Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    By the way, Cecil Lammey was a guest speaker at the Broncos Quarterback Club this past Monday and he said the Broncos had Ryan Ramczyk ranked as the top OT, but Mike McCoy convinced Elway to take Garett Bolles because he thought Bolles was a better pass protector. So, Albert Breer was absolutely right about the Broncos original intentions. And talk about a blunder... The Broncos had it right, but McCoy blew it. That's probably one of the reasons why McCoy was fired and why Elway said he will follow his instincts this time.
    Who cares? At the end of the day, Bolles is on our team and Ryan isn't. Are you gonna post a similar response if we take Rosen over Mayfield? "Well, Breer said..." Who cares? All the matters is who ends up on the team. Breer can talk tell he's blue in the face, but it doesn't make him right. Did you actually hear all this from Elway himself? No? Was Lammey in the war room during the 2017 draft? How can he speak to such a certainty about what Elway thought or what McCoy did? There's always a margin for error in the game of secondhand information. Look, if we get Mayfield, we get Mayfield. I'll live with it. But nothing is certain until after that 5th pick next Thursday.

By the way, Cecil Lammey was a guest speaker at the Broncos Quarterback Club this past Monday and he said the Broncos had Ryan Ramczyk ranked as the top OT, but Mike McCoy convinced Elway to take Garett Bolles because he thought Bolles was a better pass protector. So, Albert Breer was absolutely right about the Broncos original intentions. And talk about a blunder... The Broncos had it right, but McCoy blew it. That's probably one of the reasons why McCoy was fired and why Elway said he will follow his instincts this time.
    If that was true McCoy deserved to be fired. Ramczyk has the makings of a franchise OT, and probably would have been the difference between one or two games we lost last season. It still burns me seeing how easy it was to pick the best OT available and we ended up with the OT that picked up the most flags last season
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by BlindFandom88 View Post
    Who cares? At the end of the day, Bolles is on our team and Ryan isn't. Are you gonna post a similar response if we take Rosen over Mayfield? "Well, Breer said..." Who cares? All the matters is who ends up on the team. Breer can talk tell he's blue in the face, but it doesn't make him right. Did you actually hear all this from Elway himself? No? Was Lammey in the war room during the 2017 draft? How can he speak to such a certainty about what Elway thought or what McCoy did? There's always a margin for error in the game of secondhand information. Look, if we get Mayfield, we get Mayfield. I'll live with it. But nothing is certain until after that 5th pick next Thursday.
    Who cares?

I do. Sure, it doesn't change the past or the fact that Bolles is on the team. It does restore, if only a little, confidence and hope going forward about the FO and the draft as well as taking action for personnel decisions like McCoy - explaining why he was thrown to the curb in more detail. From this perspective, that decision looks even better.

Switching sides so smoothly makes Ramczyk even more impressive. Look how OTs struggle switching to the right side. A veteran LT like Veldheer had issues playing RT last season. Being a RT in today's NFL means playing against Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Justin Houston, Vic Beasley, Joey Bosa. I doubt Bolles can play against these rushers, especially while getting used to changing his movement on the right side.
    Bolles, despite being older, was still a very raw prospect coming into the NFL. That was certainly evident last year. He should get better, especially considering our QB situation has been upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Bolles, despite being older, was still a very raw prospect coming into the NFL. That was certainly evident last year. He should get better, especially considering our QB situation has been upgraded.

I think Bolles will have an outstanding year this year and I am calling it now Bolles will make the Pro Bowl this year!

For his sake, he needs to. His holding penalties absolutely hurt the team last season. He's also one of the oldest players on the team as well, so he isn't going to be given the same amount of leeway younger first round picks get.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Switching sides so smoothly makes Ramczyk even more impressive. Look how OTs struggle switching to the right side. A veteran LT like Veldheer had issues playing RT last season. Being a RT in today's NFL means playing against Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Justin Houston, Vic Beasley, Joey Bosa. I doubt Bolles can play against these rushers, especially while getting used to changing his movement on the right side.
    I think he would fare pretty well, especially if he had a HOF QB helping him.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    I think Bolles will have an outstanding year this year and I am calling it now Bolles will make the Pro Bowl this year!
    I'll take that bet

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I'm seeing more and more of Baker Mayfield being linked to us at 5, for many reasons this kid scares me, I'm not saying I am all aboard the QB train but if we take this kid with Rosen sitting on the board my TV's going out the window.

I agree with Bucky, Josh Rosen is going to be special.
    IMO it's Mayfield that is going to be special and I will cheer from the mountain tops if Elway shows to wisdom to choose the better player if/when given the opportunity.

The release of CJ is the perfect smokescreen to get a team to leap frog us for a RB allowing Mayfield to drop to 5. Hopefully that is how this plays out and we get our immediate backup QB and long term solution now.

- GB2

Quote Originally Posted by 16TheSnake View Post
    IMO it's Mayfield that is going to be special and I will cheer from the mountain tops if Elway shows to wisdom to choose the better player if/when given the opportunity.

The release of CJ is the perfect smokescreen to get a team to leap frog us for a RB allowing Mayfield to drop to 5. Hopefully that is how this plays out and we get our immediate backup QB and long term solution now.

- GB2
    no one is going to jump up over 5 for a RB, imo

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    For his sake, he needs to. His holding penalties absolutely hurt the team last season. He's also one of the oldest players on the team as well, so he isn't going to be given the same amount of leeway younger first round picks get.
    I disagree. His age doesn't match his experience level. He only started one year at a major college program. He deserves a little slack.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Are you sure Kubiak's pick isn't Keenum?

Mayfield has enough similarities to Keenum to make it interesting. Only Keenum has a few years of seasoning and maturity. I am not so sure the Broncos may have already found their QB. (not my preference but just looking at possibilities) . Not out of the realm of possibility that Kubiak has more confidence in Keenum then most of us. Reasoning could be "why develop a rookie QB when Keenum has already gained experience and tasted success"?

I am biased because I am not enthusiastic about either Mayfield or Rosen. Of the two Mayfield intrigues me the most. But in a system that suits him and playing immediately. Neither option I see the Broncos taking.

Actually if the Broncos select a QB at #5 I am going to hate the inevitable QB competition and controversy that ensues. Bronco franchise even more unstable and chaotic then currently viewed.
    Mayfield and Keenum are a perfect duo. Youth and experience, similar size, similar playstyle, similar athleticism. You can run the same playbook with both QBs; if 1 gets hurt the offense continues to hum.

It is the ideal QB1/QB2 situation for the Broncos next year IMO.

If we don't get Mayfield, and Keenum ends up missing games due to injury we will hate ourselves watching PL piss away the season.

Backup QB is a huge hole on this team; let's fill it ideally!

-GB2

I disagree. His age doesn't match his experience level. He only started one year at a major college program. He deserves a little slack.
    One of the ways younger players improve is in maturing a little. Bolles has already done that so he won't improve as much as a younger player might over their first year or 2. i think he will improve but his room for improvement is pretty low, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    no one is going to jump up over 5 for a RB, imo
    No one has to jump over 5 to ensure he goes before our selection. He is going to be gone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    One of the ways younger players improve is in maturing a little. Bolles has already done that so he won't improve as much as a younger player might over their first year or 2. i think he will improve but his room for improvement is pretty low, imo.
    Disagree, although maturity is a thing, Bolles is still so new to the game and maturing as player. We know he will work hard, but hes still learning the proper way to focus his work.