Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Job well done

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Would you consider Roby a starter last season? If so, then Brock would be as well.
    Yeah. That was what I was inferring, that Elway went out and got a starter with Brock for the slot CB.

One thing I failed to notice during the 3rd day of the draft is that the #160 pick, acquired in the Talib trade, was traded back to the LA Rams. They traded up for Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and gave us two 6th-round picks.

So, the Talib trade turned into two players for the Broncos,OG Sam Jones and LB Keishawn Bierria.

By the way, Okoronkwo was a great pass rusher for Oklahoma. That was a very good pick by the Rams.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    You are jumping way out on a limb far too early IMO. For example Courtland doesn't have the same speed as DT and is not coming into the NFL with a polished route three. Some guys can get their with their routes and adding tools to their toolbox but others cannot. We will see which he is.

Chubb was the guy I wanted in the draft but even I have to admit even a top tier talent like Chubb may not live up to his potential or draft status. I will say though that he is entering I to the NFL with A LOT more polish than many rushers do typically.

I can go on and point out items and issues with many of our other picks as well. The fact remains that while generally speaking it looks like we did OK in the draft i still think we could have done better. As an example i would have preferred we went after I.Oliver the CB from CU with our second. I also think that we loaded up on WRs later in the draft when this is a generally weak class...so again for me I'd have rather traded up and picked fewer guys but picked different guys.
    First, are you suggesting DT had a polished route tree when he came into the league? He's from Georgia Tech where they run, run, run and run some more. Lack of a route tree was the one knock on him coming out.

Second, you wanted Oliver in the second but also wanted us to trade up and draft......who?

Third, you said we "loaded up" on wide receivers later in the draft. We took 1 wide receiver outside of the second round. That's not loading up.

How exactly is the OP way out on a limb and you're analysis is spot on?
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Veldheer
    TE...maybe
    Freeman...maybe
    Keenum
    Chubb
    RG

who else?
    Veldheer, McGovern, BOTH TE's if we use 2, Freeman (probably), Keenum, Chubb, Brock(wouldn't surprise me), Cravens (Maybe), Jewell (By the end of the season), King.

NEW STARTERS, strictly speaking, as a couple of these were already on the Broncos roster.

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    And the drafting only got worse the next two years after that.
    That's not even close to true. Not yet. There are only 2 players left from the 2015 draft class. Ray, who will probably be gone after this year, and Garcia, who can't be gone soon enough (Probably will be jettisoned if Jones shows any flashes at all in training camp).

1.26 QB Paxton Lynch
    2.63 DL Adam Gotsis
    3.98 DB Justin Simmons
    4.136 RB Devontae Booker
    5.144 OL Connor McGovern
    6.176 FB Andy Janovich
    6.219 DB Will Parks
    7.228 P Riley Dixon

1.20 OL Garrett Bolles
    2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker
    3.82 WR Carlos Henderson
    3.101 CB Brendan Langley
    5.145 TE Jake Butt
    5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie
    6.203 RB DeAngelo Henderson
    7.253 QB Chad Kelly

In 2016 we found a starting safety, starting OG, contributing D-lineman, running back and defensive back.

In 2017 we added our starting LT, probable starting TE, contributing D-lineman and multiple players with a chance to show growth in training camp and earn starter or backup spots.

PLEASE don't try to tell me those drafts are worse than 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    That's not even close to true. Not yet. There are only 2 players left from the 2015 draft class. Ray, who will probably be gone after this year, and Garcia, who can't be gone soon enough (Probably will be jettisoned if Jones shows any flashes at all in training camp).

1.26 QB Paxton Lynch
    2.63 DL Adam Gotsis
    3.98 DB Justin Simmons
    4.136 RB Devontae Booker
    5.144 OL Connor McGovern
    6.176 FB Andy Janovich
    6.219 DB Will Parks
    7.228 P Riley Dixon

1.20 OL Garrett Bolles
    2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker
    3.82 WR Carlos Henderson
    3.101 CB Brendan Langley
    5.145 TE Jake Butt
    5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie
    7.253 QB Chad Kelly

In 2016 we found a starting safety, starting OG, contributing D-lineman, running back and defensive back.

In 2017 we added our starting LT, probable starting TE, contributing D-lineman and multiple players with a chance to show growth in training camp and earn starter or backup spots.

Don't forget Jeff Heuerman who was #92 in the 3rd round in 2015. Part of evaluating the 2015 class should probably include the draft picks Denver got for trading Sambrailo and Siemian.

