowlers drafted by him between 06 to 2013.
    Not bad at all if true.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 12-31-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Kubiak will bring a lot more success via the draft than we’ve seen in the recent past. I heard something like 10 pro bowlers drafted by him between 06 to 2013.
    Not bad at all if true.
    That is a positive sign. But does anyone know the Houston drafting structure? Do we know how involved Kubiak was in finding those guys versus their GM, player personnel, and scouts?

I take any career Elway friend with a grain of salt. I think someone from outside our system who has a history of success could be a more effective hire.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    That is a positive sign. But does anyone know the Houston drafting structure? Do we know how involved Kubiak was in finding those guys versus their GM, player personnel, and scouts?
    We’d have to go back and see who was workin in their scouting department at that time and then examine their track records since. Assuming they’ve been working.

Broncos are very lucky to have these two in the FO.

It is really hard for me to get excited about the front office as long as Matt Russell is a part of it.

How can I have faith in someone that gets so drunk he wrecks into a police car? So Matt Prater, an exceptional kicker, gets a DUI and he gets traded. But a team leader, Matt Russell gets so drunk he wrecks into a police car and he remains a team executive. I just cannot seem to be able to buy into Elway's decision making abilities here and find it a pathetic and gross double standard.

So as much as I want to get excited about Kubiak, to me there is a deeper suspicion about Elway's intentions because as long as Russell is a part of things it looks to be more 'old boys club' than what is best for the team. Maybe there is, maybe not, but there is no denying there is a stink to it.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Whether you want to give it to him or not, credit goes to Elway for recognizing a problem area and taking steps to solve or improve it, first by rehiring Kubes as a Senior Personnel Advisor last summer, and now by getting him involved even more. Good job, John.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Whether you want to give it to him or not, credit goes to Elway for recognizing a problem area and taking steps to solve or improve it, first by rehiring Kubes as a Senior Personnel Advisor and now by getting him involved more.
    He might improve it with Kubes but he failed to recognize the problem, Matt Russell. Hopefully Kubes learned a few things from Ozzie Newsome while at Baltimore. Hey Matt, it’s hard to evaluate personnel while under the influence. Unfortunately, VJ was your scapegoat.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's our head coach again

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    It is really hard for me to get excited about the front office as long as Matt Russell is a part of it.

How can I have faith in someone that gets so drunk he wrecks into a police car? So Matt Prater, an exceptional kicker, gets a DUI and he gets traded. But a team leader, Matt Russell gets so drunk he wrecks into a police car and he remains a team executive. I just cannot seem to be able to buy into Elway's decision making abilities here and find it a pathetic and gross double standard.

So as much as I want to get excited about Kubiak, to me there is a deeper suspicion about Elway's intentions because as long as Russell is a part of things it looks to be more 'old boys club' than what is best for the team. Maybe there is, maybe not, but there is no denying there is a stink to it.
    I agree with this. Russell is the reason Elway hired VJ... anyone who was pushing Van Joseph as a HC obviously has no idea what they are doing. And yes, Russell should have been fired as soon as he had his "incident". VJ never should have been hired because of his off the field stuff... both show questionable character. Elway may lack the ability to judge character.. or at least that is how it seems to me at times.
    My adopted Bronco is Case Keenum

Quote Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's our head coach again
    I wish.....

But thats highly doubtful.

One thing to keep in mind about Kubiak is our offense.

It did not start to struggle all the sudden...it has been a build up over years...one can say the build up of offensive poor play really took a step up under Kubiak. Is he the guy who can fix what our biggest problem is?

Outside of Elway what really good Qb has Kubiak been associated with? Kind of want to predict some answers but will let people speak for themselves.

As a coach I really did like Kubiak's moves and understanding of the players but that is not the role I think he is going to assume as coaching is real tough on the health.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy