Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Job well done

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    And it's even easier to commend a draft before the players have proven themselves in the NFL. Over the years I've seen people here applaud the picks during and right after the draft but most of the picks didn't pan out in the long term. We just have to wait and see -- at least two or three years for most of these guys before we start issuing awards for this draft.

How would you grade 2015's draft now?

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 23 Shane Ray DE Missouri
    2 59 Ty Sambrailo T Colorado State
    3 92 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio State
    4 133 Max Garcia C Florida
    5 164 Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane
    6 203 Darius Kilgo NT Maryland
    7 250 Trevor Siemian QB Northwestern
    7 251 Taurean Nixon DB Tulane
    7 252 Josh Furman DB Oklahoma State
    And the drafting only got worse the next two years after that.
    #swapping

In the off-season we found 6 players in free agency, and drafted 10 players. At least 3 of those are going to be starters by my guess. That's 9 players that are going to be new starters, not including last year's draft class to hopefully start contributing and starting, like Butt. That's a lot of new faces and talent. With that much change, I hope we win much more than 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    In the off-season we found 6 players in free agency, and drafted 10 players. At least 3 of those are going to be starters by my guess. That's 9 players that are going to be new starters, not including last year's draft class to hopefully start contributing and starting, like Butt. That's a lot of new faces and talent. With that much change, I hope we win much more than 5 games.
    Veldheer
    TE...maybe
    Freeman...maybe
    Keenum
    Chubb
    RG

who else?

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Veldheer
    TE...maybe
    Freeman...maybe
    Keenum
    Chubb
    RG

who else?
    King, Brock likely, Cravens and McDonald on rotation for pass plays.

Veldheer
    TE...maybe
    Freeman...maybe
    Keenum
    Chubb
    RG

who else?
    I could be wrong. But, wasn't Green the starting TE last year? So, wouldn't TE have to be a new starter?

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    And the drafting only got worse the next two years after that.
    1.26 QB Paxton Lynch
    2.63 DL Adam Gotsis
    3.98 DB Justin Simmons
    4.136 RB Devontae Booker
    5.144 OL Connor McGovern
    6.176 FB Andy Janovich
    6.219 DB Will Parks
    7.228 P Riley Dixon

1.20 OL Garrett Bolles
    2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker
    3.82 WR Carlos Henderson
    3.101 CB Brendan Langley
    5.145 TE Jake Butt
    5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie
    6.203 RB DeAngelo Henderson
    7.253 QB Chad Kelly

The jury is still out for the 17 draft class, but I would say 15 was worse than 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosk View Post
    1.26 QB Paxton Lynch
    2.63 DL Adam Gotsis
    3.98 DB Justin Simmons
    4.136 RB Devontae Booker
    5.144 OL Connor McGovern
    6.176 FB Andy Janovich
    6.219 DB Will Parks
    7.228 P Riley Dixon

1.20 OL Garrett Bolles
    2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker
    3.82 WR Carlos Henderson
    3.101 CB Brendan Langley
    5.145 TE Jake Butt
    5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie
    6.203 RB DeAngelo Henderson
    7.253 QB Chad Kelly

The jury is still out for the 17 draft class, but I would say 15 was worse than 16.
    However, I will chime in on the 17 draft class and just hope and pray Iím wrong. To say it nicely, when we selected Bolles, I turned off my TV. I hated the pick. To see Ryan Ram, who I preferred at 20, play at a high level his rookie year, only makes this pick worse. We apparently preferred Bollesí mean streak that lead to 8.5 sacks allowed and 12 penalties. Ram played a huge part to that teams new found run game, while allowing 2 sacks and committing 4 penalties.

Walker had a really disappointing year, as I thought he would be playing way more. I hope he takes a huge sophomore leap, hopefully not playing linebacker. Langley looked like he didnít belong on the 53 man roster. One of the worst DBs Iíve seen in a while, I can only think of Calvin Lowry right now.

Carlos Henderson, Butt, and Kelly all missed the year with injuries so hard to put a grade on that. But based on what we did and the potential of these guys, Henderson looks to be in the worse shape. DT, Sanders, Sutton, and Hamilton I think already have a leg up on him. Iím excited about Butt and Kelly and what they can bring to the table. However, it sucks to say that your 5th or 7th round pick might arguably be the best out of the draft class.

McKenzie failed miserably as a return man. Hard to be a return man when you canít hold on to the ball. I also donít think McKenzie makes the squad this year. DeAngelo looked very promising in the preseason, and his limited action in the regular season. Freeman, Booker, and Henderson are locks.

King, Brock likely, Cravens and McDonald on rotation for pass plays.
    Those guys aren't starters...I didn't count the punter....

