Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bronx - My 2018 Full Round One Mock Draft

I know things will change after FA but this is just for fun, the only FA I have taken into account is Cousins as I think Denver will sign him. I have put Philly at 32 as I'm rooting for them Sunday.

1 - Cleveland Browns ........................ Sam Darnold, QB - USC

The best QB prospect in the draft, Cleveland missed out on Wentz 2 years ago and cannot afford to make the same mistake. This should be a slam dunk pick.

2 - New York Giants ........................ Josh Rosen, QB - UCLA

Numerous scouting reports say that Rosen has huge talent but needs time to learn on the bench before being thrown in. I would keep Eli for 2 years while grooming the future.

It was tempting to take Barkley here but good backs can be found later in the draft and it is so hard to get a franchise QB that NY cannot turn down this opportunity, they might not be drafting this high again for a long time.

3 - Indianapolis Colts ........................ Saquon Barkley, RB - Penn State

The D needs work and Chubb or Fitz would be great selections. I just cannot pass on the opportunity to pair Luck and Barkley together with McDaniels pulling the strings, it could be a scary combination. The Colts have the cap to hit FA hard to repair the D.

4 - Cleveland Browns (via Houston) ........................ Bradley Chubb, DE - North Carolina State

The have their franchise QB, now they get the pass rusher. The Browns address probably the 2 most important positions in football. It is hard not to like Chubb, not only has he racked up 20.5 sacks, 47 tfl's, 6 ff's and 131 tackles in the past 2 seasons but he has a terrific motor and slots in perfectly as a 4-3 DE.

5 - Denver Broncos ........................ Quenton Nelson, OG - Notre Dame

After picking up Cousins the Broncos turn their attention to the OL. With 2 young talents in Bolles and Nelson along with Paradis and Leary who are under 30 we finally have the talent to turn a weakness into a strength.

Nelson is an elite prospect and I don't consider #5 too high for someone who will give Cousins time to throw. Nelson and Bolles play with aggression and nastiness and just imagine replacing Garcia with Nelson....... that makes me smile

6 - New York Jets ........................ Baker Mayfield, QB - Oklahoma

The Jets are one of those teams who don't have a bad roster but need a franchise QB to move forward with, Mayfield is a little inconsistent and is a gamble but one they need to take. Mayfield has been praised for his leadership and Rivers-like on field fire and will give Jet fans hope moving forward

7 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers ........................ Minkah Fitzpatrick, S - Alabama

Tremendous value at 7, arguably the best defensive player in the draft. Fitzpatrick has the speed to cover receivers down the field, the size to match up with TE's and has played some slot corner as well. The Bucs would like to upgrade the OL but the value just isn't there and they need help in the defensive backfield

8 - Chicago Bears ........................ Roquan Smith, LB - Georgia

There is a case for taking a receiver and giving Trubisky another weapon but Smith is a much better talent then any wideout in this draft imo.

They have a thin and ageing LB corps and Smith will give the Bears their next star LB for many years. He really enhanced his reputation by starring in the rose bowl, earning defensive player of the game honours and not only plays the run well but is good in pass coverage

9 - San Francisco 49ers ........................ Courtland Sutton, WR - SMU

JG looks like a star they can build their franchise around but they have the worst set of receivers in the league. Their top 3 receivers are Garcon (who is coming off neck problems and will be 32 when the season begins), Goodwin, and Murphy.

There is no star WR in this draft but Sutton has the potential to be a good #1, with good size and quickness. He racked up 144 catches, 2331 yards and 22 td's the past 2 seasons on a team that was often over-matched.

10 - Oakland Raiders ........................ Denzel Ward, CB - Ohio State

Oakland have had a terrible backfield for the last few seasons and really need corner help. Ward is a little under-sized at 5-10, 191 pounds but plays bigger then his size and shows toughness, aggression and an ability to play the ball. He will instantly upgrade the Oakland backfield.

