Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I would just like to see some justice. Either for the the alleged victim or for a speedy clearing of the accused.

Has anyone seen any further reports on this? What evidence is this charge being based on. Especially after five years? That much time always raises my pessimism in these type of allegations. After so much time what are the police investigating? What evidence could the prosecutors be basing this on?

If Gotsis is guilty he should be in jail. It would have been simpler if reported at the time of the incident. Has there been any reports on why it wasn't?

If not then clear his name and let him get on with his life. At this point his reputation is tarnished and the "details" are not important to the media. Sad but true nature of our society is he is guilty in most people's minds already. How can he prove to them he is Innocent after five years?

Hate how these types of allegations linger. Convict and give a victim some sense of closure or clear the man. But either way it shouldn't be as drawn out as these types of stories tend to be. IMO unfair to both parties. Our legal system is so messed up at times!
    I don't have any information on this case in particular, but it's not uncommon for victims to wait before coming forward. Look at the Bill Cosby case, they waited 30 years & he finally confessed
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Wow, lots of assumptions here. Glad you know the facts here. Would you like to fill the rest of us in on them since you obviously know what happened here?
    Well the details and the investigation sure seem to either be rather lack-luster or at the very least not becoming public. What we do know:

- 5 years have passed since the alleged rape took place
    - There is no word yet if the alleged victim made a formal complaint to the school (Gotsis's School)
    - There was no word yet if the alleged victim had a rape kit taken the night of or shortly there after
    - Adam has started to see some success at the pro level
    - We have no idea if the alleged victim continued to engage with Adam after the alleged rape took place.
    - The Me Too movement has taken place since the alleged rape occurred and is empowering (women thus far) to feel that they have a solid support system to report wrong doings (this is a very good thing - IMO)
    - What social movements can do however is allow for what would normally be do process to take place and perhaps allow for actions to occur more promptly then they would have in the past. most of the time this is OK because the accusers usually end up being found in the right. There are however instances such as the one with the Raiders player taken in the draft where his accuser was later discredited and no formal charges were laid as a result.

The issue with the limited information which has come out in Gotsis's case is that there is now a public perception that arrests cannot take place without substantial evidence being there. As some others have pointed out so long as small portions of the event can be corroborated, particularly in potentially dangerous crimes like Rape in some countries and jurisdictions charges/ arrests have a much lower bar then the public believes exists.

I hope that this investigation is thorough and quick. This is in large part because if he is in fact more likely than not to have done what he is accused of I don't want him on the team. On the flip-side if it is found out that he is not likely to have done what he is accused of I want his name cleared as quickly as possible to allow him to re-focus back on football. Another thing which I have not heard about is if the police have requested camera footage or reached out to the public to see if anyone has cell footage of the general area from back in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    I don't have any information on this case in particular, but it's not uncommon for victims to wait before coming forward. Look at the Bill Cosby case, they waited 30 years & he finally confessed
    Bill Cosby and his victims (some did come forward) they were all met with VERY high priced lawyers, threats and some even got caught in legally binding gag orders. Ultimately Bill Cosby and what he did is the very reason why many elements of the current Me too movement are so important for society to improve ourselves. Now a foreign college kid (scholarship or not) here in the country on a visa is far from a mega wealthy and influential Hollywood "hero" and perceived "father figure" to many. Gotsis if he was accused back when he was in college would have likely been arrested then and physical evidence if it existed would have been collected. IF there was evidence and he was found guilty he'd have been jailed and deported (permanently). I do not see the same financial barriers to accusing Gotsis as I do with Cosby.

Now it is very true what many are saying here may victims blame themselves and often hold onto their guilt. Going through a traumatic situation like rape or abuse can often take a lifetime to obtain the tools to feel OK and normal. That said to try and compare these two cases...or the scenarios by which some were reported is just not a fair comparison IMO - certainly not until more and better information gets released.

The accuser never went to the police until now - 5 years later. It's also reported they met at a party, where the alcohol flowed like niagara falls and they ended up back at his house - no doubt to just have some friendly conversation while baking cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Narco View Post
    The accuser never went to the police until now - 5 years later. It's also reported they met at a party, where the alcohol flowed like niagara falls and they ended up back at his house - no doubt to just have some friendly conversation while baking cookies
    Yeah, but what did those cookies have in 'em?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Yeah, but what did those cookies have in 'em?
    Well, I'm no Inspector Clouseau, but I'm gonna guess they had an Arrest Warrant.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Well, I'm no Inspector Clouseau, but I'm gonna guess they had an Arrest Warrant.
    Inside the cookies? Like a French warrant cookie? Peter Sellers. There's a memory.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    I'm surprised the prosecutor filed charges after so long; makes you wonder if they have him dead to rights. Not much chance of a he said she said, circumstantial 5 year old rape case ever getting off the ground, I'd think.
    So I actually just googled an article that says he was arrested for investigation, and that a panel of about 19 people will ultimately decide whether to actually file charges or not. As of right now he has not been charged with anything that I could find.

