Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Don't forget Jim Thorpe, the world's greatest athlete.
    wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    wrong.
    Lord Greystoke?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

College football hasn't changed because of rules. It has changed because coaches copy what they think will work. The dominance of Spread Option Gun offenses has caused defenses to respond. More teams are using 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 defenses than before, and there are probably more 3-4 defenses than before.

The cycle of offensive systems since 1907 is interesting. Innovators are uncommon. Spread Option started out over twenty years ago with Erk Russell, Rich Rodriguez and Urban Meyer and now it's probably over 80% of DI/FBS offenses. Same thing happened in high school. In the late Nineties we faced quite a few Wing-T, Power/Option I and Split Back Veer teams and a couple of Wishbone and Single Wing teams. We lost in the quarterfinals to a Spread Option team that required us to rethink the way we lined up and called our defense. Nowadays it's mostly Spread Option Gun.

Changing a trend is difficult because it needs coaching expertise and players who can execute it. George Halas wanted to go to the T-Formation and break the dominance of the Single/Double Wing, but it took time because most colleges were still Single Wing. He had to rely on Clark Shaughnessy, Dana Bible, Frank Leahy and Don Faurot for expertise with the T, and he had to find players like Sid Luckman. It took time, but the last NFL Single Wing team was in 1952, I believe.

NFL has to deal with what colleges send them. That's why the so-called RPO is the current thing.
    I love when you and Butler get deep! And you're right, rules may have been the wrong choice to go into the change of college football.
    #swapping

Lord Greystoke?
    does this help?

does this help?

Is that Jan-Michael Vincent?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Is that Jan-Michael Vincent?
    yep

yep
    Man, I loved Airwolf as a kid.

Quenton Nelson!

In my lifetime, no one was close to Barry Sanders. He averaged 250 yards and three touchdowns a game with virtually no talent around him. Watching him play, almost every play he looked legendary.

I will say that I saw him play.He came out of Nebraska as a Heisman Trouphy Winner..Believe it or not CFL salaries. Were higher than NFL..In. college he was special.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL 60 View Post
    I will say that I saw him play.He came out of Nebraska as a Heisman Trouphy Winner..Believe it or not CFL salaries. Were higher than NFL..In. college he was special.
    Who are you referring to?
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!