• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Now over $6.3 million. And again I'm not sure that includes any of the donations being made by the NHL or it's teams?

As for the tragedy, the news today of two victims being misidentified was gut wrenching. The parents of Parker Tobin were sitting bedside with whom they thought was their son (the player's face is so swelled and cut up it's unrecognizable) only to be told by the coroner yesterday that in fact they had made a mistake and their son had been killed in the accident. The player who's bed they were actually at Xavier Labelle, had been reported as deceased, only for his parents to learn that he is actually alive.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...oner-1.4611045
    Lets just say I was not going to mention....given the pain and suffering that has already been felt, and will be for as long as folks have feelings.

Comment

• Peanut
      ModNut
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      Now over $6.3 million. And again I'm not sure that includes any of the donations being made by the NHL or it's teams?

As for the tragedy, the news today of two victims being misidentified was gut wrenching. The parents of Parker Tobin were sitting bedside with whom they thought was their son (the player's face is so swelled and cut up it's unrecognizable) only to be told by the coroner yesterday that in fact they had made a mistake and their son had been killed in the accident. The player who's bed they were actually at Xavier Labelle, had been reported as deceased, only for his parents to learn that he is actually alive.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...oner-1.4611045
      The joy and heartache of life.

Great story on Yahoo. Their links seem to get recycled so I hope you get to see the images.

Sticks Out

When we hear of a tragedy like the bus accident that took the lives of 15 Canadian hockey players last Friday, the first instinct for many of us is to help in some small way.

Few of us have ever been to Humboldt, Saskatchewan, or will ever go there. But the unbearable loss in a small prairie town is something we all feel. It could be any town in Canada, or any town in America.

One way that many have helped is by giving money for the bereaved families. A hockey mom in Saskatchewan set up a GoFundMe that has already raised more than $6 million. The donations have come in constantly over the weekend: $10, $25, $100.

Then there are the more symbolic shows of support, like one shared by a Winnipeg broadcaster and Humboldt native named Brian Munz. He received a text from a friend who decided he would leave a hockey stick outside his house because “The boys might need it … wherever they are.”.......

It’s an easy, simple gesture, but it’s powerful. The days in Humboldt will be long, but the nights will be longer. Sleep will not come easy to anyone in Saskatchewan for a while. Still, in the middle of the night, perhaps it will bring some amount of comfort to know there are porch lights on and sticks out all over the world, for Humboldt, and for the boys.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        The joy and heartache of life.

Great story on Yahoo. Their links seem to get recycled so I hope you get to see the images.

Sticks Out
        Here's another story along the same lines....

Brian Munz is a local TSN broadcaster:

"First, Canadians shared their shock and sympathy for the victims of the horrific Humboldt Bronco’s bus crash Friday evening. Now, they’re sharing their jerseys and hockey sticks.

Across social media, hundreds of photos have appeared, all with the same haunting image: a hockey stick, or several, leaned up against the front door. In some, the porch light is on, in others, candles flicker, illuminating a touching tribute to 15 lost lives.

TSN broadcaster Brian Munz, himself a Humboldt native, first tweeted about the tribute Sunday evening. He included a text message from a friend. “Leaving it out on the porch tonight,” the message reads. It follows a photo of a lone hockey stick, which rests against a door frame.
        The boys might need it ... wherever they are.

Here's just one of thousands of similar scenes across Canada, and beyond borders. Beautiful!

A massive response has followed, with social media users posting their tributes under the hashtag #PutYourStickOut and #HumboldtStrong."

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Just checked the Go Fund Me totals and at over $8.2M, this is the 3rd largest GFM ever. I said it before, this is not so much about the money, but rather the support that comes with it. Fortunately a number of the young men are doing well, including one fellow from my city. But every one of them will be affected forever. And no doubt, to some degree, so will parents and players of all sports and endeavours, who are transported by buses. But life goes on, and hopefully safety will always be the #1 factor behind such journeys.
          Last edited by CanDB; 04-11-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2008

Now at $8.7 million with donations from 65 countries.

Comment

• EddieMac
              Canuck Mod, eh!
              • Feb 2004

The RCMP just issued a general request for any non-uniformed front line member to wear a hockey jersey on one day to honour the team... that is pretty cool from an organization that is very dress code strict.
              sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

Dayna Brons, the lone woman aboard the Humboldt Broncos' team bus when it collided with a transport truck on April 6, has died.

Family and friends had been waiting anxiously, hoping the 25-year-old athletic trainer would pull through after she suffered serious head trauma.

She is the 16th person to leave us, as a result of the accident.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                  Super Moderator
                  • Dec 2008

Today marks the first day of funerals. The first being team play by play announcer Tyler Bieber, he was a volunteer football coach and a massive New England Patriots fan, it should be noted the NFL sent flowers to the funeral.

The Go Fund Me is now over $10.1 million. It started with an initial goal of $10,000, then after continuing to break through the goals the final goal was set at $4 million.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                    Super Moderator
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                    The RCMP just issued a general request for any non-uniformed front line member to wear a hockey jersey on one day to honour the team... that is pretty cool from an organization that is very dress code strict.

I didn't know today was Jersey Day across the country to honour the victims. Had I known I certainly would have joined in.

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

The Winnipeg Jets honoured Matthieu Gomecic, a survivor of the Humboldt tragedy, at last night's playoff game. Matthieu is from The Peg.

...here's a clip:

The crowd rose to their feet and cheered after the P.A. announcer asked the audience to "please give a warm welcome to Matthieu Gomercic and his family."

I'm sure the young man is going through a load of sadness. Hope he moves on to do great things!

And the fund is now over $15 million! Amazing support!!
                      Last edited by CanDB; 04-21-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X