Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Anybody else here super excited for the World Cup this year?

This year's tournament will be without Italy (for the first time since 1958 ) USA, The Netherlands, Chile and Ghana.

I'm rooting for Spain again and putting all my chips on the table for them to make it to... the semis where they'll lose to eventual champions Germany.

Champion: Germany
    Runner Up: Brazil
    Third Place: Argentina
    4th Place: Spain

I have Brazil losing 2-1 to Germany in the finals. Host country Russia loses to Portugal in the quarter finals. Columbia's James Rodriguez will shine again but lose in heartbreaking fashion. I may have to redo my predictions because I haven't filled out a bracket yet lol but I still have Germany beating Brazil.

Good luck to all your countries!
    Last edited by DevilSpawn; 06-04-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Without Italy or even our neighbours to the south (you guys) in the tournament to watch I have only a passing interest. But it would be nice to see some fresh blood make a run this year. Uruguay has a pretty easy group, but then Spain or Portugal waiting in the round of 16 will be tough. And then likely France in the Quarter finals, that's a real tough path for the first in A or second in B to go through.

You've probably got Spain v Argentina in the Quarters.

As bad as it sounds I think the runners up in group G (England or Belgium) actually have the easier path. You get the winner of group H (weak group) in the round of 16, you'll end up likely with Germany in the Quarters, but it's a pretty easy path to get there. Which makes me wonder if we could see a Belgium v England game where neither team is that eager to win? Because it's the third game for each and both should dispatch Panama and Tunisia pretty easily...I'm skeptical of Tunisia's current 13th in the world ranking.

For my semi finals I'll have France v Brazil and Argentina v Germany

First: Argentina
    Second: France
    Third: Germany
    Fourth: Brazil

None of the new blood I was hoping for, but that's how I think it plays out. Now watch Brazil play Germany in the round of 16 and throw everything off.

I'm insanely disappointed and uninterested at the moment due to USA not qualifying. However when it finally arrives and the first game kicks off I have no doubt my interest will peak and I'll watch some games. But at this point I haven't figured out who I want to root for.

Always love The World Cup! My country is not competitive enough to be involved, but I am disappointed that my country of ancestry - Italy, came up short. But I'll be there when it gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Anybody else here super excited for the World Cup this year?

This year's tournament will be without Italy (for the first time since 1958 ) USA, The Netherlands, Chile and Ghana.

I'm rooting for Spain again and putting all my chips on the table for them to make it to... the semis where they'll lose to eventual champions Germany.

Champion: Germany
    Runner Up: Brazil
    Third Place: Argentina
    4th Place: Spain

I have Brazil losing 2-1 to Germany in the finals. Host country Russia loses to Portugal in the quarter finals. Columbia's James Rodriguez will shine again but lose in heartbreaking fashion. I may have to redo my predictions because I haven't filled out a bracket yet lol but I still have Germany beating Brazil.

Good luck to all your countries!
    Surprised you have Russia making it to the QF's, Iknow they are the host nation but they are terrible, one of the worst teams in the tournament IMO. They are getting slaughtered by their press as the worst team Russia has ever had.

They 'could' qualify with Uruguay as its a bad group, but there is no way they are beating Spain of Portugal in the last 16

Always love the world cup, sad USA is not there to choke but at least there will be less heartache for me

Adopted Bronco 2016 Andy Janovich
    Adopted Bronco 2017 Justin Simmons

You said it in the 2nd. Line.... No Italy , No USA, not much interest here.

Go Iceland!

Not 2018 related but USA won the bid to host the 2026 World Cup. I can't wait!! If USMNT can't qualify on merit then at least we get an auto bid in 2026.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ld-cup-winner/

I don't really care about the WC, but I am a Business Analyst and found this interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Not 2018 related but USA won the bid to host the 2026 World Cup. I can't wait!! If USMNT can't qualify on merit then at least we get an auto bid in 2026.
    Should that not read that The US, Canada and Mexico won the bid, as a group?

FTR, we canucks are very excited about the opportunity to have a role in this great event!!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-13-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Should that not read that The US, Canada and Mexico won the bid, as a group?

FTR, we canucks are very excited about the opportunity to have a role in this great event!!!
    Yes Can Mexico and Canada are hosting 12.5% of the tournament each in the group stage.

Since this is the first 3 country hosting do you know if Canada and Mexico also receive auto bids?

Oh and did you see itíll be the first World Cup to boost from 32 teams to 48?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Yes Can Mexico and Canada are hosting 12.5% of the tournament each in the group stage.

Since this is the first 3 country hosting do you know if Canada and Mexico also receive auto bids?

Oh and did you see it’ll be the first World Cup to boost from 32 teams to 48?
    The belief is since it's the first Cup with the expanded field that all 3 will receive automatic bids. In the new format CONCACAF will get 6 qualification spots for each World Cup, so having a qualifying tournament that still hands out 3 berths seems fair. Especially since 2 of the 3 are pretty much locks (this year aside) to capture 2 of the spots.

As a side note, Spain fired their manager two days before the World Cup was set to begin. And for flimsy reasons (he accepted the managerial position with Real Madrid once the WC was over). Seems like a real weak reason to fire a coach right before the tournament, unless he was completely ignoring his duties with the Spanish national team.

I'm supporting Mo Salah and Sadio Mane the Liverpool forwards, so Egypt and Senegal will be my teams.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Impressive opener by Russia. They have a relatively easy group so I would think the Host nation is well on their way to the quarterfinals.