Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My biggest fear - Taking Mayfield over Rosen

I'm seeing more and more of Baker Mayfield being linked to us at 5, for many reasons this kid scares me, I'm not saying I am all aboard the QB train but if we take this kid with Rosen sitting on the board my TV's going out the window.

I agree with Bucky, Josh Rosen is going to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I'm seeing more and more of Baker Mayfield being linked to us at 5, for many reasons this kid scares me, I'm not saying I am all aboard the QB train but if we take this kid with Rosen sitting on the board my TV's going out the window.

You should check out Bill Barnwell's article on selecting QBs in the draft.

Statistically the two best predictors of success are Completion % and Number of College Games Started.

Mayfield stands head and shoulders above the rest on both statistics.

Also, when you break down the top 4 prospects based the length of throw, Mayfield stands head and shoulders above the rest on intermediate and deep throws, while Rosen is surprisingly weak on intermediate and deep throws (he made his living off of short throws...that can be death once NFL defenses figure that out).

Throw in Rosen's injury history and I think Mayfield is a better choice by far. Not a sure thing, but the surest in this year's draft. I'm glad most teams are freaked out by his height and crotch-grabbing antics. Could work out really well for us.

I don't always agree with Bucky (rarely actually) on some of his analysis but he's spot on with this one. Like you said, Rosen is a special quarterback in the making. I love everything Elway has done for the Broncos but if he passes on Rosen and the kid goes on to become an elite quarterback... I don't know man. Gonna take a while to forget.

What teammates say about Rosen
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/move-the-s...Josh-Rosen-360

That being said, I can live with Mayfield as well. I have him rated slightly below Rosen but second in this class.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    You should check out Bill Barnwell's article on selecting QBs in the draft.

Statistically the two best predictors of success are Completion % and Number of College Games Started.

Mayfield stands head and shoulders above the rest on both statistics.

Also, when you break down the top 4 prospects based the length of throw, Mayfield stands head and shoulders above the rest on intermediate and deep throws, while Rosen is surprisingly weak on intermediate and deep throws (he made his living off of short throws...that can be death once NFL defenses figure that out).

Throw in Rosen's injury history and I think Mayfield is a better choice by far. Not a sure thing, but the surest in this year's draft. I'm glad most teams are freaked out by his height and crotch-grabbing antics. Could work out really well for us.
    I'm not bothered about his on field persona, I view that as a good thing. I worried about -

QB's at his size very rarely find success

He has played in a spread offense which inflates stats and requires a steeper learning curve with snaps under center, dropbacks, etc.........

He played behind a great offensive line and scheme which often led to wide open receivers

Footwork is not very clean

and although this is just one guys opinion I think there is something behind it, from Ryan Leaf -

"A good litmus test for me is always when I listen to radio interviews or TV interviews, I tend to close my eyes and just listen to the voice, and hear the answer. I always say, 'If it sounds like the 1998 version of Ryan Leaf, there's definitely a red flag that needs to be raised there," Leaf said.

Mayfield passed for 4,627 yards and accounted for 48 touchdowns with just six interceptions while leading Oklahoma to the College Football Playoff and won the Heisman Trophy last season.

While that that is impressive, Mayfield is also linked to some less-than-stellar moments.

Mayfield planted the Sooner flag at midfield after winning at Ohio State and taunted Kansas fans as well. Those actions were preceded by a Feb. 25 arrest in Fayetteville, Ark., on charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and fleeing, which resulted in a plea deal.

"I think, probably, the comparison with me is more appropriate," Leaf told FOX Sports Radio in March. "The highly competitive, borderline arrogant, angry individual. ... The biggest thing for me will be how he deals with failure. That's where my downfall was, when things began to fall apart, how I was able to deal with that. When the media is on you, you play a bad game, your whole city is on you, that's where we'll see where Baker Mayfield is at. ... Right now there's no evidence to back up that when things get tough, he won't break."

