Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Job well done

Job well done

Its easy for people to criticize and bash and call for Elways job because of past draft choices. It is good to acknowledge someone for a job well done also. So here is my pat on the back to the Bronco front office for a job well done ! Ive got a good feeling about the direction we are headed . Thank you for hitting this draft out of the park . I know a big part is Kubiak . Bronco country football is right around the corner . We are taking the AFCW back 👏

You are jumping way out on a limb far too early IMO. For example Courtland doesn't have the same speed as DT and is not coming into the NFL with a polished route three. Some guys can get their with their routes and adding tools to their toolbox but others cannot. We will see which he is.

Chubb was the guy I wanted in the draft but even I have to admit even a top tier talent like Chubb may not live up to his potential or draft status. I will say though that he is entering I to the NFL with A LOT more polish than many rushers do typically.

I can go on and point out items and issues with many of our other picks as well. The fact remains that while generally speaking it looks like we did OK in the draft i still think we could have done better. As an example i would have preferred we went after I.Oliver the CB from CU with our second. I also think that we loaded up on WRs later in the draft when this is a generally weak class...so again for me I'd have rather traded up and picked fewer guys but picked different guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    You are jumping way out on a limb far too early IMO. For example Courtland doesn't have the same speed as DT and is not coming into the NFL with a polished route three. Some guys can get their with their routes and adding tools to their toolbox but others cannot. We will see which he is.

Chubb was the guy I wanted in the draft but even I have to admit even a top tier talent like Chubb may not live up to his potential or draft status. I will say though that he is entering I to the NFL with A LOT more polish than many rushers do typically.

I can go on and point out items and issues with many of our other picks as well. The fact remains that while generally speaking it looks like we did OK in the draft i still think we could have done better. As an example i would have preferred we went after I.Oliver the CB from CU with our second. I also think that we loaded up on WRs later in the draft when this is a generally weak class...so again for me I'd have rather traded up and picked fewer guys but picked different guys.
    See imo this was a great draft. Denver’s getting some of the highest draft grades by most. While I agree with you that I would have selected some different players at certain picks. I feel that really got some quality players and at least 3 impact/ starters from day one. That is huge for Denver considering how they drafted in the past. While you’re not a fan of Courtland route running, we drafted prob one of the best route running wr and a guy that catches everything in Daesean. This was def a great job drafting by Denver. Hopefully we have the personal to develop them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Its easy for people to criticize and bash and call for Elways job because of past draft choices. It is good to acknowledge someone for a job well done also. So here is my pat on the back to the Bronco front office for a job well done ! Ive got a good feeling about the direction we are headed . Thank you for hitting this draft out of the park . I know a big part is Kubiak . Bronco country football is right around the corner . We are taking the AFCW back ��
    And it's even easier to commend a draft before the players have proven themselves in the NFL. Over the years I've seen people here applaud the picks during and right after the draft but most of the picks didn't pan out in the long term. We just have to wait and see -- at least two or three years for most of these guys before we start issuing awards for this draft.

How would you grade 2015's draft now?

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 23 Shane Ray DE Missouri
    2 59 Ty Sambrailo T Colorado State
    3 92 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio State
    4 133 Max Garcia C Florida
    5 164 Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane
    6 203 Darius Kilgo NT Maryland
    7 250 Trevor Siemian QB Northwestern
    7 251 Taurean Nixon DB Tulane
    7 252 Josh Furman DB Oklahoma State
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

The other issue is developing these players. I hope we have the right people in place now that can do that
    Glen Haven Fire

One thing that's overlooked is it's a lot easier to have a good draft picking at 5 and high in every round than at 25 and late in every round. The last time Elway had a high pick is not coincidently the last time he's credited with a great draft. I like this draft a lot as of today. That's about all one can say about a draft until we see how the next few years play out. It's entirely possible we miss the playoffs the next 2 seasons while Rosen and/or Allen light it up, in which case taking Chubb looks like a mistake. Who knows?

I’m just happy we used all 4 picks in the top 100 on guys that should see the field immediately and contribute. We still are suspect at guard and tight end but we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    And it's even easier to commend a draft before the players have proven themselves in the NFL. Over the years I've seen people here applaud the picks during and right after the draft but most of the picks didn't pan out in the long term. We just have to wait and see -- at least two or three years for most of these guys before we start issuing awards for this draft.

Its true we wont know how they will pan out until they actually play , but i didnt see any reaching for players . The first step to a good draft is making smart decisions . Imo they did just that . Now its up to the coaches to get them prepared , but most of it depends on themselves to put in the effort.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post

I think there is discussion to be had at all times. Ultimately the real value of the draft will be determined over the next few years as we see how these players pan out. That being said, it is certainly fair to evaluate the performance against ratings and personal views going into the draft. I like that we didn't have a lot of significant reaches. My initial view is that we did a good job. There are a lot factors that go into what happens next. Not all of that is the players talent or where they graded coming into the draft. Take Dermarcus Walker for example. He clearly graded out to be a starting DE in a 3-4 or 4-3. We tried to make him something he is not. If he doesn't pan out, was it a bad draft choice or horrible coaching and development? I don't think that means we wasted our 2nd rounder last year or we made a bad pick. I think it would be a sign of terrible coaching and development. Do the Browns draft horribly every year because they can't pick or because they waste the talent? The answer is probably a mixture of both.

As far as DT, I agree he has more speed than Courtland but take a look at the college he came from, the perception of his route running, and familiarity with a pro style offense. These were all significant concerns when he was drafted. Courtland has been a TD machine in college, I hope it translates. I worry about his explosiveness to be a long term WR1 but he was a strong value at #40, IMO of course.

Years ago, after losing the AFC Championship with Jake Plummer, I didn't think we would ever win another Super Bowl. We lost so many before winning back to back Super Bowls, and I just thought it wasn't going to happen again in my Lifetime.
    With that being said, And then JFE comes back to the Broncos (The second coming of JFE), and in a couple years we play in 2 Super Bowls and WIN SB-50!!!!
    I can honestly say JOHN ELWAY is the Greatest thing ever to happen to the Denver Broncos, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Love me some #7

This is the most optimistic I've been about our draft class in a while. I think Elway was motivated to right the ship since we all know his drafting has been shaky at times. Gary's presence also probably helped.

I feel like we didn't waste any picks. Brendan Langley was a pick that really felt like a shot in the dark. We didn't make any of these this year. It's easy to tell we weren't messing around!

F

Ten char

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Its easy for people to criticize and bash and call for Elways job because of past draft choices. It is good to acknowledge someone for a job well done also. So here is my pat on the back to the Bronco front office for a job well done ! Ive got a good feeling about the direction we are headed . Thank you for hitting this draft out of the park . I know a big part is Kubiak . Bronco country football is right around the corner . We are taking the AFCW back ��
    I think this draft was a home run, but I thought several of his drafts were very good as well and then the players took the field. I don't think John does as bad of a job as other do. Its not easy to understand the mental capability of an individual. When these guys come from nothing than all of a sudden get millions of dollars, they change. He has been doing this job for a handful of years now and he's getting better, that's a good thing for Broncos Country

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Just Jeff Heuerman holding out hope, not for much longer though.