• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flosstein
    Ring of Famer
    • Dec 2003

Ryan Clady retires as a Bronco

I though this was very cool! to Clady and thanks for the work he put in on the left side. Though his last 3 seasons were marred by injuries, he was a great player and a great Bronco during his run here. Congrats and I wish him success in his next phase of life.

Former offensive tackle and Broncos first-round draft pick, Ryan Clady, was back where his career started to ensure it would end there, too. 

A familiar face roamed the Broncos’ training facility Saturday afternoon as the team took their final practice of the 2017 season. Former offensive tackle and Broncos first-round draft pick, Ryan Clady, was back where his NFL career started to ensure it would end there, too.

Clady signed a retirement letter to unofficially end his career as a Denver Bronco and was honored by the team during practice. Ahead of Sunday’s game against the Chiefs, Clady will be an honorary captain for the coin toss and the Broncos will later show a video tribute in recognition of his seven seasons with the team.

Clady was drafted in the first round (No. 12) in 2008 and started every game for his first five seasons. Though injuries derailed the latter years of his NFL career, Clady picked up four Pro Bowl nods and three all-pro designations (two on the first team). He finished third in the 2008 rookie of the year voting and was widely viewed as the top offensive tackle in the league for years after.

“He’s just a dominant left tackle,” Broncos linebacker Von Miller said. “I don’t think he gets enough credit. He’s just a dominant tackle in general, left or right. I just remember him locking up some of the best from Demarcus (Ware) when he was with the Cowboys or Dwight Freeney or everybody. I don’t think he got enough credit for that. If he played in the era that we play in now where every single play is on Pro Football Focus and all of this other stuff, he would have more recognition. But he was truly a dominant player. He was very soft-spoken. Usually, when you have guys like that that are so dominant, they let their play speak for them. He was a hell of a leader. I just remember him taking me under his wing since Day One. He is great. I wish he could have finished here with the Broncos, but that’s the nature of the beast. He was an incredible friend and an incredible teammate. It’s a cool honor to have him honored at the game.”

In April 2016, Clady was shipped to the New York Jets and, after another year on injured reserve (rotator cuff), decided to call it a career. Clady announced his retirement from the NFL in August.
    #swapping
  • Hadez
    Football Immortal
    • Nov 2004

Wait I must be dreaming are we celebrating a Shanahan pick? Shanahan was a horrible drafter. Elway and Shanahan have some kind of "beef"

Maybe "reporting" is not all that after all
    What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
    effort x talent = skill
    effort x skill = achievement
    How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• CTM
      Later Skater
      • Jan 2008

Clady was a dominant LT when healthy. If he had stayed healthy throughout his career and played longer I think he would've been in the conversation as one of best all time, in the conversation with Odgen and Munoz.

As it is, stuff happens but he still had a successful NFL career, not an easy thing to do, and I hope he finds success in pursuing whatever comes next for him.

Comment

• Bootleg
        🏈
        • Mar 2008

It's a shame he was derailed by injuries.

ROF worthy?

Comment

• JakeNbake
          Baby Football Mod
          • Jul 2008

Clady was very good while healthy. His rookie season was a fun one to watch.
          sigpic
          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

• EddieMac
            Canuck Mod, eh!
            • Feb 2004

Always liked him... great LT for us., to him.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hadez
              Football Immortal
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Bootleg View Post
              It's a shame he was derailed by injuries.

ROF worthy?
              That is too much. Lot more worthy players put on the Orange and Blue.

Clady was a good Bronco tho
              effort x talent = skill
              How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                All-Time Great
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by CTM View Post
                Clady was a dominant LT when healthy. If he had stayed healthy throughout his career and played longer I think he would've been in the conversation as one of best all time, in the conversation with Odgen and Munoz.

As it is, stuff happens but he still had a successful NFL career, not an easy thing to do, and I hope he finds success in pursuing whatever comes next for him.

Not even close. Clady's best year was his rookie season and he wasn't even the best in the league while he played let alone best ever..
                sigpic

Comment

• Rastic
                  Modulated
                  • Oct 2013

Poor Clady. Had to go out with his name on this year's roster.

He was a stud in his prime and sorely missed.

Comment

• Hadez
                    Football Immortal
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    Not even close. Clady's best year was his rookie season and he wasn't even the best in the league while he played let alone best ever..
                    He was 2nd team All Pro just like Joe Thomas. Like I said earlier other players wore Orange and Blue who deserve to be RoFers more but also do not take away from how good he was.

If McDipstick does not come in and wreck everything that was built on offense before he got here who knows where Clady's career would have went. Clady was an ideal zone blocker and coaching moves had him trying to do things outside his skill sets after his rookie year.

IMO McDipstick should have traded Clady if he was half as smart as he thought he was.
                    effort x talent = skill

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                      All-Time Great
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                      He was 2nd team All Pro just like Joe Thomas. Like I said earlier other players wore Orange and Blue who deserve to be RoFers more but also do not take away from how good he was.

If McDipstick does not come in and wreck everything that was built on offense before he got here who knows where Clady's career would have went. Clady was an ideal zone blocker and coaching moves had him trying to do things outside his skill sets after his rookie year.

IMO McDipstick should have traded Clady if he was half as smart as he thought he was.
                      Even if everything you say is true....still no way Clady would be considered one of the best of all time. That's quite a reach don't you think?
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X