I'm not bothered about his on field persona, I view that as a good thing. I worried about -

QB's at his size very rarely find success

He has played in a spread offense which inflates stats and requires a steeper learning curve with snaps under center, dropbacks, etc.........

He played behind a great offensive line and scheme which often led to wide open receivers

Footwork is not very clean

and although this is just one guys opinion I think there is something behind it, from Ryan Leaf -

"A good litmus test for me is always when I listen to radio interviews or TV interviews, I tend to close my eyes and just listen to the voice, and hear the answer. I always say, 'If it sounds like the 1998 version of Ryan Leaf, there's definitely a red flag that needs to be raised there," Leaf said.

Mayfield passed for 4,627 yards and accounted for 48 touchdowns with just six interceptions while leading Oklahoma to the College Football Playoff and won the Heisman Trophy last season.

While that that is impressive, Mayfield is also linked to some less-than-stellar moments.

Mayfield planted the Sooner flag at midfield after winning at Ohio State and taunted Kansas fans as well. Those actions were preceded by a Feb. 25 arrest in Fayetteville, Ark., on charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and fleeing, which resulted in a plea deal.

"I think, probably, the comparison with me is more appropriate," Leaf told FOX Sports Radio in March. "The highly competitive, borderline arrogant, angry individual. ... The biggest thing for me will be how he deals with failure. That's where my downfall was, when things began to fall apart, how I was able to deal with that. When the media is on you, you play a bad game, your whole city is on you, that's where we'll see where Baker Mayfield is at. ... Right now there's no evidence to back up that when things get tough, he won't break."
    I prefer Rosen over Mayfield, but not by that much. I think they will both be good. However, I disagree with Ryan Leaf's last sentence there. He says there's no evidence Mayfield won't crack under pressure. Well, there's no evidence he will either. I personally think Mayfield has a huge chip on his shoulder and an internal fire that will help him weather the ups and downs of NFL life.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    I don't always agree with Bucky (rarely actually) on some of his analysis but he's spot on with this one. Like you said, Rosen is a special quarterback in the making. I love everything Elway has done for the Broncos but if he passes on Rosen and the kid goes on to become an elite quarterback... I don't know man. Gonna take a while to forget.

What teammates say about Rosen
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/move-the-s...Josh-Rosen-360

That being said, I can live with Mayfield as well. I have him rated slightly below Rosen but second in this class.
    What happens if he passes on him and he goes on to be mediocre or worse? This time of year we all have our favourites, but we never really know. Last year there were many many people who wanted the Broncos to draft Reuben Foster, a lot of people were very angry when they didn't. A year later and it looks like a very wise move, Foster's spot in the NFL is very tenuous at best.

That's not to say Rosen will end up anything like that, just saying, we never really know.

And following up on that with comparing the two QBs, and all of the top prospects, if after all of the work they put into scouting the players, doing detailed background checks on the players, interviewing their former coaches and teammates and interviewing the players, I'm willing to accept they probably know better than me. If they choose a prospect I really don't want (Barkley) I'll be disappointed, but I'll support the player and I'll go forward believing the team picked the player they deemed best for them. It may not end that way, but hopefully it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    What happens if he passes on him and he goes on to be mediocre or worse? This time of year we all have our favourites, but we never really know. Last year there were many many people who wanted the Broncos to draft Reuben Foster, a lot of people were very angry when they didn't. A year later and it looks like a very wise move, Foster's spot in the NFL is very tenuous at best.

That's not to say Rosen will end up anything like that, just saying, we never really know.

And following up on that with comparing the two QBs, and all of the top prospects, if after all of the work they put into scouting the players, doing detailed background checks on the players, interviewing their former coaches and teammates and interviewing the players, I'm willing to accept they probably know better than me. If they choose a prospect I really don't want (Barkley) I'll be disappointed, but I'll support the player and I'll go forward believing the team picked the player they deemed best for them. It may not end that way, but hopefully it does.
    Of course, we're all just speculating here but that's half the fun, isn't it? It's always going to be a gamble no matter how early you pick.

Barkley? That's how I feel about Allen. He's borderline blacklisted as far as I'm concerned but if that's who we end up drafting at five, I'm just going to have to suck it up like any other season and hope for the best. I can't think of a single season where I loved all our picks at the time they were announced.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Of course, we're all just speculating here but that's half the fun, isn't it? It's always going to be a gamble no matter how early you pick.

Barkley? That's how I feel about Allen. He's borderline blacklisted as far as I'm concerned but if that's who we end up drafting at five, I'm just going to have to suck it up like any other season and hope for the best. I can't think of a single season where I loved all our picks at the time they were announced.
    I hope I'm happy with the first few picks, or at the very least they fill positions of need. No matter who it is, I'll cheer for them and hope for the best. But yeah there are some that I want a lot more than others.

Albert Breer's latest mock, posted today:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/17/nf...m-darnold-jets

5. BRONCOS: BAKER MAYFIELD, QB, OKLAHOMA

Denzel Ward, Quenton Nelson, trade down … Word is Elway confidantes Gary Kubiak and Matt Russell love Mayfield.
    Looks like Baker Mayfield is this year's Dak Prescott for Kubiak, but with a much higher grade.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Pick neither!
    GO BRONCO'S !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

Looks like Baker Mayfield is this year's Dak Prescott for Kubiak, but with a much higher grade.
    It's been no secret that Mayfield has been the team's favorite the entire offseason. He gotten far and away the most attention from the team.

Seems to be the Jets' favorite too, which is why I'm expecting us to trade up with the Giants to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

Are you sure Kubiak's pick isn't Keenum?

Mayfield has enough similarities to Keenum to make it interesting. Only Keenum has a few years of seasoning and maturity. I am not so sure the Broncos may have already found their QB. (not my preference but just looking at possibilities) . Not out of the realm of possibility that Kubiak has more confidence in Keenum then most of us. Reasoning could be "why develop a rookie QB when Keenum has already gained experience and tasted success"?

I am biased because I am not enthusiastic about either Mayfield or Rosen. Of the two Mayfield intrigues me the most. But in a system that suits him and playing immediately. Neither option I see the Broncos taking.

Actually if the Broncos select a QB at #5 I am going to hate the inevitable QB competition and controversy that ensues. Bronco franchise even more unstable and chaotic then currently viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Unlikely. Would have had a contract at least twice as long as the one he got if that were the case.

https://twitter.com/ryankoenigsberg/...778509824?s=21

Baker Mayfield and Gary Kubiak definitely have a good relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post

Mayfield has enough similarities to Keenum to make it interesting. Only Keenum has a few years of seasoning and maturity. I am not so sure the Broncos may have already found their QB. (not my preference but just looking at possibilities) . Not out of the realm of possibility that Kubiak has more confidence in Keenum then most of us. Reasoning could be "why develop a rookie QB when Keenum has already gained experience and tasted success"?

I am biased because I am not enthusiastic about either Mayfield or Rosen. Of the two Mayfield intrigues me the most. But in a system that suits him and playing immediately. Neither option I see the Broncos taking.

Actually if the Broncos select a QB at #5 I am going to hate the inevitable QB competition and controversy that ensues. Bronco franchise even more unstable and chaotic then currently viewed.
    I'm kind of bullish that Keenum is Rich Gannon 2.0.

Gannon wasn't elite but he was good enough to build great teams around. He was also a late bloomer like Keenum.

My only worry is that I'm not sure any QB can succeed with VJ as head coach. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Unlikely. Would have had a contract at least twice as long as the one he got if that were the case.

https://twitter.com/ryankoenigsberg/...778509824?s=21

Baker Mayfield and Gary Kubiak definitely have a good relationship.
    I think I read somewhere that both parties wanted a shorter contract. For the Broncos, they only had to make a moderate investment. For Keenum, he has the chance to be a coveted FA again in two years.