Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Admire Those Who Stay Strong...Even When In a Minority

Bare with me....I am trying to tie together several thoughts. Hopefully it will make some sense.

Have you ever stayed true to a position, when the majority went the other way, and eventually learned that you were in fact, correct? Not easy. Why? Mainly because we like to be on the popular side of the ledger, plus not everyone is strong enough to handle significant amounts of negative feedback. But if you have been in this place, did you ever feel great about it, given the majority appeared not to agree? Sure, when the dust settled, you probably took some solace at least, given you stayed the course when so many others jumped ship. Truth is, many will forget that you were standing firm, in spite of the negative feedback you may have received. Also, many will suddenly change their stance, forgetting the path they took when it was popular. Take heart.....you have integrity.

And what about all those great painters and other artists who lived a very common life, and were never really recognized for their talent, and creative genius....until after their passing. So when we mention their names, almost everyone knows of whom we speak, and how great they were, but most of this was never shared with the person themselves. Hopefully, (if one so believes in an afterlife), they are being recognized after their passing. Otherwise it makes me wonder what was the point....was it only for us and never them?? But they too stood tall, and never gave up on their beliefs. They carried on when it was not popular to do so. And no doubt, they likely experienced a load of negativity for what they produced. They too were in the minority I suppose, because the masses did not quite get what they were creating.

To be in the minority but holding firm. Such a noble stand in life. Going full bore with "the heart" or "the gut" or whatever body part you wish to stay true to. With so much at stake at times. Those are the people that make this world a little more exciting, and honest, and relevant. For me anyway.

I do not love being in the minority. In fact, growing up I was pretty much one who believed in popularity above most other aspirations. But I changed in some ways. Still like being liked, no doubt. But as I grow older, I increasingly understand the merit of substance. Or maybe a kinder way to express myself....I believe in certain truths, but I like to work things out with others.....and hopefully share a laugh along the way.

If I may...stay true to what is worthy of staying true to. Do not shy from negativity that is based on ignorance rather than fact. Expect nothing along the way, because it may not be clear for a long, long time. But try to imagine the stellar nature of those great artists, and others who never receive the recognition they deserve, but stay focused on the road ahead. So admirable. So relevant. So special.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Bare with me....I am trying to tie together several thoughts. Hopefully it will make some sense.

Have you ever stayed true to a position, when the majority went the other way, and eventually learned that you were in fact, correct? Not easy. Why? Mainly because we like to be on the popular side of the ledger, plus not everyone is strong enough to handle significant amounts of negative feedback. But if you have been in this place, did you ever feel great about it, given the majority appeared not to agree? Sure, when the dust settled, you probably took some solace at least, given you stayed the course when so many others jumped ship. Truth is, many will forget that you were standing firm, in spite of the negative feedback you may have received. Also, many will suddenly change their stance, forgetting the path they took when it was popular. Take heart.....you have integrity.

And what about all those great painters and other artists who lived a very common life, and were never really recognized for their talent, and creative genius....until after their passing. So when we mention their names, almost everyone knows of whom we speak, and how great they were, but most of this was never shared with the person themselves. Hopefully, (if one so believes in an afterlife), they are being recognized after their passing. Otherwise it makes me wonder what was the point....was it only for us and never them?? But they too stood tall, and never gave up on their beliefs. They carried on when it was not popular to do so. And no doubt, they likely experienced a load of negativity for what they produced. They too were in the minority I suppose, because the masses did not quite get what they were creating.

To be in the minority but holding firm. Such a noble stand in life. Going full bore with "the heart" or "the gut" or whatever body part you wish to stay true to. With so much at stake at times. Those are the people that make this world a little more exciting, and honest, and relevant. For me anyway.

I do not love being in the minority. In fact, growing up I was pretty much one who believed in popularity above most other aspirations. But I changed in some ways. Still like being liked, no doubt. But as I grow older, I increasingly understand the merit of substance. Or maybe a kinder way to express myself....I believe in certain truths, but I like to work things out with others.....and hopefully share a laugh along the way.

If I may...stay true to what is worthy of staying true to. Do not shy from negativity that is based on ignorance rather than fact. Expect nothing along the way, because it may not be clear for a long, long time. But try to imagine the stellar nature of those great artists, and others who never receive the recognition they deserve, but stay focused on the road ahead. So admirable. So relevant. So special.
    Heck yeah. I LOVE being in a minority and arguing my position, especially when I know that I'm right It makes it so much sweeter when people come back to me, look me in the eye, lower their voice, and say "You were right". I LIVE for this! So sue me, I'm petty
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Hey D!

I'm all for logic and reason, whatever its origin. Whether espoused by a street corner hobo, or a head of state...stick to your convictions!

On a related note, most great scientific discoveries flew in the face of conventional understanding. Thankfully, enough folks chose to listen.

I Luv NY!!!

Finally made it to The Big Apple! I was booked to go there in '16 to celebrate a special weekend with my long time best friends, but I had to cancel due to a pretty bad back pain that made walking extremely difficult. Too bad, because I was good to go about 3 weeks later. Had a Giants game booked as well as a Rangers/Jets hockey game, along with all the other great sites!

So my wife (who had been there with our kids), said we'd go when the time was right. This past week was right!

Now it did not start so well. We flew toToronto first, to visit the kids, and then I made a bad decision....taking a train to NY. Sometimes trains are relaxing and interesting, but not this one. You see, this train had a power problem, and at one point, we travelled over 2 hours minus A/C, and it was getting very, very warm. In total, we had 3 delays, due to the power problem and an issue at The Welland Canal. So a 13 hour trip turned into a 16 hour trip, with discomfort at times. And unfortunately we missed out on any good NY scenery as we arrived in the dark. I digress.

