Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Sam Jones - OG

By the way: When I look at the depth chart I know that it's only preseason, and I'm also mentally crossing off both Max Garcia and Menelik Watson as part of future plans.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

The guy couldn't hike the ball cleanly to Kelly
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    he has moved up to 2nd string, he must be improving since then. That was just 2 days into camp, I believe, and I don't think he ever played OC before.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.

CP bet with Freyeka that CJ Anderson is traded during the draft

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Sam Jones came out for the 2018 Draft as a Redshirt Junior. He started out at ASU as a Tackle and moved inside to Guard. I don't believe he played Center at Tempe or at ThunderRidge HS where he played Tackle.

He's learning the Center position which means snapping the ball when the QB is under Center as well as direct snap in gun as well as making calls. Takes time and reps, and practice is where these things get ironed out.

Besides Paradis and Jones, Denver has four other guys who can play Center: Connor McGovern; J.J. Dielman; Austin Schlottman; and, Max Garcia. At the moment, McGovern is first team RG, Dielman is third team LG, Schlottman is third team C and Garcia is second team LG.

The Broncos must think that Jones can handle a position switch as a rookie which speaks well for him. He'll be between Max Garcia and Billy Turner tonight with Cyrus Kouandijo and Andreas Knappe at the Tackle spots on second team. Hope they do well.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    By the way: When I look at the depth chart I know that it's only preseason, and I'm also mentally crossing off both Max Garcia and Menelik Watson as part of future plans.
    Well, big surprise, Menelik Watson won't play tonight because he's hurt already. I think I've seen enough of them that I hope some of the other O-Linemen can step up make a case for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Well, big surprise, Menelik Watson won't play tonight because he's hurt already. I think I've seen enough of them that I hope some of the other O-Linemen can step up make a case for themselves.
    He has become an albatross around the team's neck.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    He has become an albatross around the team's neck.
    I agree. He has simply not been able to remain healthy.

Back on topic, Sam Jones played second team C against the Vikings and did OK except for giving up a sack. He failed to pick up a line stunt which was a Loop by the DE to his right. He took one look after the snap, didn't see anyone and turned to his left to help out. Don't think he even saw the guy who looped into the middle and sacked Paxton.

The other sack was one given up by Andreas Knappe at RT on a simple, outside, upfield move. He stopped moving his feet and just got beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I agree. He has simply not been able to remain healthy.
    Right. Not since he was drafted in 2013. During the past five years, he has been available 35 games and has started 25.