Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: John DeFillipo

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,720

    John DeFillipo

    Iím telling you we made a mistake not showing Joseph the door and hiring this guy. He is an absolute miracle worker and would work wonders with a young QB if we add one, or put Cousins over the top.
    Now he will get an OC job this year and be the most sought after candidate for HC next year. He is the next Sean McVay, we are missing out because we are sticking with deadbeat Vance Joseph.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    8,598
    I mean, we could still get him next year.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,720
    I really hope we go after this guy, he will be on everyoneís radar next year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,412
    Say Denver does have a bounce back year and they go 9-7 or 8-8? Does VJ get the ax? I don't think he does. I think it is going to have to be a losing record for Elway to make the move. Winning cures all wounds when it comes to previous years and what coulda woulda shoulda happened. If they do have success and win, i'll be just fine with our coaching staff.


    Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,937
    You can't go firing coaches after just one season, VJ was overwhelmed last season, and it should have been expected as he was just a rookie. Any time you hire a rookie HC, you have to give him time to learn the job. I would rather reevaluate the position after this next season, than to just give up so soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    1,475
    The headlines are saying that the Cards will be gunning for him hard this off-season. I doubt he'll be on the market by next year. Even if he is... Denver is developing a reputation as a coaching carousel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,307
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolassiter View Post
    You can't go firing coaches after just one season, VJ was overwhelmed last season, and it should have been expected as he was just a rookie.
    Then Elway hired the wrong coach. I've seen plenty of first-year head coaches with losing records. However, when they look overwhelmed, it's no good. Vance Joseph was a lousy coordinator for 1 season and then got our top coaching job somehow. Even the 30-year old Sean McVay had more experience as a coordinator than Joseph, serving as the Redskins coordinator for 3 seasons.

    Usually, you should look at someone who's done a good job coodinating an offense, defense or special teams and then you increase his responsibilities to coordinate the entire team and coach the coaches. Joseph, who probably should still be serving as a DBs coach somewhere, is the head coach of the Denver Broncos, trying to devise plans against the best coaches in the NFL.

    I am against firing coaches after one season, but not when you should be able to see you made a mistake and hired the wrong coach. Joseph was not qualified to take the job and now the Denver Broncos have become a crash-course coaching clinic for an inept head coach.

    I am stunned that a top coach like David Shaw is still coaching in college while Vance Joseph is a head coach in the NFL.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,937
    I am not saying that VJ is even qualified to be a HC. Just saying that you can't fire after only one season. First you get the job, then you learn how to do it. That has worked for every President since George Washington. Now if after next season, the team still looks like it did last season, then I would say move on.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,476
    I agree with you op.

    Just wait until the brass fans on getting a vet qb. Vance is no better then a stick in the mud on the side line. Things don't get fixed permanently until Vance take the fall.

    How can you possibly fix clueless in the off season.......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Then Elway hired the wrong coach. I've seen plenty of first-year head coaches with losing records. However, when they look overwhelmed, it's no good. Vance Joseph was a lousy coordinator for 1 season and then got our top coaching job somehow. Even the 30-year old Sean McVay had more experience as a coordinator than Joseph, serving as the Redskins coordinator for 3 seasons.

    Usually, you should look at someone who's done a good job coodinating an offense, defense or special teams and then you increase his responsibilities to coordinate the entire team and coach the coaches. Joseph, who probably should still be serving as a DBs coach somewhere, is the head coach of the Denver Broncos, trying to devise plans against the best coaches in the NFL.

    I am against firing coaches after one season, but not when you should be able to see you made a mistake and hired the wrong coach. Joseph was not qualified to take the job and now the Denver Broncos have become a crash-course coaching clinic for an inept head coach.

    I am stunned that a top coach like David Shaw is still coaching in college while Vance Joseph is a head coach in the NFL.
    I must agree. V J is a Yes man for Elway, hope this is not the reason he was given another chance. Just maybe Elway and Kubiak can run the team and V J can be a honorary Cheer leader ( That is if we can get him excited).

    We should all watch Free agency to see if a QB can be signed, Then we Draft Nelson from Notre Dame. Going in the right direction maybe ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    653
    Maybe VJ is overwhelmed and a yes man. Thing is our QB play, line play, play calling was so spotty, what do you do?

    Is VJ a rile them up take charge guy, it doesn't seem so. We had some guys make some really stupid on field decisions this year. Joseph needs to improve on field discipline and focus.. Sill I don't think Sean McVay gets us to the playoffs this year, or any other first year coach.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,046
    He's not going to be an HC this year. So Denver could still hire him next year, if they're searching for an HC. I'm curious if he's actually that good of a coach or if he looks better because of Doug Pederson and Frank Reich? His previous stops as a QB coach were unremarkable and his 1 year as an OC they were 25th in total yards and 30th in points. Now I do note that was with a bad Cleveland team.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    297
    So help me out here. Does the head coach really coach or just oversee his coordinators and coaches.
    I thought the best HC's allow their coordinators to do their thing. (Provided the HC got to pick his guys) Good ones don't micro manage if a coach needs to be tuned up, yes call him to the office and set things straight.
    The head guy makes decisions on game day, but he has his head gear on and is getting advice from above.
    Really help me understand what makes a good HC?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    So help me out here. Does the head coach really coach or just oversee his coordinators and coaches.
    I thought the best HC's allow their coordinators to do their thing. (Provided the HC got to pick his guys) Good ones don't micro manage if a coach needs to be tuned up, yes call him to the office and set things straight.
    The head guy makes decisions on game day, but he has his head gear on and is getting advice from above.
    Really help me understand what makes a good HC?
    HC is the CEO, coordinators are the managers, coaches are the department heads. Coordinators will put together game plans, with help from their coaches (some more than others), they will then tell the HC what they intend to do, and the HC will ask questions and ultimately give the thumbs up or thumbs down to it. Generally if the coordinators have good answers for why they want to do things the HC will be onboard.

    On game days the HC has a headset that allows him to flip between both coordinators, he may or may not be listening to the play calls, but he'd be able to talk with the coordinator and their top coach in the booth. The HC would give feedback as needed, and will tell coordinators things like whether they can call a play on third down knowing they'll go for it on fourth down. As well as using time outs etc.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,115
    We can't get the coach you want so does it matter?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •