Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Ray Out?

Shane Ray Out?

Just heard on 104.3 that the Broncos are not going to exercise option on Shane Ray. Whoa.

It's still early to speculate, but I think the Broncos are getting closer to having a 4-3 defense in 2019 if Vance Joseph is still around.

Joseph is a disciple of Mike Zimmer, one of the great 4-3 coaches in the league. His defense in Miami was 4-3. Now look at his pieces in Denver.

Moving to a 4-man front would benefit two of of our most important picks recently, Demarcus Walker and Bradley Chubb, who would look natural as 4-3 DEs.

Von Miller can be a SAM linebacker in the 4-3, which was his role during the John Fox years, or he can play weakside DE and focus on rushing the passer like DeMarcus Ware did as a 4-3 DE for the Cowboys in 2013.

Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett will be gone after the season as unrestricted free agents. If Joseph wants to install a 4-man front, we will already have Walker, Chubb and Miller to rotate on the edge, and Elway just drafted two off-the-ball linebackers, Josey Jewell and Keishawn Bierria.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I wonít be surprised if they donít pick it up.

Ray would be due $9 mil, plus Shaq is due for a decent contract, canít keep them both with Vonís contract. Good chance we end up moving on from both Shaq and Ray, money is tight.
    It would've been nice to trade Ray during the draft and come out with a decent Oline piece.

The sooner that Chief loving guy, and his horrible Chief Tatoo is outta here the better.
    (JMO)

What are the chances with Ray and Shaq stay and take a hometown discount?

Shane Ray has 13 Sacks in 3 years. AND he is coming off 3 surgeries on the wrist he injured last summer. I can't help but wonder where he is with his ability to do upper body work with that damaged wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    What are the chances with Ray and Shaq stay and take a hometown discount?
    The same chances of Paxton Lynch becoming a franchise quarterback.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Look for Shane Rays name to be on the trading block near the trading deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Look for Shane Rays name to be on the trading block near the trading deadline.
    Yup, too many mouths to feed....send him off to the Jets, they have money to burn

Another draft bust.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Another draft bust.
    I don't know if I'd consider him a bust, he was starting to pick it up with 8 sacks the year before. Had he not been injured it's difficult to say whether he would of continued the upward trend or not

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I don't know if I'd consider him a bust, he was starting to pick it up with 8 sacks the year before. Had he not been injured it's difficult to say whether he would of continued the upward trend or not
    I'd say he's been an underachiever, but not for his own lack of effort. He was drafted by a team that already had Miller and Ware as the starters. In 2016, Ware started 8 games, Ray started 8 games and was quite productive with 48 tackles and 8.0 sacks. 2017 was supposed to be his breakout season as a starter, but a torn ligament in his wrist limited him to 8 games, playing with a cast in his left hand.

If Shane Ray can have a healthy season, I expect him to reach those 8.0 sacks again, and then he might be worth those $9.2 million and could at least be a trade target in 2019. Just for comparison, Bruce Irvin is making $8 million this year, based on a contract signed in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I'd say he's been an underachiever, but not for his own lack of effort. He was drafted by a team that already had Miller and Ware as the starters. In 2016, Ware started 8 games, Ray started 8 games and was quite productive with 48 tackles and 8.0 sacks. 2017 was supposed to be his breakout season as a starter, but a torn ligament in his wrist limited him to 8 games, playing with a cast in his left hand.

If Shane Ray can have a healthy season, I expect him to reach those 8.0 sacks again, and then he might be worth those $9.2 million and could at least be a trade target in 2019. Just for comparison, Bruce Irvin is making $8 million this year, based on a contract signed in 2016.
    Broncos have 2 days to pick up his option. If they don't, Ray will be a FA in 2019 and unable to be traded unless it is before the trade deadline during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    It's still early to speculate, but I think the Broncos are getting closer to having a 4-3 defense in 2019 if Vance Joseph is still around.

Joseph is a disciple of Mike Zimmer, one of the great 4-3 coaches in the league. His defense in Miami was 4-3. Now look at his pieces in Denver.

Moving to a 4-man front would benefit two of of our most important picks recently, Demarcus Walker and Bradley Chubb, who would look natural as 4-3 DEs.

Von Miller can be a SAM linebacker in the 4-3, which was his role during the John Fox years, or he can play weakside DE and focus on rushing the passer like DeMarcus Ware did as a 4-3 DE for the Cowboys in 2013.

Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett will be gone after the season as unrestricted free agents. If Joseph wants to install a 4-man front, we will already have Walker, Chubb and Miller to rotate on the edge, and Elway just drafted two off-the-ball linebackers, Josey Jewell and Keishawn Bierria.
    Von Miller at Sam in a 1 gap 4-3 would be a waste, he'd be covering TEs too much. If they did switch to a 4-3 (which I think they should) I'd line him up at weak side end (your other suggestion) because it lets him keep doing exactly what he's been doing.

They should pick it up, they can always walk away from it if they change their mind. And teams are always looking for pass rush, so you could deal him later if he's no longer needed.