Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    You have your opinion and I have mine.

Free agent lock is a handicap in my view. People agree to use the handicap for various reasons ... work schedule and restricted work environment in your example...but it is a handicap.

Trying to imply it is a skill thing is incorrect in my opinion
    But implying level footing is a handicap isn't incorrect?

The way I see it waiver wire is level fighting no one is given an advantage bad teams get first dib at one player which they have to choose wisely or risk another move. This also keeps a league more competitive because bad teamsget that first dib.

FFA is asking for an advantage which like I said rewards people with time. So you could have one player who has faster internet get a player first because of internet speeds. That isn't a level playing field and requires no skill.

So if you want to call the waiver wire a handicap than you have to say you are asking for an advantage when you want FFA.

like I said at the beginning of you want to remove all advantages you go to a bidding format.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

My 2 cents worth is I prefer traditional. A free 4 all sounds cool and Iím intrigued, so if it goes that way Iím not gonna cry about it, but I can see how this is a disadvantage for those whose Sundays are not spent watching games all day. And with my schedule, that is a thing of the past for me. And I want to stay involved, so traditional is my vote.

As someone who often plays in both "free for all" and locked at game time leagues I have a very different opinion.

With cell phones being used for fantasy football now a days the time thing is not near as big as it was years ago. Twice I have been forced to draft my Bronco forum team from work. That has never stopped me. Cell phones can be used to pick up players from any where. Information about players is easily available on mobile devices now a days.

I disagree with your opinion on the skill part.

If people can wait until Tue or Wed to pick players up then people can go over all the many "expert" articles on who to pick up instead of using their own skill and knowledge. By Tue there are over a dozen free articles available about hot starting pick ups as well as deep pick ups for future starters. Some websites have a list for each position (QB, RB, WR, TE, DEF and possibly a PPR list). This is not even including some of the searchable stat databases which are not updated until Monday and Tuesday.

Picking up players on Sunday means a manager has to rely on their own knowledge and their own skill instead of work done by other people.

EM and I played 2 or 3 seasons under the free for all format. Yes players disappear during games, specially players involved in Bronco games, but in the years we have played under this setting most players are taken until Sunday night and Monday.

Locking free agents at game time is just a handicap for people who want to rely on "experts" on who to pick up in my opinion.

I prefer managers using their own knowledge and their own skill...with the help of cell phones if need be.
    I get what you're saying. It always sucks to target a player, and then see an article on the league page telling people to pick up that player, but most of the time it's just that obvious. Honestly, the best pick ups I make in FF come from signing an obscure player weeks in advance. I feel like if I wait to sign a player until it becomes obvious, that's on me. The exception here is back up running backs after an injury or mid-game benching, but I think the waiver wire creates competitive balance in that regard. Also, if I don't handcuff my running backs, or sign the backup to a guy who is likely to get injured or benched, that's kind of on me too. Great example last season, when I lost Dalvin Cook. I didn't handcuff Cook, and that was 100% on me. If we were in a free for all, I could've just snagged Latavius or Jerick immediately, but did I deserve it? I don't think I did. So I ended up signing Dion Lewis who was couple weeks away from blowing up. That took some effort on my part, instead of just trying to be the first guy to Cook's backups.

But yeah, if you're monitoring a player, and he starts to go off during a game, the free for all gives you a chance to be first without being at the mercy of the waiver wire.

I'm a little confused on the free for all meaning. Once games are started players are locked right? So free for really isn't at any point get the player you want, you still have to wait until games are finished. If a player gets hurt during a game you can't and shouldn't be allowed to make substitutions.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I'm a little confused on the free for all meaning. Once games are started players are locked right? So free for really isn't at any point get the player you want, you still have to wait until games are finished. If a player gets hurt during a game you can't and shouldn't be allowed to make substitutions.
    I can change the setting to make all fee agent players be able to be picked up anytime, even during a game. Then the only time waivers would happen would be with recently cut players. That’s what we mean about free for all. For me, it’s the style I always played. Having time to watch games Sunday is a major advantage, I’ll admit.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I can change the setting to make all fee agent players be able to be picked up anytime, even during a game. Then the only time waivers would happen would be with recently cut players. Thatís what we mean about free for all. For me, itís the style I always played. Having time to watch games Sunday is a major advantage, Iíll admit.
    Well if that's the case then I'm against free for all, player swapping during games shouldn't be allowed....imho

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I get what you're saying. It always sucks to target a player, and then see an article on the league page telling people to pick up that player, but most of the time it's just that obvious. Honestly, the best pick ups I make in FF come from signing an obscure player weeks in advance. I feel like if I wait to sign a player until it becomes obvious, that's on me. The exception here is back up running backs after an injury or mid-game benching, but I think the waiver wire creates competitive balance in that regard. Also, if I don't handcuff my running backs, or sign the backup to a guy who is likely to get injured or benched, that's kind of on me too. Great example last season, when I lost Dalvin Cook. I didn't handcuff Cook, and that was 100% on me. If we were in a free for all, I could've just snagged Latavius or Jerick immediately, but did I deserve it? I don't think I did. So I ended up signing Dion Lewis who was couple weeks away from blowing up. That took some effort on my part, instead of just trying to be the first guy to Cook's backups.

