Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NFL Networks' Chad Reuter Gives Denver The Best Ranking In AFC W

OK.....before I go further, lets just make the standard comment that seems to be so important to some: "it is far too early to talk about rankings".....

But for those of us who like this sort of thing, lets carry on. Apparently a lot of well paid people do this as well.

So Reuter, who I know a little about, but not enough to proclaim genius, rated The AFC W Drafts as follows:

Denver - A

Chubb was the best value on the board for this team. Putting him and Von Miller on the same defense makes them dangerous again, like when DeMarcus Ware and Miller were doing their thing. Case Keenum's two-year deal took QB out of the equation here, and Paxton Lynch still has an opportunity to grow into a starter. Sutton's going to be a playmaker at the next level because of his quick feet and size. The Broncos also needed a running back after letting C.J. Anderson go, and found one in Freeman, who looked more explosive later in the 2017 season. He might be getting back to his former self after struggling through injury; if he returns to form, the team got a steal. Trading Aqib Talib meant the Broncos were in need of a corner with length. Yiadom is a good fit.

Chargers - B+

The Chargers let the draft come to them in the first round, and they got a great player at a need position. Doesn't get much better than that for a mid-first-round selection. James is fluid, tough, and fast. I don't understand why he was still available at 17. The team was looking to improve its linebacker situation, and it deemed Nwosu the best option available in the middle of the second round. Will Texas' Malik Jefferson or Georgia's Lorenzo Carter -- who were both still on the board -- prove to be better players? Time will tell. They found their nose tackle in the third round, picking Jones. This might have been a little early for him, but we'll see if he can put it all together to be more than a rotational player.

Kansas City - B+

The Chiefs had no first-round selection this year because they traded up 17 spots in 2017 to bring in Patrick Mahomes. The young gunslinger played well enough last season that the team unloaded veteran Alex Smith this off-season. The Chiefs wanted a versatile defender in the second round, and they gave up a third-round pick to go get Speaks, who fits the bill. Speaks has potential, and he'll have to meet it to make the trade-up worthwhile. Nnadi will be a good nose tackle, but can he affect the passing game enough to justify the team's decision to give up a fourth-round pick to move up 11 spots to get him? With the final pick in the third round, the Chiefs added O'Daniel, who will play a safety/linebacker hybrid role. The value was about right, and it will be an interesting fit.

