• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myoung
    Captain
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    I would have wanted Vita Via at #12 and Will Hernandez at #22.
    I agree and I think this is ultimately what it came down to, would you rather have these two or Chubb? Let’s hope Chubb becomes the next Terrell Suggs and QBs are terrorized for the next decade just like they were a couple years ago.

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
      I thought the bills were unwilling to trade both of thier first?
      Originally posted by LegionOfVonDoom View Post
      same thing i heard
      As has already been discussed (in Broncos forum), this is not what some believe was the offer. It was 12 and both seconds. Big difference!

What is it???!!!

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

The good news for me....Elway liked the 3 guys I liked most. Chubb, Barkley and Darnold. Not that my preferences matter.

Comment

• armedequation
          cafe official sidekick
          • Aug 2005

I am happy we got one of the top rated players in the draft. I didnt know in depth detail about sutton but i know getting him in the second was a steal.
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• bronx_2003
            Banned User
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            As has already been discussed (in Broncos forum), this is not what some believe was the offer. It was 12 and both seconds. Big difference!

What is it???!!!
            Elway would have been tempted to take Saquon Barkley or Sam Darnold, if they were also there at No. 5. Offense had been the Broncos' weaker side the previous three years. Yes, Darnold would have been tempting.

Had the Browns with their No. 4 pick selected Chubb, the Broncos would have taken the Bills’ trade package. According to sources, the Broncos would have acquired the Bills’ No. 12 and No. 22 picks in the first round and one of their two second-round picks (either No. 53 or No. 56 overall) while Denver would have sent one of its third-round picks (No. 71 or no. 99) back to Buffalo.

Klis has a lot of good sources in the NFL and in particular with the Broncos backroom so I'm inclined to believe the above is true.

Comment

• den1buff
              Practice Squad
              • May 2015

Was Reported that Kubiak preferred Nelson at 5 and was overruled. Also that Indy offered to trade back up to 5. If that was the case, Indy had regrets about missing out on Chubb who they could have had if stayed at 3.
              Also reports were that some teams offered to trade with Seattle for Penny after he was drafted. I know Broncos had Penny in for visit. Not saying Broncos were one of those teams, but would be curious to know who those teams may have been. Also sounded like for our 2nd Broncos were targeting Hernandez and Ronald Jones. Will be fun in a couple years to see how things panned out.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                Banned User
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by den1buff View Post
                Was Reported that Kubiak preferred Nelson at 5 and was overruled. Also that Indy offered to trade back up to 5. If that was the case, Indy had regrets about missing out on Chubb who they could have had if stayed at 3.
                Also reports were that some teams offered to trade with Seattle for Penny after he was drafted. I know Broncos had Penny in for visit. Not saying Broncos were one of those teams, but would be curious to know who those teams may have been. Also sounded like for our 2nd Broncos were targeting Hernandez and Ronald Jones. Will be fun in a couple years to see how things panned out.
                I really liked Jones and especially Hernandez, but ever since Welker left we have been crying out for another target and hopefully Sutton can provide that.

The D focuses on DT and Sanders and there is never any help from a third WR or TE, hopefully that changes this season with Sutton and Hamilton, along with an interesting TE situation.

Comment

• MHSalute
                  Ring of Famer
                  • Feb 2011

So we went Chubb over Nelson and a pick from Indy. Just so hard to find a player like Chubb outside of top 10, think it is easier to find a comparable guard outside of top 20 draft picks.

I do think we could have landed pick # 32 and taken Hernandez, we were better positioned to grab that pick than Baltimore.
                  Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• Spice 1
                    Football Immortal
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                    http://www.9news.com/article/sports/...r/73-546939481

Had the Browns with their No. 4 pick selected Chubb, the Broncos would have taken the Bills’ trade package. According to sources, the Broncos would have acquired the Bills’ No. 12 and No. 22 picks in the first round and one of their two second-round picks (either No. 53 or No. 56 overall) while Denver would have sent one of its third-round picks (No. 71 or no. 99) back to Buffalo.

Klis has a lot of good sources in the NFL and in particular with the Broncos backroom so I'm inclined to believe the above is true.
                    Based on this, Cleveland saved Buffalo from massive stupidity.

Must've been some serious low balling going on with Penny. I know some people on this board were crazy about him, though.

Comment

• SoundsOfSuccess
                      Starter
                      • Nov 2010

I think that taking quality over quantity was the right move. We already had extra picks in the 3rd and 4th round.

Our top pick had to be a can't miss type of player. If Chubb's pass rush never develops, I think it's fair to expect his floor to still be a very solid player. Especially in run defense.

Comment

• Hadez
                        Football Immortal
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                        And they didn't when they ultimately moved up
                        I think once it was obvious the Broncos would not select a qb then the Bills probably realized the did not have to trade both first round picks.

IMO the only team that would have really gotten both 1st round Bill picks would have been Clev for the 4th pick. Once the Broncos made it clear they would trade imo the Bills should have known the Broncos were not going to take the QB the Bills wanted. Tho there is grey area to play with in that negotiation.
                        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                        effort x talent = skill
                        effort x skill = achievement
                        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• CanDB
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2008

Not to worry about the trade that never happened. It is nothing more than an "IF".....

Besides, a long time ago I heard the advice.....take the best player in a trade situation. Quantity is good, but quality wins! (Now...if we're talking 3 first rounders, I might have to take that back!!)

Comment

• colowoz
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Jan 2006

Myself I dont believe that denver was offered 2 - 1st round picks, they gave less to Tampa which by the point value it was more in line to be fair (equal).

but very pleased that Chubb was available at # 5.

Comment

• 16TheSnake
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by crp24lbc View Post
                              What part of the Broncos had 0 interest in Nelson do u people not understand? Good teams dont waste too 5 picks on guards
                              Based on the war room interview with Klis, Kubiak was heavily pushing for Nelson @5, but Elway/Russell/Joseph wanted Chubb.

-GB2

Comment

• Endaround
                                Practice Squad
                                • May 2017

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                                http://www.9news.com/article/sports/...r/73-546939481

Klis, the prognosticator of the moot point.
                                :lombardi:

Comment

Working...
                                X