But yeah, if you're monitoring a player, and he starts to go off during a game, the free for all gives you a chance to be first without being at the mercy of the waiver wire.
    I think "mercy" is a very good word to use for it. IMO it is like comparing a Real Time Strategy game versus a similar Turn Based strategy game.

I usually do not target players like you mention for my own reason. It leads me to make bad decisions based on how my mental makeup is.

Each week is a new week. I am aware of players strengths, teams strengths and my team needs but besides that I try not to target any particular player.

Personally I would suggest if anyone is targeting a player that they just go ahead and pick them up. With our settings it is not hard to stash a couple players away. After the bye weeks you will see people stash 4 or 5 players just to keep them off other teams.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Iíve never played in a FFA league, sounds fun Iím voting for that option

I'm against the free for all, even though it is an option that would benefit me more than traditional. It hurts those that aren't available to get up to date information at all times of the day. Free for all doesn't reward those with skill, it rewards those with more free time.

The best free agency method is a budget, and although I have no experience with one, that would be my preference.

Being as that doesn't seem to be an option right now, my vote is for traditional.
    2017 Adopt-A-Bronco is Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    I'm against the free for all, even though it is an option that would benefit me more than traditional. It hurts those that aren't available to get up to date information at all times of the day. Free for all doesn't reward those with skill, it rewards those with more free time.

The best free agency method is a budget, and although I have no experience with one, that would be my preference.

Being as that doesn't seem to be an option right now, my vote is for traditional.

I would be i trigued by that. But have zero experience with it. So i would mess the settings up for certain. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post

I do not like the concept of budget for player pick ups or limited number of pick ups with no tie to another resource.

I do like the concept of a team having a "salary cap" and each player having a value. The blind dollar bidding for available players with the salary cap is probably one of my favorite player pick up settings.

Another cool setting which I think would work well for Bronco Fantasy Leagues ( think Div I may use it) is keepers. It is tough on a new manager who has to choose keepers from the "losing" team the year before but it is a really neat setting for leagues with a minimal turnover. It is one of the few league types that gives incentive for keeping a player on IR on the roster.

btw not suggesting a implementation this year. Something like this would probably need a discussion to start weeks ago. Just discussing interesting setting options.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-27-2018 at 08:20 PM.

I do not like the concept of budget for player pick ups or limited number of pick ups with no tie to another resource.

I do like the concept of a team having a "salary cap" and each player having a value. The blind dollar bidding for available players with the salary cap is probably one of my favorite player pick up settings.

Another cool setting which I think would work well for Bronco Fantasy Leagues ( think Div I may use it) is keepers. It is tough on a new manager who has to choose keepers from the "losing" team the year before but it is a really neat setting for leagues with a minimal turnover. It is one of the few league types that gives incentive for keeping a player on IR on the roster.

btw not suggesting a implementation this year. Something like this would probably need a discussion to start weeks ago. Just discussing interesting setting options.
    I absolutely love keeper leagues... if we had time... I would suggest we have a vote on that... it would be a “ going forward” thing to be fair.

Yes Div 1keeps one player. In a league I ran you kept on of each a qb, rb, and a wr(te)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I absolutely love keeper leagues... if we had time... I would suggest we have a vote on that... it would be a “ going forward” thing to be fair.

Yes Div 1keeps one player. In a league I ran you kept on of each a qb, rb, and a wr(te)
    Well my comment about not implementing this year was out of respect for the amount of effort it would require from you.

If you willing to make a go at it I am all for trying to do it bro and I would vote yes on Keepers

I'm good for doing a keeper league in the future.

And with the bidding I don't think I've seen a salary cap one done. I've seen the blind bid with a $100 to start the seasonand one you ran out of money you fell into a traditional waiver wire format with all the others who were out of money.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Well my comment about not implementing this year was out of respect for the amount of effort it would require from you.

If you willing to make a go at it I am all for trying to do it bro and I would vote yes on Keepers
    I am very experienced in ip that format... I would be comfortable with that if we all want it.