Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If DT cut before March 4th....

According to Troy Renk on 104.3 today.... Denver can decline picking up DT 4-mil option (a decision that must be made by last day of this league year) thus making him a free agent. Would only be. 3.1 mil dead cap hit and would void the final 2 years of his contract.

Knowing this, does anyone see at least a cut and a new lower contract offer?

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Knowing this, does anyone see at least a cut and a new lower contract offer?
    I don't think they'd cut him first, because then they'd pay the $3 million cap penalty, but I do think Elway will try and get him to take a lower contract and cut him if he says no.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I don't think they'd cut him first, because then they'd pay the $3 million cap penalty, but I do think Elway will try and get him to take a lower contract and cut him if he says no.
    Agreed and DT should take a paycut because he has not been worth the contract he got. My problem with cutting him is the impact it may have with us landing in Denver. Thatís one less big target he gets to throw to.he would have just Sanders, a shaky oline, no TE yet , and an okay running game. Doesnít really scream Come to Denver!

Despite the cap hit being 12 his yearly cash is only 8.5 this year. If we cut him I guarantee he gets 10mill per year elsewhere. They can re work his deal give him more years but he isnít taking a cut in pay. We cut him and we lose 1 of the only 2 legitimate receiving options we have and weaken our posistion in getting cousins and we also are not doing any rookie QB we bring in here any favors.

Yeah, players may restructure but when you flat out decline options... the players always feel slighted and flee. They rarely re-up.... heck, some even take less to go elsewhere just bc....

I think Elway will weigh cap hit next year and year after, bc that would be impetus to get rid of him now. So, if we pick up option then what is cap hit if we release him next year?

Elway may just prefer to have CL replace DT....

I think John Lynch would like to have D. Thomas. The 49ers don't have a #1 WR and Lynch might see Thomas as a productive receiver with a QB like Jimmy Garoppolo. Maybe Thomas could serve as a poor man's Julio Jones for Kyle Shanahan.

However, I don't know if the current salary would make John Lynch interested in a trade. Imagine Eric Decker and D. Thomas reuniting in San Francisco. They worked with Peyton Manning, running all those detailed routes, so they would be a good fit for Kyle Shanahan's detailed offense.

I'm okay with accepting the rebuilding stage and letting players like Thomas, Sanders, Talib and CJ Anderson go play elsewhere.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Yeah, players may restructure but when you flat out decline options... the players always feel slighted and flee. They rarely re-up.... heck, some even take less to go elsewhere just bc....

I think Elway will weigh cap hit next year and year after, bc that would be impetus to get rid of him now. So, if we pick up option then what is cap hit if we release him next year?

Elway may just prefer to have CL replace DT....
    I don't think it'll be a flat out decline of the option, initially. I think Elway will just say to him, we want you here, but at a lower number. Might be that they guarantee more in order to get him to agree to less. If he flat out declines then they'll pass on the option.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

5-11 not good enough? You want a 2-14 team? Cut DT and Talib.

The team has far too many problems than to part with DT. Sanders is a much easier cut. Without DT, there is no threat. He has the dropsies no doubt and never gives more than 70%, but he commands the best corner with safety help. No one else on the Broncos does that. Cut him and there will be no one open.

It is easier to replace a #2 Receiver than a #1 Receiver, but right now after DT, there is only #3 and below.

Deal DT out of town next year-- Miami comes to mind as a good spot back with Gase.

Adopted Mod: Best Mod Ever: EddieMac
    Adopted New Person: Peapod
    Adopted Video: WatercoolerJam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozu5KdXhL0

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    5-11 not good enough? You want a 2-14 team? Cut DT and Talib.

The team has far too many problems than to part with DT. Sanders is a much easier cut. Without DT, there is no threat. He has the dropsies no doubt and never gives more than 70%, but he commands the best corner with safety help. No one else on the Broncos does that. Cut him and there will be no one open.

It is easier to replace a #2 Receiver than a #1 Receiver, but right now after DT, there is only #3 and below.

Deal DT out of town next year-- Miami comes to mind as a good spot back with Gase.
    Wouldn't it be cool if we could swap DT for Landry and pay Landry less? Won't happen, though. Jarvis is going to get paid, and it won't be the Broncos doing it. If we don't have to move on from DT to make room, I say don't move on at all. Although, if he restructured, that'd be fantastic.

DT will restructure before being cut, same with Talib IMO. As far as effort with DT goes, its impossible to say for sure but I do think he gives all he has until he feels pain during a play and then he eases up a bit but I think every player does that to some extent. I just think DT feels a lot more pain than the public realizes. A lot of that is on him though for not taking the time off to get properly treated even in the offseason. He needs surgery on his hip IMO, heís played through it the past few seasons but it hasnít gotten significantly better and itíll only get worse as he gets older; corrective surgery would be the most beneficial option for him and he needs it ASAP. Iíve seen him pull up too often to think otherwise.

Landon Collins INT against us is the prime example for this season. He ran a post route against cover 2, he was open and Siemian threw it on time but he pulled up out of his break after he planted on that leg with the bad hip which led to the easy INT. There are numerous example throughout this season and every season since he initially injured it.

The Broncos are NOT cutting/trading DT in 2018, it very well may happen in 2019 but there is 0 incentive and thus 0 chance to do it now as the money just doesn't work even if done by the date stated in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by crp24lbc View Post
    The Broncos are NOT cutting/trading DT in 2018, it very well may happen in 2019 but there is 0 incentive and thus 0 chance to do it now as the money just doesn't work even if done by the date stated in this post.
    There's only 3.4 mil in dead money if they cut him, 9 or so mil in savings with the option thing.

But if you decline the option, you'll have to go into free agency looking for another receiver. Especially since no one on the current roster is capable of replacing him, if we had a replacement on the cheap i could get it but we dont. And it will cost just as much to find one with the money they command.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    There's only 3.4 mil in dead money if they cut him, 9 or so mil in savings with the option thing.

But if you decline the option, you'll have to go into free agency looking for another receiver. Especially since no one on the current roster is capable of replacing him, if we had a replacement on the cheap i could get it but we dont. And it will cost just as much to find one with the money they command.
    Yes this is one of the reasons releasing DT is not an option. I fully expect the Broncos and DT to agree to a restructured contract and for him to be a big part of the Kirk Cousins sales pitch.

Cutting DT would be idiotic. Bottom 3 QB play and he had 950 yards. Safe to assume if our offense improved overall he should be above 1,100 yards easily.