Oakland - C

With many top-notch defenders on the board, the Raiders took an athletic but inconsistent tackle in Miller. His tape did not put him in the mid-first round. The team did get a third- and fifth-round pick in the trade to with Arizona to move five picks down (from 10 to 15), so that's a plus. Hall was one of my favorite non-FBS players in this draft, but his ascension to the second round was astounding. I believe his quickness and tenacious nature will translate to the NFL. Parker is raw and a bit of a reach in the early third, especially for a team that already picked an offensive tackle in Round 1. The Raiders took a chance on Key, who struggled with issues and injuries during his college career. If he can straighten things out, maybe he'll use his length to become a potent pass rusher.

~~~~~~

I think Chubb is pretty much on everyone's list of the guy they wanted to have. He is in a unique class, along with Barkley. Many of us still aren't sure why Cleveland took Ward, an excellent CB for sure, but a player that on the surface seems to be an unwise choice given Chubb's availability. Don't get me wrong, Ward was highly rated as well, but they could easily have landed Chubb and a high quality CB with their next pick or two. Not so at DE. Oh well....that's done.

Some are not as keen on Sutton, although he is one of the better WRs. But we double dipped at WR, which tells me Elway's group are serious about the importance of the position. Overall, I like the blend of positional selections. Not sure why Oliner was not addressed til late.

I expect The AFC West to be quite competitive. Apparently The Raiders did not excite this analyst, but are still dangerous, and who knows what Gruden will bring??!!.

The only other team he rated as low as C were The Seahawks. Their magic is gone. May be looking for a new coach next year unless Wilson runs, throws, blocks and catches.

I don't see how the Chiefs got a B+, unless he is including the Mahomes pick which is stupid because it should be based on who they drafted this year, regardless of future / past picks traded. Speaks and Nnadi are decent but not worth where they were picked. I would give them a C at best.

The AFC West is a strange division, any of the 4 teams could emerge. I would put the Chargers as favorite but I say that quite often and they always fail to live up to expectations. KC have lost Smith and Peters and have effectively a rookie QB so who knows how he will do. I like Carr in Oakland but still feel their roster has many holes.

I might be biased but it could easily be argued we are the favorites. We are loaded on D and have added more targets / weapons on O. As long as Keenum can provide at least 'solid' QB play then we should do well.

As always time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    OK.....before I go further, lets just make the standard comment that seems to be so important to some: "it is far too early to talk about rankings".....

But for those of us who like this sort of thing, lets carry on. Apparently a lot of well paid people do this as well.

So Reuter, who I know a little about, but not enough to proclaim genius, rated The AFC W Drafts as follows:

Denver - A

Chubb was the best value on the board for this team. Putting him and Von Miller on the same defense makes them dangerous again, like when DeMarcus Ware and Miller were doing their thing. Case Keenum's two-year deal took QB out of the equation here, and Paxton Lynch still has an opportunity to grow into a starter. Sutton's going to be a playmaker at the next level because of his quick feet and size. The Broncos also needed a running back after letting C.J. Anderson go, and found one in Freeman, who looked more explosive later in the 2017 season. He might be getting back to his former self after struggling through injury; if he returns to form, the team got a steal. Trading Aqib Talib meant the Broncos were in need of a corner with length. Yiadom is a good fit.

Chargers - B+

The Chargers let the draft come to them in the first round, and they got a great player at a need position. Doesn't get much better than that for a mid-first-round selection. James is fluid, tough, and fast. I don't understand why he was still available at 17. The team was looking to improve its linebacker situation, and it deemed Nwosu the best option available in the middle of the second round. Will Texas' Malik Jefferson or Georgia's Lorenzo Carter -- who were both still on the board -- prove to be better players? Time will tell. They found their nose tackle in the third round, picking Jones. This might have been a little early for him, but we'll see if he can put it all together to be more than a rotational player.

Kansas City - B+

The Chiefs had no first-round selection this year because they traded up 17 spots in 2017 to bring in Patrick Mahomes. The young gunslinger played well enough last season that the team unloaded veteran Alex Smith this off-season. The Chiefs wanted a versatile defender in the second round, and they gave up a third-round pick to go get Speaks, who fits the bill. Speaks has potential, and he'll have to meet it to make the trade-up worthwhile. Nnadi will be a good nose tackle, but can he affect the passing game enough to justify the team's decision to give up a fourth-round pick to move up 11 spots to get him? With the final pick in the third round, the Chiefs added O'Daniel, who will play a safety/linebacker hybrid role. The value was about right, and it will be an interesting fit.

Oakland - C

With many top-notch defenders on the board, the Raiders took an athletic but inconsistent tackle in Miller. His tape did not put him in the mid-first round. The team did get a third- and fifth-round pick in the trade to with Arizona to move five picks down (from 10 to 15), so that's a plus. Hall was one of my favorite non-FBS players in this draft, but his ascension to the second round was astounding. I believe his quickness and tenacious nature will translate to the NFL. Parker is raw and a bit of a reach in the early third, especially for a team that already picked an offensive tackle in Round 1. The Raiders took a chance on Key, who struggled with issues and injuries during his college career. If he can straighten things out, maybe he'll use his length to become a potent pass rusher.

~~~~~~

I think Chubb is pretty much on everyone's list of the guy they wanted to have. He is in a unique class, along with Barkley. Many of us still aren't sure why Cleveland took Ward, an excellent CB for sure, but a player that on the surface seems to be an unwise choice given Chubb's availability. Don't get me wrong, Ward was highly rated as well, but they could easily have landed Chubb and a high quality CB with their next pick or two. Not so at DE. Oh well....that's done.