Max Garcia's future as a Bronco may be more in danger from Ron Leary, Connor McGovern, Billy Turner and Jeremiah Poutasi than from Sam Jones.

I agree with you about the 2016 and 2017 Drafts. Fifteen of the sixteen picks are still with the team because Riley Dixon was traded. Most of them are contributors and there may be as many as six or seven starters among them.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

1.26 QB Paxton Lynch
    2.63 DL Adam Gotsis
    3.98 DB Justin Simmons
    4.136 RB Devontae Booker
    5.144 OL Connor McGovern
    6.176 FB Andy Janovich
    6.219 DB Will Parks
    7.228 P Riley Dixon

1.20 OL Garrett Bolles
    2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker
    3.82 WR Carlos Henderson
    3.101 CB Brendan Langley
    5.145 TE Jake Butt
    5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie
    7.253 QB Chad Kelly

They probably won't be worse than that one but i think we need to wait a year to grade/compare 2016's class and two years to grade 2017's class because it's still too soon to know exactly what we got and the jury is still out on many of these players.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

1.26 QB Paxton Lynch
    2.63 DL Adam Gotsis
    3.98 DB Justin Simmons
    4.136 RB Devontae Booker
    5.144 OL Connor McGovern
    6.176 FB Andy Janovich
    6.219 DB Will Parks
    7.228 P Riley Dixon

1.20 OL Garrett Bolles
    2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker
    3.82 WR Carlos Henderson
    3.101 CB Brendan Langley
    5.145 TE Jake Butt
    5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie
    7.253 QB Chad Kelly

And starting FB in Jano in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    One thing I failed to notice during the 3rd day of the draft is that the #160 pick, acquired in the Talib trade, was traded back to the LA Rams. They traded up for Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and gave us two 6th-round picks.

So, the Talib trade turned into two players for the Broncos,OG Sam Jones and LB Keishawn Bierria.

By the way, Okoronkwo was a great pass rusher for Oklahoma. That was a very good pick by the Rams.
    But, we got Aquaman.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Don't forget Jeff Heuerman who was #92 in the 3rd round in 2015. Part of evaluating the 2015 class should probably include the draft picks Denver got for trading Sambrailo and Siemian.

Max Garcia's future as a Bronco may be more in danger from Ron Leary, Connor McGovern, Billy Turner and Jeremiah Poutasi than from Sam Jones.

I agree with you about the 2016 and 2017 Drafts. Fifteen of the sixteen picks are still with the team because Riley Dixon was traded. Most of them are contributors and there may be as many as six or seven starters among them.
    Elway or VJ already announced McGovern as the starting RG right? And the plan I heard was to move back Leary to LG where he is best at. If that's the case, then Garcia has lost his job already?
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Elway or VJ already announced McGovern as the starting RG right? And the plan I heard was to move back Leary to LG where he is best at. If that's the case, then Garcia has lost his job already?
    Sounds like it.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post

Oh yeah, forgot Heuerman. He makes 2015 slightly better, but yeah, 2016 and 2017 are currently much more productive.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Its easy for people to criticize and bash and call for Elways job because of past draft choices. It is good to acknowledge someone for a job well done also. So here is my pat on the back to the Bronco front office for a job well done ! Ive got a good feeling about the direction we are headed . Thank you for hitting this draft out of the park . I know a big part is Kubiak . Bronco country football is right around the corner . We are taking the AFCW back 👏
    Just like people should pump the brakes when being overly negative also be careful of being overly positive.

We do not draft Pro Bowlers and All Pros....we develop and coach Pro Bowlers and All Pros

We had a lot of holes on this team. IMO contracts are going to make even more holes in 2019. It is going to take a couple years to really fix all the holes created.

Do agree we are on a good path to get there tho
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

I really liked this offseason, my only gripe is cutting CJ loose. Booker blows hard and we dont know how the rooks will do. CJ ran for 1,000 yards behind an awful line and zero passing game. I know most dont think hes good but hes the best back weve had since Portis. He would have been great behind this new and hopefully improved line.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I really liked this offseason, my only gripe is cutting CJ loose. Booker blows hard and we don’t know how the rooks will do. CJ ran for 1,000 yards behind an awful line and zero passing game. I know most don’t think he’s good but he’s the best back we’ve had since Portis. He would have been great behind this new and hopefully improved line.
    No way to that. I'd have him as the 5th best back since Portis.