11 - Miami Dolphins ........................ Mike McGlinchey, OT - Notre Dame

Ja'Wuan James in an expensive and under-performing OT who needs cutting, McGlinchey will form an excellent pair of young bookends with Laremy Tunsil. McGlinchey is my top OT in this draft purely because he is the safe pick imo. Connor Williams is coming off some bad injuries and Orlando Brown is purely a bull dozing RT.

McGlinchey has experience at LT and RT and has great football smarts according to scouting reports.

12 - Cincinnati Bengals ........................ Will Hernandez, OG - UTEP

I think Hernandez will fly up the draft boards. He has the size, strength and aggression teams love on the interior and was excellent all week at the senior bowl. The Bengals offense was one of the worst in the league and the OL was terrible all season

13 - Washington Redskins ........................ Derwin James, S - Florida State

The Redskins have holes all over their roster and could go in a number of directions but the pass D was arguably the biggest problem getting hit for numerous big plays. Norman and Breeland are a good 1-2 set of corners on the outside but Swearinger is purely a SS who struggles in coverage and Deangelo Hall is on the backend of his career.

Derwin James has good size at 6-3, 211 and speed. His range is exceptional and he has the quickness to recover, Washington can move him around as he excels in the box against the run and in coverage.

14 - Green Bay Packers ........................ Tremaine Edmunds, OLB - Virginia Tech

The Rodgers led offense continues to play at a high level but the D needs upgrades and in particular GB need to get more pressure on the QB.

Edmunds is a boom or bust prospect who can get caught up in blocks and sometimes struggles against the run but his ceiling is high and no one in the draft is quicker off the edge then Edmunds who notched up 14 tfl's, 5.5 sacks and 3 fumbles this season. There are not many players in this league with his size, arm length and quickness and a LB coach will love working with a player of his talents

15 - Arizona Cardinals ........................ Josh Allen, QB - Wyoming

Another boom or bust prospect who could go higher then this given the importance of the position. Allen is 6-5, 240 pounds with a big arm and is an athlete..... whats not to love ? Well, his accuracy. He only hit 56% of his passes over the past 2 seasons and didn't shine against the better teams.

One of the QB needy teams will gamble on Josh Allen around this spot, I think it will be Arizona.

16 - Baltimore Ravens ........................ Vita Vea, DT - Washington

No player in the draft fits a franchise better then Vea fits Baltimore. Ozzie Newsome waits for the talent to fall to him, as Vea has, and they love their physical big bodied players along the DL. Vea will draw comparisons to previous draft pick Ngata.

A 6-5, 340 pound defender who can slam the door on a running game and is a good athlete should not be available at this point in the draft.

17 - Los Angeles Chargers ........................ Connor Williams, OT - Texas

Good QB ? Check, Good RB ? Check. Decent pass catchers...... yep. Starting LT........ Russell Okung. The Chargers need to improve their OL and find a quality LT.

Although Williams has had some bad injuries and only played a few games last year his potential in undeniable. He could easily fall out of the first round but is a good athlete with great footwork who has a high ceiling and the potential to be a starting LT in this league

18 - Seattle Seahawks ........................ Isaiah Wynn, OG - Georgia

Wynn played as an OT in college but projects as a OG in the nfl. Some will feel this is a little high for him but I think he is a little under-rated and Seattle's OL has been a mess for years and they cannot afford to keep making life so tough for their star QB.

Wynn plays with aggression and is very good in the run game, and competent as a pass blocker but needs to work on using his hands better. He is just a good football player who will be a day one starter

19 - Dallas Cowboys ........................ Calvin Ridley, WR - Alabama

Dallas need to add speed on offense, so they turn to Ridley. Some teams will be put off by his slight frame at 190 but he is a burner with a good pair of hands and has the quickness to work the middle of the field.

Ridley has drawn comparisons to Emmanuel Sanders

20 - Detroit Lions ........................ Marcus Davenport, DE - UTSA

The Lions consistently rank near the bottom of the league in sack production and simply must get more pressure on the QB. Their one shining light, Ziggy Ansah, is a FA this offseason who they need to retain. Even if they re-sign Ansah more pass rushing help is desperately needed.

Davenport comes from a small school and racked up 8.5 sacks and 17.5 tfl's this past season. He struggled in senior bowl week but impressed in the all star game. He is raw and needs working on but explodes off the edge and has a motor that never stops

21 - Buffalo Bills ........................ Josh Jackson, CB - Iowa

Another team with holes all over the roster, they could look at Kirk or Lamar Jackson here but I feel they go with D. Needing help on all 3 levels they pick the best player available on this side of the ball in Josh Jackson.

Jackson could go higher then this with very good size and ball skills but there are some questions about his speed down the field.

22 - Buffalo Bills (via Kansas City) ........................ Maurice Hurst, DT - Michigan

The DL is depleted after they cut Marcel Dareus during the season and Kyle Williams is now 34. Hurst is a little undersized at 282 pounds but is an excellent pass rusher who explodes into the backfield.

23 - Los Angeles Rams ........................ Jaire Alexander, CB - Louisville

The Rams have turned into a fine offensive team and have a strong DL led by Aaron Donald but the backfield has holes. Jaire Alexander is a perfect fit for a Wade Philips D as he is best in press coverage, has the ability to match up 1-1 and is good supporting the run. When in off-coverage Alexander is a little stiff at times and can get beaten by quickness but reads the game very well and has great ball skills

24 - Carolina Panthers ........................ Christian Kirk, WR - Texas A&M

With Funchess and Olsen the Panthers have 2 good pass catchers with size but after trading Benjamin they lack speed. 2 years ago the Newton / Ginn partnership was devastating and Kirk can bring those days back. He is only 5-11 and 200 pounds but has electric speed and despite seeing double teams all season still put up almost 1000 yards and 10 td's.

Kirk is also a very good returner

25 - Tennessee Titans ........................ Rashaan Evans, LB - Alabama

The Titans have a strong roster but could use some help in the LB corps with Orakpo nearing the end of his career and Kevin Dodd failing to produce thus far. Evans can line up outside or inside and had a big season after replacing Reuben Foster. He needs to improve against the run and can read the wrong play at times but is good in coverage and an explosive pass rusher with a knack of getting into the backfield

26 - Atlanta Falcons ........................ Ronnie Harrison, S - Alabama

Atlanta have a strong roster but they need to find a safety to pair with Keanu Neal. Harrison is a big physical safety and stands at 6-3, 216 pounds. He is excellent against the run and a great in the box defender. Harrison will add some toughness to the Atlanta D but has limitations in coverage which will prevent him getting drafted any higher then this

27 - New Orleans Saints ........................ Da'Ron Payne, DT - Alabama

The 3rd crimson tide in a row to go. NO made huge strides on D this season but still need to improve the DL and get bigger and more physical. Da'Ron Payne is a big interior defender who swallows up the run and had a terrific season. He flashes the ability to get into the backfield but needs to do it more often and develop more pass rushing moves.

28 - Pittsburgh Steelers ........................ Harold Landry, OLB - Boston College

Due to the horrific injury with Shazier and his uncertainty it wouldn't surprise me to see Pittsburgh pick up another pass rushing LB. Landry needs to get stronger and can struggle against the run but has a good range of pass rushing moves and knows how to get to the QB, with 21.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons

29 - Jacksonville Jaguars ........................ Lamar Jackson, QB - Louisville

I feel this would be a perfect fit for the young Jags. They have youth and talent all over the roster so why not add an exciting young and talented QB. Bortles played pretty well in January but I still feel an upgrade is needed over the long haul.

Jackson is possibly the hardest player to project where he will get drafted. Some teams will be completely turned off by him but some could easily fall in love with him and take him much higher then this. He is a playmaker with speed at the position not seen since Vick entered the league but is a better passer then him, but also is inaccurate at times and his mechanics need working on.

30 - Minnesota Vikings ........................ Mike Hughes, CB - UCF

The Vikings lack depth at corner and could use some help here. Xavier Rhodes is a very good #1 but Trae Waynes has struggled and Terence Newman is an ageing FA. Alexander was a round 2 corner last draft who is developing. In this pass happy league and getting carved up in the playoffs I don't think they will hesitate taking a corner at some point in the first 3 round.

Hughes looks like a natural corner. A good athlete who displays ball skills and the ability to mirror defenders he should hear his name called in round 1

31 - New England Patriots ........................ Ronald Jones II, RB - USC

This is a very un-NE like pick who haven't taken a RB in round 1 since Maroney in 2006 and have some good pass catching backs, I just feel that this is tremendous value at this point in the draft.

Jones is an explosive back who can score anywhere on the field, he can run with toughness inside and beat defenders to the corner on outside runs. A decent blocker with huge upside in the passing game. After watching what Kareem Hunt did to them in week 1 they might not hesitate taking Jones here

32 - Philadelphia Eagles ........................ Arden Key, OLB - LSU

The Eagles need more options at LB and someone who can put heat on the QB, Key is a classic boom or bust who is worth taking the chance on at this point, an explosive pass rusher who can look unstoppable but goes missing too often and has a questionable motor.

Any questions, comments or thoughts are always appreciated

Nelson would be a fine pick at #5. I could also see us trading down a bit and getting McGlinchey or Smith. I would love for the Jets to panic and move up one spot to take their preferred QB.

Not a fan of a guard in top 5.

That was a lot of work. Nice job. If we don't take Nelson, I am hoping Isaiah Wynn falls to us later.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That was a lot of work. Nice job. If we don't take Nelson, I am hoping Isaiah Wynn falls to us later.
    Wynn will probably be the second Guard drafted.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Curious as to why you have Edmunds as an OLB, heís more of an inside guy and has some serious coverage skills. Iíd flip him and Roquan Smith.

Also I just canít see Hernandez going that high, his technique throughout the season was so raw. With his strength he can get away with standing straight up and having his hands outside the frame in college but that wonít fly in the NFL especially if heís asked to play LG.

And me personally Iím taking Taven Bryan over Hurst.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 02-03-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Impressive work.

Tend to agree that Darnold is going to be a very good pro. My preference as a Bronco if they decide to go with a QB at #5. But as you speculate, do not expect him to be there. Same with Barkely. Another favorite most likely gone.

Assuming QB is a FA I am torn about #5. As much as the oline prospects would be a smart move, I think Fitzpatrick is the better choice. Versatile and talented. The ability to cover pass catching TEs while physical enough to be solid against the run game makes him worthy of that #5 pick IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Wynn will probably be the second Guard drafted.
    My vote for 2nd best from this draft is going to be Connor Williams. Like Wynn played LT, but see his future inside with the ability to kick outside in a crunch, probably more so than Wynn. See them as comparable guys with Conner a tick higher. Depends on how teams view him.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I actually see Clev going Barkley number 1 knowing they can grab a QB #4. Do not see any separation at QB and think there are going to be 4-5 viable options at QB picks 1-15.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    I actually see Clev going Barkley number 1 knowing they can grab a QB #4. Do not see any separation at QB and think there are going to be 4-5 viable options at QB picks 1-15.
    I think the only way they pass on a QB is if they don't take one at all in the 1st. They have so many misses on a QB, they won't take whatever QB is left at 4, they will take the one they want at #1. If they don't take a QB at 1, I bet they try and trade out of that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I think the only way they pass on a QB is if they don't take one at all in the 1st. They have so many misses on a QB, they won't take whatever QB is left at 4, they will take the one they want at #1. If they don't take a QB at 1, I bet they try and trade out of that pick.
    They could forego QB, I just have a feeling they really want Barkley, a plug and play guy to get the fans excited. Can't risk him getting by NY and INDY.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    They could forego QB, I just have a feeling they really want Barkley, a plug and play guy to get the fans excited. Can't risk him getting by NY and INDY.
    They have so many needs I can't see them taking barkley #1 when they could get 2 or 3 other top picks for that spot and still pick at #4 and still potentially get him there.

I would like that Guard pick nelson is a beast... IF RT is addressed along with the FA qb ( assuming we go that route for the sake of this mock)
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

so chances that rankin drops to us in the second in this scenario or do you think we could trade up for a RT?

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait