Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

I have completely gone off drafting Barkley at 5

I had him in my shortlist but when you look into it is it really worth drafting a RB at #5 ? Yes he is good but RB's just don't take you to the next level and good backs can be found all throughout the draft.

Fournette is doing well but struggled in the wildcards, Gurley is very good but did he make much difference to the Rams on Saturday ? Not really. The Saints have run the ball well but when it came to crunch time they needed Bree's and that D...... especially Lattimore.... to come up big.

To pass on a QB, Fitzpatrick, or Nelson who would massively upgrade our OL to draft a RB would be a big mistake imo. A good RB will help but he won't take you to the next level, even Zeke couldn't get Dallas to the playoffs. You need a good QB, a top D, or at least be really tough in the trenches to go deep in the playoffs.

Fitz, smith or nelson i think would have a bigger impact gor our team and situation
    Glen Haven Fire

Personally I think Barkley could be a 2k back and I still wouldnít take him at 5th overall. Maybe he is lucky and has a long career like LT or maybe he goes more of the chris Johnson route and just fades off quickly. Itís so unpredictable with running backs they tend to just have big years and fall off all the time. Not only that but the bust rate is just as high for running backs than it is any other posistion and considering how frequently you find them later in the draft it just makes it not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I had him in my shortlist but when you look into it is it really worth drafting a RB at #5 ? Yes he is good but RB's just don't take you to the next level and good backs can be found all throughout the draft.

Fournette is doing well but struggled in the wildcards, Gurley is very good but did he make much difference to the Rams on Saturday ? Not really. The Saints have run the ball well but when it came to crunch time they needed Bree's and that D...... especially Lattimore.... to come up big.

To pass on a QB, Fitzpatrick, or Nelson who would massively upgrade our OL to draft a RB would be a big mistake imo. A good RB will help but he won't take you to the next level, even Zeke couldn't get Dallas to the playoffs. You need a good QB, a top D, or at least be really tough in the trenches to go deep in the playoffs.

I agree that you can get good talent in later rounds but there is absolutely a huge difference in talent in those guys vs the likes of Zeke, Gurley, Fournette......

Those RBs that are elite lead their respective teams to where they are right now. Rams wouldn't have been where they were without Gurley. One could argue that if Zeke hadn't been suspended they would of won 1 or 2 more games and made it to the playoffs. The Jaguars without Fournette wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Falcons schemed to shut Gurley down, Panthers schemed to shut down Saints running game. Just because those RBs didn't have much success doesn't mean that they aren't still the teams MVP. Would the Broncos have won back to back if Davis wasn't there?? I get that Davis wasn't a high pick but when there is no brainer talent like Zeke or this year in Barkley these guys are game changing like Davis, like Bell, like Gurley. I don't think they will even have a chance at Saquon because the Colts are going to take him but if for some stupid reason they don't, I for one would welcome that pick with open arms and i'm sure whoever the starting QB is would too.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I agree that you can get good talent in later rounds but there is absolutely a huge difference in talent in those guys vs the likes of Zeke, Gurley, Fournette......

Those RBs that are elite lead their respective teams to where they are right now. Rams wouldn't have been where they were without Gurley. One could argue that if Zeke hadn't been suspended they would of won 1 or 2 more games and made it to the playoffs. The Jaguars without Fournette wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Falcons schemed to shut Gurley down, Panthers schemed to shut down Saints running game. Just because those RBs didn't have much success doesn't mean that they aren't still the teams MVP. Would the Broncos have won back to back if Davis wasn't there?? I get that Davis wasn't a high pick but when there is no brainer talent like Zeke or this year in Barkley these guys are game changing like Davis, like Bell, like Gurley. I don't think they will even have a chance at Saquon because the Colts are going to take him but if for some stupid reason they don't, I for one would welcome that pick with open arms and i'm sure whoever the starting QB is would too.
    RB is the position you take at #5 when you have very few other holes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post

Fournette is good but the Jags win because of that elite D.

When was the last time a team got to a SB because of a RB ? You need either a top QB or an elite D.

