• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rastic
    Modulated
    • Oct 2013

Wolfe on new strength coach Landow: "He knows how to create competition"

KUSA — Loren Landow had been training dozens of Bronco players over the years, anyway.

Why not make him the team’s full-time strength and conditioning coach?

Broncos general manager John Elway and head coach Vance Joseph are about to make just such a home-run hire. Following an impressive interview for the Broncos’ vacant strength and conditioning coach Tuesday, the team is planning to hire Landow for the position once he is freed from his personal client commitments for the NFL Combine, sources told 9NEWS.

“That’s one of the best hires they could have made,'' said Denver defensive end Derek Wolfe. "That guy flies around the world. He’s going to Ireland in two days. They fly him all over the world to learn from him.

"And he’s fun. He’s workouts are fun. You want to be around him. His energy is always good. He’s the same guy every single day. He knows how to create competition. And that’s what you need when you’re training in the offseason. Nobody wants to go to OTAs anyway because it becomes doing the same (stuff) every day. I wished I could stay and train with Loren. Now I get train with him and be OTAs and be paid for it.’’

The combine, which includes more than 300 prospects eligible for the NFL Draft, will run from Feb. 27-March 5 in Indianapolis. Once the deal is finalized as expected, Landow would replace Luke Richesson as the Broncos’ strength and conditioning coach. Richesson had led the team’s strength program from February 2012 until he left last week to become the strength and rehabilitation coach of the Houston Texans.

"I'm so happy about this,'' Wolfe said. "I loved Luke, don't get me wrong. But Loren is the guy that I've worked with year-round.''

Landow has been a sports performance coach working in the Denver area for years. His Landow Performance website says he has worked with 70 NFL All Pros and 20 first-round draft selections.

Besides training draft or college free agent hopefuls, Landow regular trains current Broncos players Ron Leary, Max Garcia, Todd Davis and Wolfe among others. Demaryius Thomas and Bennie Fowler III also train with Landow when they're in town.

Landow has also worked with Major League Baseball, NHL, WNBA and Ultimate Fighting championship (UFC) athletes, as well as gold medalist swimmer Missy Franklin.

It was during the NFL lockout of 2011 when Landow became well-known in the Denver area. With Bronco players unable to work out at team’s headquarters during the offseason lockout, veteran safety Brian Dawkins organized regular team workouts. It was Landow who coached the Broncos through those workouts. The Broncos then won the first of five consecutive AFC West titles in 2011.

Landow was a finalist for the Broncos’ strength and conditioning coach in 2012. Although, the Broncos picked Richesson, Landow’s depth of sports performance knowledge stayed with Elway as the position became open again six years later.

Landow specializes in modern training techniques that combined with proper bi-motor fundamentals creates “maximum human performance efficiently and effectively,’’ according to his mission statement.

Once Landow joins the Broncos full-time, he is expected to distance himself as a coach from his Landow Performance, although the company will remain active as it employs 17 other sports performance coaches and a facilities manager, according to his website.

The Broncos also considered assistant strength and conditioning coaches Anthony Lomando and Mike Eubanks for the head job, as well as former Miami Dolphins and Indianapolis Colts’ strength coach Darren Krein. Lomando also received strong consideration and is expected to receive an expanded role as he works with Landow.

9News.com
    I thought with Luke Richesson leaving, this might cause another downgrade in the coaching staff. Sounds like it might be the exact opposite.
  • Rich_C
    Captain
    • Aug 2012

well overall I cannot say that we have seen a major "beef-up" and over all bully type players on the field. I also think that we've seen an awful lot of injuries on our team. SO perhaps this change will help with both of those areas. At the end of the day we have targeted a top tier guy for a vacant position so at the very least it appears that we're not going to see a decline or a drop-off.

Comment

Working...
    X