Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    The biggest thing is the catch rule could easily still be controversial in that now we could see more fumbles in the 3 steps than knocked loose would now be a fumble. Will be interesting to see how it happens in actual games.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    The biggest thing is the catch rule could easily still be controversial in that now we could see more fumbles in the 3 steps than knocked loose would now be a fumble. Will be interesting to see how it happens in actual games.
    Thats the concern, that we will see lots of silly looking fumbles that change games. We're see how it plays out

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thats the concern, that we will see lots of silly looking fumbles that change games. We're see how it plays out
    I think people are going to be fine with this...until it goes against their team.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I think we may see a few more fumbles than we have while the latest rule was in place, but this will be similar to how the rule was for decades.....when few were complaining. But think of the good side, a player makes a good catch, takes a few steps and goes down to the ground. The ball wiggles a little in his grasp. No harm no foul....no fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Can't agree with that, some people moaned about the catch rule and the owners voted to change it to appease people, not sure it makes the game better. I also don't think the 'lowering the head' rule change was the right thing to do or makes the game better but thats another story.

Basically it boils down to this. Some people think a receiver should have to maintain control when going to the ground, and some don't think it matters. I guess people are always going to fall on different sides of this debate.
    Can't agree with that.....it was simplification for players, coaches, refs and fans. You don't seem to want to accept this. It's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I think people are going to be fine with this...until it goes against their team.
    In a lighter sense, yes....but in seriousness, an educated fan will learn to understand and accept the new rule. They may wish for it to be otherwise when it happens to their team, but an educated fan will know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    In a lighter sense, yes....but in seriousness, an educated fan will learn to understand and accept the new rule. They may wish for it to be otherwise when it happens to their team, but an educated fan will know the difference.
    I should have added, or if it favors a team they dislike. I saw a lot of fans complain when a rule (as written) favored the Patriots. And I would say that most of them were educated fans.

And from what I've heard, they say that it might extend the time of games. That doesn't bother me because I set aside X number of hours to watch a game. I'll just have to add a little more.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I should have added, or if it favors a team they dislike. I saw a lot of fans complain when a rule (as written) favored the Patriots. And I would say that most of them were educated fans.

And from what I've heard, they say that it might extend the time of games. That doesn't bother me because I set aside X number of hours to watch a game. I'll just have to add a little more.
    Of course some of us will always go for the other side of the rule when it is a team we oppose. That's called 101 fandom. The point is, if a rule is not doing its job, change it....no matter how biased fans are. That is the logic behind every rule in the book. The goal of a rule is to be logical, fair and consistent. Fans matter, but biased fans are apt to see/think whatever suits them, good rule or not.

Which incident are you referring to?

As for extending games, unless you have a credible source, I don't see it. The previous rule caused many lengthy reviews. I think this rule will prove easier to call, and therefore less reviews.

Of course some of us will always go for the other side of the rule when it is a team we oppose. That's called 101 fandom. The point is, if a rule is not doing its job, change it....no matter how biased fans are. That is the logic behind every rule in the book. The goal of a rule is to be logical, fair and consistent. Fans matter, but biased fans are apt to see/think whatever suits them, good rule or not.

Which incident are you referring to?
    It was a general statement. There were several.

As for extending games, unless you have a credible source, I don't see it. The previous rule caused many lengthy reviews. I think this rule will prove easier to call, and therefore less reviews.
    There were several people on ESPN and NFLNetwork. Ex-coaches, ex-players. I consider them credible sources. Sorry, I can't give you names.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

It was a general statement. There were several.

There were several people on ESPN and NFLNetwork. Ex-coaches, ex-players. I consider them credible sources. Sorry, I can't give you names.
    I thought you meant one specific play. Generally speaking, sure, same scenario. Fans who dislike a team (like The Patsies) will look for an edge. I for one complained about the lack of penalties called against them in the playoffs, and I stand by it. I saw a number of penalties, not to mention they did not get one, single holding call in 3 games....which is basically unthinkable. I saw holds.

Not asking for names, just wondering how credible. Based on your answer, I guess I may have to study this a bit more, although I still think this will be faster. Perhaps in the first month or two, when everyone gets up to speed with it.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-28-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Not asking for names, just wondering how credible. Based on your answer, I guess I may have to study this a bit more, although I still think this will be faster. Perhaps in the first month or two, when everyone gets up to speed with it.
    Like with most things, it was their opinions. They could be wrong. And, like most things, we'll have to see how it goes.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Like with most things, it was their opinions. They could be wrong. And, like most things, we'll have to see how it goes.
    In the end, the question that matters....was it the right thing to do? I say changing the rule was. The NFL believes it was. And yes, until we see how it plays out, I believe long term it will help the game not hinder.