I would be tempted to play it safe and grab Nelson who looks an elite prospect and massively upgrades the OL, or Fitzpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    RB is the position you take at #5 when you have very few other holes to fill.
    I get it but the Colts have a bunch of holes too and they are widely considered the front runners to take him. Why would they consider taking RB at 3 when they also have needs on O-line? They have a ton of needs on defense and desperately need a guy like Fitzpatrick but they still want Barkley because he is going to make Luck's job easier and make that offense dangerously good. That same philosophy is the thinking if Cousins is brought in.

Fournette is good but the Jags win because of that elite D.

When was the last time a team got to a SB because of a RB ? You need either a top QB or an elite D.

I would be tempted to play it safe and grab Nelson who looks an elite prospect and massively upgrades the OL, or Fitzpatrick.
    The jags won because of defense and because they run the ball. If they didn't have a run game and they had to rely on Blake Bortles they would be a sub .500 team, without a doubt. I'm not going to bang the Barkley drum and say he is all and be all of all the prospects either though. I know Denver needs a QB and line help and DB if Talib is gone. I'm just a big fan of his and I have zero doubt he would be an instant pro bowler

Barkley will go #1 overall to Cleveland, calling it now

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    Barkley will go #1 overall to Cleveland, calling it now
    That wouldn't surprise me, it being Cleveland.

They pick 1 and 4 and it should be an absolute slam dunk round 1 for them. Pick the best QB they like at 1..... we all know a franchise QB is massively important and they have their pick of 3/4 really good prospects.

At 4 take Fitzpatrick and get an elite S prospect.

I remember 2 years ago when they considered taking Wentz and traded down for some nothing players, that sort of thinking is why Cleveland are always terrible. If they take a RB at 1 and see Rosen and Darnold go at 2/3 (a team trading with Indy) and once again miss out on a top QB prospect then they deserve every year of awfulness they get

A RB won't take a team to the next level??? But a freaking OG will????? Please....of the teams you name they will not be in the play offs without them no matter how good a def is you still need to score....Gurley had over 100yds like 11 carries...and should be the MVP of the league.....But a OG a OG is worth a 4th pick...just like Cooper and womack...we're "can't miss" prospects....give me a break.

Hard to guess what happens in free agency and how we evaluate prospects during pre-draft process.... do we like Baker Mayfield or one of the top OTs (Brown, Williams, McGlinch)....

But, itís fairly obvious the top 6 prospects are:

Rosen
    Barkley
    Darnold
    Fitz
    Chubb
    Nelson

Iím cool passing on the runner bc I like our current 3 and feel this is a deep RB class, so a quality guy can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

To me, itís QB, OL or a Chubb or Fitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    A RB won't take a team to the next level??? But a freaking OG will????? Please....of the teams you name they will not be in the play offs without them no matter how good a def is you still need to score....Gurley had over 100yds like 11 carries...and should be the MVP of the league.....But a OG a OG is worth a 4th pick...just like Cooper and womack...we're "can't miss" prospects....give me a break.
    This is still a team sport too though. Those stud RB's wouldn't be 2000 all purpose yard RB's if they didn't have complimentary players around them.....and....in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    There is no guarantees whoever you pick but some players are clearly slite 'prospects' who have a high chance at being great, just like when we took Von Miller at 2.

I think RB's help but I don't think they take a team to the next level. The best 2 backs this year were Gurley and Hunt. This weekend Gurley struggled and Goff couldn't move the ball....... if Goff plays better then they probably win because a QB playing at a high level is needed in the playoffs regardless of who your back is. The Rams hit their ceiling and were dumped at home.

Rushing champion Hunt came up against a good D Saturday, but he was never going to decide who won that game. KC were rolling because Smith had a good first half as they went up by 18 but when Kelce went down Smith struggled and they lost the game.

My point being is that having a top RB is 'nice' but won't make you a SB contender.

A top QB will, or a top D like Denver and Seattle had when they won. Obviously the D wasn't just about 1 player but Denver were massively impacted by Miller and Seattle with Earl Thomas who took their D's to another level.

Miller and Thomas, or a top QB are worth a top 5 pick....... a RB isn't.

I know you will say what about Nelson but if we deem no QB worth taking at 5 then at least Nelson slots in as a 10+ year starter at LG and instantly upgrades our OL. Rodgers and Wilson had problems with their OL's this year so they are massively important and if we had a nucleus of -

Bolles, Nelson, and Paradis then it would be a huge step in the right direction. 3 young talents.