Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

An interesting look at what the Broncos were offered for 5

From Klis -

How much did the Broncos like Bradley Chubb?

They gave up a chance to acquire an extra, first-round draft pick to stay at No. 5 and select who John Elway believed was the best player in the draft.

After traveling thousands of miles to watch Senior Bowl practices, Pro Day and NFL Combine workouts, after spending days upon days of watching film, after allocating hours upon hours of visiting personally with college prospects, Elway, the Broncos’ general manager for going on his eighth season, had a firm plan going into the first-round of the NFL Draft.

According to league sources familiar with the Broncos’ draft plan, the team had cooled on quarterback Baker Mayfield. Even had he slipped past the Cleveland Browns’ No. 1 overall draft selection, even had the New York Jets not taken him at No. 3, the Broncos were not going to take Mayfield at No. 5.

Darnold was Elway’s guy among the Big 4, a quarterback group that also included Josh Rosen and Josh Allen. But Elway was also high on Barkley, the sensational running back from Penn State, and Chubb, the pass-rushing defensive end with the revved motor from North Carolina State.

Elway didn’t just consider Chubb the best defensive player in the draft. He considered him tied with Barkley as the best player, period.

Elway would have been tempted to take Barkley or Darnold, if they were also there at No. 5. Offense had been the Broncos’ weaker side the previous three years. Yes, Darnold would have been tempting.

But as it turned out, we’ll never know. Barkley went No. 2 to the New York Giants and Darnold went No. 3 to the Jets.

Had the Browns with their No. 4 pick selected Chubb, the Broncos would have taken the Bills’ trade package. According to sources, the Broncos would have acquired the Bills’ No. 12 and No. 22 picks in the first round and one of their two second-round picks (either No. 53 or No. 56 overall) while Denver would have sent one of its third-round picks (No. 71 or no. 99) back to Buffalo.

In summary, the deal would have given the Broncos and one extra pick in the first round, and, in theory, a better player on Day 2.

But when the Browns took Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward at No. 4, Chubb was still available at No. 5.

Call Buffalo. The deal is off. Indianapolis with the No. 6 pick called the Broncos about moving up one spot to take Chubb. Elway decided to take tremendous quality – his guy -- over decent quantity.

I thought the bills were unwilling to trade both of thier first?

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    same thing i heard

I'm sure happy the way it turned out is all I have to say about it. Welcome aboard Mr. Chubb.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    And they didn't when they ultimately moved up

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    And they didn't when they ultimately moved up
    Maybe it cost more to move to 5 then 7, plus they might have thought they needed to offer more if the Broncos were interested in Allen

I wonder what the Colts were offering.

Nelson and a high second rounder would have been pretty sweet, too.

Pass rush is more valuable, though. I think we chose correctly.

They would have had:

Two 1's
    Two 2's
    One three
    Two 4's
    Two 5's

Wonder what they have done with 12 and 22. Looking how the board went, could have gone Derwin, and Hernandez/Wynn/Evans.

I would have wanted Vita Via at #12 and Will Hernandez at #22.

Cleveland taking Ward was a curveball. Happily for us, Chubb fell to 5. I think the plan all along was QB (Darnold?), Barkley, Chubb, or trade back. Until Cleveland's pick, it looked like those 3 would be gone.

Like Elway said they had Chubb and Barkley rated as joint best players in the draft, and I would argue a pass rusher is more important to grab then a running back who can generally be found later on.

Extra picks are always nice but you can't turn down an elite prospect like Chubb

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    I wonder what the Colts were offering.

Nelson and a high second rounder would have been pretty sweet, too.

Pass rush is more valuable, though. I think we chose correctly.
    What part of the Broncos had 0 interest in Nelson do u people not understand? Good teams dont waste too 5 picks on guards

Quote Originally Posted by crp24lbc View Post
    What part of the Broncos had 0 interest in Nelson do u people not understand? Good teams dont waste too 5 picks on guards
    Coming from the person that said his “sources” said Denver was trading up for a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Coming from the person that said his “sources” said Denver was trading up for a QB.
    Dont forget such classics as nelson wasnt going top ten and landry wasnt getting traded.....0 chance if i remember correctly.

I really hope some of these younger guys develop on offensive line that we have.
    Glen Haven Fire

I read that the Broncos strongly considered Nelson before the draft as an option at 5, along with Ward, Darnold, Barkley, and Chubb. It came out after the draft that the Broncos would have taken Darnold, Barkley, or Chubb at 5 and if those 3 were gone then they had a trade down in place with the Bills.

So ultimately Elway / Kubiak decided that only 3 players were worth the pick at 5