Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    I only pay attention for my dad. He and I have virtually nothing in common, so I'm watching so that we have something to talk about. I've watched a few games this year and a # in 2010, when I was in the hospital & everyone who came into my room was bored to tears. I think the low scoring is what keeps most Americans from getting into in and playing it
    Sorry about your relationship with your dad. Maybe soccer talk could grow into something more meaningful? Kind of like a first step?

Anyway, I'm off the opinion that Americans don't follow soccer so much isn't because of the lack of scoring, though that may be a reason for some. I believe it's more cultural than anything. We grow up with little league baseball, football, and basketball as primary sports. Broadcast sports are dominated by these three sports as well but mostly due to the interest of fans.

As more and more kids are exposed to and play soccer, I expect we'll see interest along the public grow.

Watching a play develop can be an adrenaline rush!
    Last edited by Rastic; 07-10-2018 at 09:35 PM.

I'm not here to explain why I believe soccer isn't as popular in some places as others. I have my views. But I will say this...soccer is the most popular sport on this planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Sorry about your relationship with your dad. Maybe soccer talk could grow into something more meaningful? Kind of like a first step?

Anyway, I'm off the opinion that Americans don't follow soccer so much isn't because of the lack of scoring, though that may be a reason for some. I believe it's more cultural than anything. We grow up with little league baseball, football, and basketball as primary sports. Broadcast sorts are dominated by these three sorts as well but mostly due to the interest of fans.

As more and more kids are exposed to and play soccer, I expect we'll see interest along the public grow.

Yup I remember as kid that was what I did. And I remember high school our football coach didn't like our soccer team because they would ruin the practice football field. Topp they played on the practice football field to not ruinthe actual football field.

Which that mind set combined with how it wasn't big around hereis why I never followed it. Now my son plays it and I can't find a leaguethat is competitive enoughfor him that will also teach him. The league we finally got him in is competitive but coaching is volunteer based and he didn'tget a very good coach that really taught a whole lot. But my son had fun outside some situations and we try to get him in camps and I watch YouTube videos to try to teach him some things. But not growing up with it or watching it makes it hard. Closes I have to bring able to teach him its my great kickball skills lol

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I call it fantastic stops by the goalie....
    This right here is the thing that needs to be pointed it, as it's the most overlooked thing when people talk about soccer and its excitement. A lot of games, especially high profile games, end up being close because you have high quality keepers on each end. If these are the best in the world, then a low scoring or no scoring effect should be expected more than anything else.

The job of the guys and gals in net is one of the most overlooked things in all of sports not just soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post

Anyway, I'm off the opinion that Americans don't follow soccer so much isn't because of the lack of scoring, though that may be a reason for some. I believe it's more cultural than anything. We grow up with little league baseball, football, and basketball as primary sports. Broadcast sports are dominated by these three sports as well but mostly due to the interest of fans.

Soccer is actually the most played youth sport in America for all ages prior to high school age. Or at least was when i read an article on it in the 2014 World Cup. Said for whatever reason its considered unpopular in high school because football is so big and there is a ton of peer pressure to play football instead of soccer.

But they said far and away soccer is the most played prior to 8-9th grade. For kids like my 5 year old the easiest sport to teach is just say run around with other kids and kick a ball.

Soccer is actually the most played youth sport in America for all ages prior to high school age. Or at least was when i read an article on it in the 2014 World Cup. Said for whatever reason it’s considered unpopular in high school because football is so big and there is a ton of peer pressure to play football instead of soccer.

But they said far and away soccer is the most played prior to 8-9th grade. For kids like my 5 year old the easiest sport to teach is just say run around with other kids and kick a ball.
    Yup i remember watching a swarm of kids chase a ball Including some kids probably playing tag at that young age lol

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    Yup i remember watching a swarm of kids chase a ball Including some kids probably playing tag at that young age lol
    Lol yeah it definitely doesn't resemble anything close to actual soccer but they have fun. We did something called soccer shots when our oldest was 3 but he hated it because it was mostly drills with very little actual play. We're attempting it again this year starting next month so fingers crossed that he's matured a little between 3 and 5. If anything I think he'll at least have a blast chasing kids as long as he doesn't throw tantrums about someone taking the ball from him. Our youngest just picks the ball up.

Lol yeah it definitely doesn't resemble anything close to actual soccer but they have fun. We did something called soccer shots when our oldest was 3 but he hated it because it was mostly drills with very little actual play. We're attempting it again this year starting next month so fingers crossed that he's matured a little between 3 and 5. If anything I think he'll at least have a blast chasing kids as long as he doesn't throw tantrums about someone taking the ball from him. Our youngest just picks the ball up.
    Most of the ones we had my son in usually attempts to play against each other. But now the one we have him in a 10u league now but I wished they did more drills. Half the practice is a scrimmage. O well he has fun and they at least attempt actual soccer lol.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Soccer is actually the most played youth sport in America for all ages prior to high school age. Or at least was when i read an article on it in the 2014 World Cup. Said for whatever reason it’s considered unpopular in high school because football is so big and there is a ton of peer pressure to play football instead of soccer.

My understanding is that baseball is most played by youth up to about eight years old where basketball increases by a large margin. Baseball decreases and becomes slightly ahead or equal to soccer which stays in a steady third place. That's the most comprehensive data I could find for ages 6-17 as of 2013

I saw some other stats from 2017 which say soccer leaped baseball for the number two spot. That's both surprising and non-surprising to me mostly because I haven't really followed youth sports, baseball specifically, since I was young and had not realized how much in decline it is relative to other sports. At the same time not surprising because in the past 30+ years soccer has slowly trended up steadily.

Edit: so the last link is based on this study which is based on this article based on data from 2009-2014. They really parse the data and as far as categories, to me at least, it is a little misleading where baseball is. They have baseball, softball (fast pitch), and softball (slow pitch) - all three separate sports, but I think they all could easily reside in generic "baseball" category as the game is virtually the same in all the important areas. That would kick baseball back up to number two and leave soccer in third in the US by participation.

What the stats cannot show is the impact that soccer has had in this time period though. Rarely, if ever, could you catch a soccer match on TV. Now that isn't difficult. Professional soccer jerseys for sale in sports stores are everywhere. And, as you mentioned, soccer is a common sport to many children today and is steadily growing. Some will grow up with a great love for the game and want follow and share it with their kids.

I really want to see a France vs. England final.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    This right here is the thing that needs to be pointed it, as it's the most overlooked thing when people talk about soccer and its excitement. A lot of games, especially high profile games, end up being close because you have high quality keepers on each end. If these are the best in the world, then a low scoring or no scoring effect should be expected more than anything else.

The job of the guys and gals in net is one of the most overlooked things in all of sports not just soccer.
    I would never be a soccer goalie. That net is so big, that you feel pretty naked out there. The good ones are incredibly gifted athletes.

Soccer is the perfect youth sport. If you have a field, all you really need is a ball. Heck, when we were young, we even used nets that someone made for us. (not the best, but they worked fine). So yah, low, low cost, loads of running, and an opportunity to learn to use your skills, and develop them.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I would never be a soccer goalie. That net is so big, that you feel pretty naked out there. The good ones are incredibly gifted athletes.
    The tv doesn't do justice for exactly how big the goals are. I remember when I played I felt like one on one with a goalie you should never get stopped from scoring a goal. Just goes to show you the talent level of the defenses and goalies that over 90 minutes they can often times keep both teams from scoring at all. But when you look at the goal on the field you feel like games should be 10-8. It really does take a super athletic goalie to stop many of these shots.

The tv doesn't do justice for exactly how big the goals are. I remember when I played I felt like one on one with a goalie you should never get stopped from scoring a goal. Just goes to show you the talent level of the defenses and goalies that over 90 minutes they can often times keep both teams from scoring at all. But when you look at the goal on the field you feel like games should be 10-8. It really does take a super athletic goalie to stop many of these shots.
    This is goalie related.....because they are so active in shootouts, I find it risky but so cool to see a kicker shoot the ball straight at the middle of the net, especially in a huge event like The World Cup. I have a feeling it goes in a high % of the time, but must still feel weird just prior to kicking it. Odds are the goalie has to make a quick choice, left or right. Staying in the middle is not usually a recipe for success in net.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    This is goalie related.....because they are so active in shootouts, I find it risky but so cool to see a kicker shoot the ball straight at the middle of the net, especially in a huge event like The World Cup. I have a feeling it goes in a high % of the time, but must still feel weird just prior to kicking it. Odds are the goalie has to make a quick choice, left or right. Staying in the middle is not usually a recipe for success in net.
    I've always been told the highest % shot for a kicker is the top corner post. Sure it's risky because you could hit the post or sail over but most people I've heard say it's the most likely unstoppable shot for a goalie to deflect. Too far of a leap and if the kicker hits it with enough power it will travel too fast. The only way a goalie would be able to block it is if they dove early and the kicker didn't adjust mid kick.

Up the middle is extremely unexpected sure. But I don't think it's as high of a % as you think. In fact I forget which shootout it was this World cup. But one of them had two kickers both kick mostly up the middle and the goalies had dove but kept their legs stretched out behind them as they dove left or right. And both were able to deflect a shot up the middle with their shins by doing so. Granted that's two shots out of a large historical sample size. But I've always been taught best not to test a goalie by going for the middle of the net.