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    I could be wrong. But, wasn't Green the starting TE last year? So, wouldn't TE have to be a new starter?
    Heuerman may be the new starter and I didn't know if that counted as "new" since the post was about 9 guys being drafted or brought in as FA to be new starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosk View Post
    However, I will chime in on the 17 draft class and just hope and pray I’m wrong. To say it nicely, when we selected Bolles, I turned off my TV. I hated the pick. To see Ryan Ram, who I preferred at 20, play at a high level his rookie year, only makes this pick worse. We apparently preferred Bolles’ mean streak that lead to 8.5 sacks allowed and 12 penalties. Ram played a huge part to that teams new found run game, while allowing 2 sacks and committing 4 penalties.

Walker had a really disappointing year, as I thought he would be playing way more. I hope he takes a huge sophomore leap, hopefully not playing linebacker. Langley looked like he didn’t belong on the 53 man roster. One of the worst DBs I’ve seen in a while, I can only think of Calvin Lowry right now.

Carlos Henderson, Butt, and Kelly all missed the year with injuries so hard to put a grade on that. But based on what we did and the potential of these guys, Henderson looks to be in the worse shape. DT, Sanders, Sutton, and Hamilton I think already have a leg up on him. I’m excited about Butt and Kelly and what they can bring to the table. However, it sucks to say that your 5th or 7th round pick might arguably be the best out of the draft class.

McKenzie failed miserably as a return man. Hard to be a return man when you can’t hold on to the ball. I also don’t think McKenzie makes the squad this year. DeAngelo looked very promising in the preseason, and his limited action in the regular season. Freeman, Booker, and Henderson are locks.
    Players can get better, worse or stay the same. When speaking of rookies who played badly (e.g., Langley and Walker), it's less likely they will get worse. The Bolles pick is water under the bridge and comparing him to Ramczyk is pointless. Ryan had hip surgery 5 January 2017 and didn't participate in the Combine which may have had some bearing on the decision. Bolles has a year of experience and a new offense which may put him in a better position to succeed.

Carlos Henderson was on IR, but he didn't look good in preseason. The addition of Sutton and Hamilton plus the presence of Taylor will make it difficult for him to make the roster unless he has a great TC and preseason.

Denver signed Phillip Lindsay as an UDFA. He is bigger, stronger and just as fast as Isaiah McKenzie and is also a returner. As a RB, Lindsay adds something the other RBs don't have, but McKenzie is one of thirteen WRs trying to make the roster. I agree with you that he is most likely released.

DeMarcus Walker had to play OLB due to early season injuries of Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett. I think he will be back on the D-Line this year and will make a solid contribution in a rotation.

We all look forward to seeing Jake Butt and Chad Kelly on the field.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Those guys aren't starters...I didn't count the punter....
    Why wouldn't Tramaine Brock be the starter? Unless Yiadom beats him in camp he's not getting paid 4 million to sit on the bench for his single year contract. As for certain defensive players they're on rotation for certain packages, hard to say if one player is a true 'starter' with those roles in mind.

Why wouldn't Tramaine Brock be the starter? Unless Yiadom beats him in camp he's not getting paid 4 million to sit on the bench for his single year contract. As for certain defensive players they're on rotation for certain packages, hard to say if one player is a true 'starter' with those roles in mind.
    Depends on the package: base; nickel; big nickel, dime; etc.

Two Corners in base would be Harris and Roby. Three Corners in nickel would probably include Brock. Three Safeties in big nickel would probably have Cravens as the fifth DB. Dime would probably include Brock.

With all these new DBs (Hunter, Smith, Yiadom, Brock, Marshall, Moore, Cravens), we'll just need to wait and see who plays where and who is in which package.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Would you consider Roby a starter last season? If so, then Brock would be as well.

I was just wondering how many in this draft class has a SB ring on their finger?

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    And it's even easier to commend a draft before the players have proven themselves in the NFL. Over the years I've seen people here applaud the picks during and right after the draft but most of the picks didn't pan out in the long term. We just have to wait and see -- at least two or three years for most of these guys before we start issuing awards for this draft.

How would you grade 2015's draft now?

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 23 Shane Ray DE Missouri
    2 59 Ty Sambrailo T Colorado State
    3 92 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio State
    4 133 Max Garcia C Florida
    5 164 Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane
    6 203 Darius Kilgo NT Maryland
    7 250 Trevor Siemian QB Northwestern
    7 251 Taurean Nixon DB Tulane
    7 252 Josh Furman DB Oklahoma State
    Oh sorry. I mean how many in this class has a SB ring?