Some are not as keen on Sutton, although he is one of the better WRs. But we double dipped at WR, which tells me Elway's group are serious about the importance of the position. Overall, I like the blend of positional selections. Not sure why Oliner was not addressed til late.

I expect The AFC West to be quite competitive. Apparently The Raiders did not excite this analyst, but are still dangerous, and who knows what Gruden will bring??!!.

The only other team he rated as low as C were The Seahawks. Their magic is gone. May be looking for a new coach next year unless Wilson runs, throws, blocks and catches.
    Browns took DE in the 1st in back to back years already. Ogbah and Garrett. Everyone should have known better than to think they would do it a 3rd time. I really thought they would trade that #4 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I don't see how the Chiefs got a B+, unless he is including the Mahomes pick which is stupid because it should be based on who they drafted this year, regardless of future / past picks traded. Speaks and Nnadi are decent but not worth where they were picked. I would give them a C at best.

The AFC West is a strange division, any of the 4 teams could emerge. I would put the Chargers as favorite but I say that quite often and they always fail to live up to expectations. KC have lost Smith and Peters and have effectively a rookie QB so who knows how he will do. I like Carr in Oakland but still feel their roster has many holes.

I might be biased but it could easily be argued we are the favorites. We are loaded on D and have added more targets / weapons on O. As long as Keenum can provide at least 'solid' QB play then we should do well.

As always time will tell
    Our picks reflect that a lot of trust was placed onto Case Keenum, we'll see if he's earned that trust this year.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Our picks reflect that a lot of trust was placed onto Case Keenum, we'll see if he's earned that trust this year.
    agreed. Building for which ever QB is in there. 2 WR, 2 RB, and a TE. Then another RB and WR as UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Browns took DE in the 1st in back to back years already. Ogbah and Garrett. Everyone should have known better than to think they would do it a 3rd time. I really thought they would trade that #4 pick.
    Well there was rumor of us taking ward at 5. that might have made them pull the trigger art 4 vs trading back and hoping he was there

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    Well there was rumor of us taking ward at 5. that might have made them pull the trigger art 4 vs trading back and hoping he was there
    very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    Not sure how logical that would be, unless they were guaranteed a high draft pick from a trading partner. Are we talking Indy? Because Ward was likely going to be taken pretty soon thereafter.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-29-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Not sure how logical that would be, unless they were guaranteed a high draft pick from a trading partner. Are we talking Indy? Because Ward was a top 10 pick from the get go.
    Well maybe they thought they could drop back a few or even trade back up after trading down.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I think that was another one of those Browns draft picks that in a few years will look bad. Ward is a good player but not #4 in the draft good. They should of chose Chubb or traded back IMO.

Better than Bleacher Rags Mike Tanier who gave Chubb a 'C'.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    He gave the Chubb pick a C? What were we supposed to do, pick Rosen?
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Ian Rapoport

Fun to look back at my draft notes from scouts/GMs/coaches on what they were hearing: “Think Raiders are on Kolton Miller.” … “Someone gonna draft Michel early and he’ll kill it in the pass game.” … “All the QB nerds love this Lauletta kid.” … “Think Broncos top guy is Chubb."

We have heard Elway liked Darnold, Barkley, and Chubb. Maybe Chubb was top of the board all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    you may want to clarify that with the whole statement he made:

The only problem with this pick is pretty obvious: The Broncos still need an entire offense, and some incredible offensive weapons are on the board. So let's balance an A-plus player with some D-minus planning in the grade.

He gave Chubb an A+, he just thought the team could use more offensive firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    you may want to clarify that with the whole statement he made:

The only problem with this pick is pretty obvious: The Broncos still need an entire offense, and some incredible offensive weapons are on the board. So let's balance an A-plus player with some D-minus planning in the grade.

He gave Chubb an A+, he just thought the team could use more offensive firepower.
    In this Draft? Two RBs, two RBs and a TE. Sutton and Freeman are legit and we expect Butt to make a big contribution. D- planning?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus