Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John DeFillipo

An NFL team does not have time to teach a HC how to coach. VJ is not a caliber NFL coach....

Unfortunately, for the Broncos, it will take another losing season to prove it and walk him through the door.

In the mean time, another wasted year for our Bronco defense.

I am hoping that I am absolutely wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He's not going to be an HC this year. So Denver could still hire him next year, if they're searching for an HC. I'm curious if he's actually that good of a coach or if he looks better because of Doug Pederson and Frank Reich? His previous stops as a QB coach were unremarkable and his 1 year as an OC they were 25th in total yards and 30th in points. Now I do note that was with a bad Cleveland team.
    He is said by some people to be the guy who developed Derek Carr and also helped Josh McCown have a career year in Cleveland. Plus, he took Wentz under his wing this year and helped make him elite. Watch some videos of the guy doing Xs and Os and youíll see why I love him so much.

Sounds like he will be an OC somewhere this year. When, not if, but when we fire VJ next year he should be our top target, especially if we have a young QB to groom.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    He is said by some people to be the guy who developed Derek Carr and also helped Josh McCown have a career year in Cleveland. Plus, he took Wentz under his wing this year and helped make him elite. Watch some videos of the guy doing Xs and Os and you’ll see why I love him so much.

Sounds like he will be an OC somewhere this year. When, not if, but when we fire VJ next year he should be our top target, especially if we have a young QB to groom.
    McCown didn't have a career year in Cleveland, he was okay, but 2 years before that he was better in Chicago. Even this year with the Jets he was better than in Cleveland, he seems to excel in poor situations.

As for Derek Carr, much like in Philadelphia, the OC was a QB coach, so it's hard to know who developed him.

People complained that Joseph was a bad choice for HC because he had 1 year running a below average defense, but here we are talking about a guy with 1 year as an OC running a below average offense as a great candidate for HC.

I question why he hasn't been able to stick anywhere for more any real length of time? If he's so brilliant why only the 1 chance to be an OC? Although he could get another opportunity in 2018. And ultimately what qualifies him as a great HC candidate? Almost every NFL coach is going to be brilliant with X's and O's, that's what they do for a living, so they absolutely need to be. But can he communicate with an entire roster? Can he lead a group of players and turn them into a fantastic team that will do anything for him?

Quote Originally Posted by broncolassiter View Post
    You can't go firing coaches after just one season, VJ was overwhelmed last season, and it should have been expected as he was just a rookie. Any time you hire a rookie HC, you have to give him time to learn the job. I would rather reevaluate the position after this next season, than to just give up so soon.
    As much as I wanted Joseph gone... specifically because on some game he had no idea about a major penalty such as delay of game on critical play. I have come sounds to this sentiment

Quote Originally Posted by broncolassiter View Post
    You can't go firing coaches after just one season, VJ was overwhelmed last season, and it should have been expected as he was just a rookie. Any time you hire a rookie HC, you have to give him time to learn the job. I would rather reevaluate the position after this next season, than to just give up so soon.
    I don't disagree with the "fire the HC" every losing season but our team is a championship calibre team and we put it in the hands of a rookie HC you said was "expected" to be overwhelmed. So maybe we don't blame VJ but Elway instead??? All I know is the players we have now - at least the star ones - are in their final seasons. In 3 years this team will look much different. Hopefully we'll be better, but, I'm not betting on it.

Why don't we start a thread for every player coming out for the draft and spam the boards?
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Then Elway hired the wrong coach. I've seen plenty of first-year head coaches with losing records. However, when they look overwhelmed, it's no good. Vance Joseph was a lousy coordinator for 1 season and then got our top coaching job somehow. Even the 30-year old Sean McVay had more experience as a coordinator than Joseph, serving as the Redskins coordinator for 3 seasons.

Usually, you should look at someone who's done a good job coodinating an offense, defense or special teams and then you increase his responsibilities to coordinate the entire team and coach the coaches. Joseph, who probably should still be serving as a DBs coach somewhere, is the head coach of the Denver Broncos, trying to devise plans against the best coaches in the NFL.

I am against firing coaches after one season, but not when you should be able to see you made a mistake and hired the wrong coach. Joseph was not qualified to take the job and now the Denver Broncos have become a crash-course coaching clinic for an inept head coach.

I am stunned that a top coach like David Shaw is still coaching in college while Vance Joseph is a head coach in the NFL.
    A lot of coaches have a tough first year. Add into the mix that they had now quarterbacks and it's a recipe for disaster. Give him a better roster and see how he does next year. The worst thing that can happen is that we have a better roster that could potentially help attract a more experienced coach.

You can not make a HC tie his career to a rookie he did not choose or a 7th rounder. It would only be right to let Vance have some say on the QB he ties his career to. Now if we Grab Cousins ( VJ's approval) and he has another season like last, then we reevaluate the coaching staff. I just don't want to jump to any kind of conclusions about VJ after only one season. A lot of people are overwhelmed when they first start a high profile job. He only had one year as a DC then jump to HC (because Elway wanted to grab VJ before any one else could and he was available. Now he has to have the time to grow into the job. I understand that it don't work with a "Win Now Approach" but neither does hiring a raw rookie to be the HC. Since he was hired, it is only fair to give him time to mature into the job. .

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Then Elway hired the wrong coach. I've seen plenty of first-year head coaches with losing records. However, when they look overwhelmed, it's no good. Vance Joseph was a lousy coordinator for 1 season and then got our top coaching job somehow. Even the 30-year old Sean McVay had more experience as a coordinator than Joseph, serving as the Redskins coordinator for 3 seasons.

Usually, you should look at someone who's done a good job coodinating an offense, defense or special teams and then you increase his responsibilities to coordinate the entire team and coach the coaches. Joseph, who probably should still be serving as a DBs coach somewhere, is the head coach of the Denver Broncos, trying to devise plans against the best coaches in the NFL.

I am against firing coaches after one season, but not when you should be able to see you made a mistake and hired the wrong coach. Joseph was not qualified to take the job and now the Denver Broncos have become a crash-course coaching clinic for an inept head coach.

I am stunned that a top coach like David Shaw is still coaching in college while Vance Joseph is a head coach in the NFL.
    This concept that Joseph was a bad hire has been beaten down enough on other threads. I agree he was. However, I think other HC candidates would be looking at Elway & thinking this is not an org that has its act together. Probably result is some tough contractual terms & guarantees that would not benefit the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruke View Post
    This concept that Joseph was a bad hire has been beaten down enough on other threads. I agree he was. However, I think other HC candidates would be looking at Elway & thinking this is not an org that has its act together. Probably result is some tough contractual terms & guarantees that would not benefit the team.
    Doubtful, this team is 2 years removed from a run that saw 2 Super bowl appearances in 3 years and a title. If anything, a prospective HC would know Elway will do anything to win and isnít afraid to spend money.