Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Jake Butt

It wouldn't surprise me if Heuerman actually stepped it up and became the #1 TE. I like our TE situation going forward, there will be good competition

So do you think that when JE drafts a player that he see the potential knowing that it will take a player that is drafted 3 years to perform?

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    So do you think that when JE drafts a player that he see the potential knowing that it will take a player that is drafted 3 years to perform?
    I just read an article and the whole basis of it was about how rare it is for a rookie to come in and have a starting role right away. Regardless of position, it takes all players time mentally and mostly physically to be ready to compete at the highest level.

Whether it's John Elway or Ozzie Newsome, these GMs draft the players and the coaches coach them. If the player doesn't pan out, imo, its mostly on the coaching staff for not getting the best out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Heuerman actually stepped it up and became the #1 TE. I like our TE situation going forward, there will be good competition
    He was only targeted twice on screen passes the last two seasons, and both times he broke tackles to get the 1st down. He made one of the best plays for the offense last season on that deep touchdown pass against the Colts, The issue seems to be lack of opportunities, not talent.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I just read an article and the whole basis of it was about how rare it is for a rookie to come in and have a starting role right away. Regardless of position, it takes all players time mentally and mostly physically to be ready to compete at the highest level.

Whether it's John Elway or Ozzie Newsome, these GMs draft the players and the coaches coach them. If the player doesn't pan out, imo, its mostly on the coaching staff for not getting the best out of them.
    Most of your point I agree with. Injuries and the players overall effort are not always on the coaches. Those severely hinder whether a player pans out. I also think in this win now and replace now mentality we have as fans and sometimes even FO expectations, a guy better show something his first 2 years pretty solid or almost always you can forget about year 3.

So my question is: After 2 years is it on the coaches/GM if they don't pan out assuming they are uninjured, or is it on the player for not creating a need for themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Most of your point I agree with. Injuries and the players overall effort are not always on the coaches. Those severely hinder whether a player pans out. I also think in this win now and replace now mentality we have as fans and sometimes even FO expectations, a guy better show something his first 2 years pretty solid or almost always you can forget about year 3.

So my question is: After 2 years is it on the coaches/GM if they don't pan out assuming they are uninjured, or is it on the player for not creating a need for themselves?
    Like Rod said, in most cases I think it's a matter of opportunity. I look at Lynch and I wander if any coach would of been able to make something out him. He didn't have the heart for learning or the patience to compete.

A lot of these guys feel entitled to something, like it's owed to them. Those are the guys that need broken, they need to learn what earning your place means. Being patient and humble will get you far in life. If these young guys can figure that out early than they will have an easier ride ahead of them. It is the GM and the scouting departments job to find these guys for their coaches.

2017 Adopted Bronco Andy Janovich

Like Rod said, in most cases I think it's a matter of opportunity. I look at Lynch and I wander if any coach would of been able to make something out him. He didn't have the heart for learning or the patience to compete.

A lot of these guys feel entitled to something, like it's owed to them. Those are the guys that need broken, they need to learn what earning your place means. Being patient and humble will get you far in life. If these young guys can figure that out early than they will have an easier ride ahead of them. It is the GM and the scouting departments job to find these guys for their coaches.
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I hope for Paxton's sake we are both wrong but right now I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I hope for Paxton's sake we are both wrong but right now I don't see it.
    Well, we haven't seen Paxton play football in 4 1/2 months. We will find out in August.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by -rod- View Post
    he was only targeted twice on screen passes the last two seasons, and both times he broke tackles to get the 1st down. He made one of the best plays for the offense last season on that deep touchdown pass against the colts, the issue seems to be lack of opportunities, not talent.
    this /////////////// !
    I saw those plays and always wondered why he wasn't targeted more? I feel he is our break out PLAYER THIS YEAR !!!

I agree with you on all points. Very eager to see them this year, especially Heurman.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 05-16-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." ĖJim Elliot

I feel like we said the same things about Heuerman last year too. Lot of hyping him up and then he got a handful of catches, and two career touchdowns. I've heard he's a good blocking tight end for us now. I wonder if his problem really is just poor QB play rather than him having trouble separation, as even no-effort DT still almost went for 1000 yards with 3 different QBs behind center last season.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I feel like we said the same things about Heuerman last year too. Lot of hyping him up and then he got a handful of catches, and two career touchdowns. I've heard he's a good blocking tight end for us now. I wonder if his problem really is just poor QB play rather than him having trouble separation, as even no-effort DT still almost went for 1000 yards with 3 different QBs behind center last season.
    I think that could be the very issue, I think Trevor had blinders on when it came to the TE's. It could be that between Trevor, Brock and Paxton that they were all so fixated on putting on a show to win the job that they forgot that TE's can move the chains too. They all tried so hard to get big plays through the WR's, they forgot that the TE can be just as dangerous. Heuerman, and Butt I believe could each be a starting TE on any given roster.

People forget that Jason Witten was a 3rd round pick and he took almost 2 full years to figure it out. Granted his rookie year he still had 30 something catches and he had stability at QB but none the less he still had to get stronger mentally and physically before they gave him the chance.

2017 Adopted Bronco Andy Janovich

I think that could be the very issue, I think Trevor had blinders on when it came to the TE's. It could be that between Trevor, Brock and Paxton that they were all so fixated on putting on a show to win the job that they forgot that TE's can move the chains too. They all tried so hard to get big plays through the WR's, they forgot that the TE can be just as dangerous. Heuerman, and Butt I believe could each be a starting TE on any given roster.

People forget that Jason Witten was a 3rd round pick and he took almost 2 full years to figure it out. Granted his rookie year he still had 30 something catches and he had stability at QB but none the less he still had to get stronger mentally and physically before they gave him the chance.
    I think itís a combination of both. None of our TEs can create a lot of separation. Derby seemed to be the guy they were most comfortable throwing to at that position. I think all of our QBs had a bad habit of wanting to see guys open rather than throwing them open.

Case Keenum isnít quite like that though. At least not last season. Rudolph doesnít create a lot of separation either but he had a very good season because Keenum knew how to put the ball where Rudolph can maximize his size and shield defenders from the ball. Heuerman and Butt both have similar traits as Rudolph so Iím expecting one of them to take charge and hold down that position this year. Although Austin Traylor showed a knack for finding soft spots in zones when he got on the field or the defense didnít respect his flabbiness and purposefully left him open.

If a player doesn't put in the effort, that's on him. If he gets injured, that's just bad luck. To me, the biggest responsibility on the coach is making sure to answer players' questions and point out where each play could have gone better
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I think it’s a combination of both. None of our TEs can create a lot of separation. Derby seemed to be the guy they were most comfortable throwing to at that position. I think all of our QBs had a bad habit of wanting to see guys open rather than throwing them open.

Case Keenum isn’t quite like that though. At least not last season. Rudolph doesn’t create a lot of separation either but he had a very good season because Keenum knew how to put the ball where Rudolph can maximize his size and shield defenders from the ball. Heuerman and Butt both have similar traits as Rudolph so I’m expecting one of them to take charge and hold down that position this year. Although Austin Traylor showed a knack for finding soft spots in zones when he got on the field or the defense didn’t respect his flabbiness and purposefully left him open.
    I agree with that. But one additional issue was that Virgil Green was our starting Tight End last season. And as with most Coaching Staffs in the NFL, the younger players aren't allowed time on the field until there is an injury, or the Front Office moves on from the Veteran, as happened with Green. Which forces the Coaching Staff to play the younger player.