here is the link

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/1...investigation/
    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duhyaj View Post
    So I actually just googled an article that says he was arrested for investigation, and that a panel of about 19 people will ultimately decide whether to actually file charges or not. As of right now he has not been charged with anything that I could find.

here is the link

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/1...investigation/
    Unless DEN is different than the rest of the country, that's not how it works. The police investigate and present their findings to an ADA (Assistant District Attorney), and they decide whether or not to take a case. Unless of course their boss intervenes Trust me on this. I studied to be an ADA, and I am mentored by a former DA who worked with the state's Attorney General and FBI on more than 1 occasion. Plus I watch a lot of crime shows

This best explains it:

An arrest is made for either or both of two reasons:

1. The person is a potential risk to society (based on the accused offense or other information).

2. The person is a risk of fleeing the jurisdiction (for similar reasons as the above).

In Gotsis case, because of the charges, and his citizenship both apply

It is mandatory to bring an arrested person before a magistrate within 48 hours of the arrest. At that time, one of the things that is done is the magistrate will decide if the arrested person needs to remain in custody or if they can be bailed out or released on *personal recognizance* (a promise to appear in court).

In order to arrest someone, the police only need to have *probable cause*. If you want to put a number on this, then it is usually understood as around 33% likely that the information is correct. This burden of proof is the same regardless of if the arrest is done with a warrant (by writing out an affidavit to a neutral and detached magistrate, who will decide if probable cause does indeed exist) or without (under exigent circumstances, police can arrest without a warrant if they believe they have probable cause, but they must present the arrested person to a magistrate within 48 hours to explain the arrest and the probable cause used for it, at which point the magistrate will essentially approve or disapprove the arrest).

There are several steps between arrest and the court trial where it is possible for an innocent person to be removed from the process. As long as everyone involved was acting in *good faith*, then that is the end. "No harm, no foul", so to speak.

If the prosecutor does decide to take the case to trial, they must convince a grand jury to indict the arrested person for the charges (some states have a different process that effectively serves the same purpose of independent oversight).

So likely they arrested Gotsis for the two reasons, put him before a magistrate and then sent the file to the prosecutors office to desire if the charges are to be sworn and go forward.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

If you read the article the “19 person panel” mentioned is a special unit that prosecutes sex crimes in Atlanta. It is led by a District Attorney.

So you are both right.

Read another article that stated timeline of the investigaton and any possible charges will be well after the draft due to the case load of the unit.

Being completely selfish and myopic about it as a fan, that timeline is damn inconvenient.

In most cases the DA comes before the judge

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Unless DEN is different than the rest of the country, that's not how it works. The police investigate and present their findings to an ADA (Assistant District Attorney), and they decide whether or not to take a case. Unless of course their boss intervenes Trust me on this. I studied to be an ADA, and I am mentored by a former DA who worked with the state's Attorney General and FBI on more than 1 occasion. Plus I watch a lot of crime shows
    Forgive me I'm not too familiar with the American justice system (outside of Law&Order) but with a 19 person panel, wouldn't that be a grand jury? From what little I know I thought the DA could either charge the suspect straight away, or if the evidence is somewhat lacking they would present it to a grand jury and they would decide whether an indictment would take place?

Again I could be 100% wrong, just what I thought took place in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Forgive me I'm not too familiar with the American justice system (outside of Law&Order) but with a 19 person panel, wouldn't that be a grand jury? From what little I know I thought the DA could either charge the suspect straight away, or if the evidence is somewhat lacking they would present it to a grand jury and they would decide whether an indictment would take place?

Again I could be 100% wrong, just what I thought took place in the US.
    It appears this pannel is put together to descide to go to the grand jury and formally charge Gotsis. They are taking a really cautious and formal route. It just confirms to me what i suspected earlier that there are some policies in place for these types of offenses
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Not sure how the term “panel” was introduced. It seems to me to be misused or misunderstood in the case.

The Atlanta District Attorneys office has a special unit called the Crimes Against Women and Children Unit. They handle all sexual assault cases in the county. It has a total staff of 19. Prosecutors, investigators and paralegals led by a DA. After investigation they will decide to prosecute or not depending on the evidence.

Not a panel. A unit of 19 people. This info is outlined in the article linked. If like most units. Likely 1 or 2 investigators collect evidence then give it to one of the prosecutors to decide the final charges and/ or court proceedings