Though we hit the sack after 2 am, we did get up early enough to start touring. The usual amazing buildings and commentary (on the hop on hop off), the 9/11 site and museum, and the ferry to The Status of Liberty. We walked back towards our hotel, only to stop at the recommended "Shake Shack" for supper. Loved my shake and burger! And then quick change, and off to the theater to see a Canadian show - "Come From Away"....a fantastic musical about the rerouting of close to 40 planes to the tiny town of Gander, Newfoundland (Canada), when the 9/11 tragedy implemented air space security procedures. The town went from 9,000 residents to 16,000, as these wonderful eastern coast folks took good care of their unexpected visitors. The story is beautiful, and the result of it all is lasting friendships, scholarships and more. All in all it is a fun, uplifting, sweet tale of what can come when folks care for one another, at the most uncertain of times.

To recap, day one was amazing!!!

In the next few days we enjoyed much more of NYC, including Central Park, a Yankees game (as I explained to my wife how good Aaron Judge will be, he hit a HR at his first at bat!), some deli food, and so much more, including a late attempt to get into a late night show...….and by luck of the draw we were the 2nd last standby tickets to get into The Seth Myers show. Sure, my wife would have liked Jimmy Fallon, but we knew how fortunate we were to get into any show, and watch it unfold.

And I will never forget eating at the same nice diner, each day for breakfast. It was close to our hotel, and it was quick and good!

If it even mattered, this trip proved otherwise some of the NYC labels in my mind. That hotel rooms are tiny. Ours was just fine. That cab drivers were grouchy. We had 2 nice ones. That, like most big cities, it might feel a bit unsafe. It did not. And that people were not very friendly (albeit, many of them are visitors!), And to this point, I could not have been any more appreciative of the people in general. Sure, a couple were not wonderful but so many of them were helpful and nice. Like the man who went way out of his way to help us figure out the D Train to Yankee Stadium. But there were others as well, who seemed to give a dang.

The fact that the weather was fantastic was also a bonus! We could not have picked a better week to go!

Much luv to NYC.....had a great time!!!

Guess I'm the only one...…..

BTW....we did fly back. Consider this: Train from Toronto to New York - normally about 13 hours (16 hours due to delays); Plane time (in the air) - 1 hour. Yah, I'll reconsider taking a train ever again!

I Make Lists

When I was immersed in my career, I became a religious maker of lists, pretty much every day for many years. Sure, I had all sorts of mechanisms in place to keep me on top of my job, like calendars, automated reminders, project reports, etc. but I also kept daily lists. Sometimes those lists of things to do consisted of a rather longish list of individual items. Many were small and easy to accomplish, but others were tough, time-sensitive and time consuming. As a general rule, I tried to knock off some of the tough ones early in the day, which made things nicer as things rolled along. Except of course....

1) When tough tasks were tougher than I thought.
    2) When new things jumped on the list as the day went along....which happened pretty much every day, and often took priority!

My lists would often include non work related items, whether it be sports activities, voluntary initiatives, family plans or otherwise. Hence the lengthiness. Yah, those were the fullest of days, from morning til night.

But lists keep me organized, and believe me, I need "organized"! And lists also provide clarity for me, when I get a little panicky. In fact, many times if I awoke with job or anything on my mind, my solution was to sit down and logically document what actions I needed to take to uncloud the cloudiness. I could then go back to bed, feeling like the panic had been minimized, knowing that my plan of attack would get me aimed in the right direction.

Lists still serve another purpose for me, in my post career days. They give me meaning and direction, when at times the days can be too lazy and too easy. As I learned many years ago, some stress is good. I believe we are talking positive stress....if that be a term.

So my friends...do you employ lists? If so, on a daily basis or less frequently? Do they help you stay organized and in some form of control? I suspect so, but would enjoy your feedback.

Well....gotta go....I have one item still to check off by the time I hit the sack.

Have you made your first, second, third team depth chart yet?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Have you made your first, second, third team depth chart yet?
    I make all sorts of lists. Lets see: "respond to Sam's post"

Check....

I make lists too, but only in my head

Not that it matters (to all), but I also find that keeping lists and then seeing them checked off, sometimes adds some satisfaction knowing I got things done.....rather than wondering what I was up to.

Getting To Know You

Ever think about how we adapt to life, in our own ways and in the ways that we learn to adjust? Say you own a house. Over time, odds are you will learn that it is a little unique compared to others, and thus, needs different attention. Maybe you have some squeaks or even occasional noises that you become used to. Maybe you have a sump pump that runs more often than others. Maybe your garage is not level with the driveway anymore, so you place something like a slim board at entry, to ease the bump. Maybe your trees need additional maintenance. The list could be very long.

And think of people. Though you may have many good friends, it could be that you treat each one a little different as well. One of your buds might be a bit moody, but you have grown to understand when and maybe why. Another friend might be prone to lateness, but you put up with it because he or she is such a caring person. And perhaps another occasionally exaggerates, but you know he or she pretty much always has very good intentions.

Or more personal, one of your loved ones is like my Mother was, in a care home for many years, (after my Dad had passed), and had lost her way....and visits are not very enjoyable. But you keep visiting, like a good daughter or son, and you learn what makes this person happy, even if is just for a moment.

Or having a baby that does not sleep too well, and keeps you awake for what seems an eternity. But as a good parent, you persevere, and try to meet that child each time as if that moment is the best moment you have ever lived. And if all goes well, within not that long a time, the sleeping will improve, and you may actually find ways to lessen the painful part of the experience, as you learn calming alternatives.

Or maybe you have a lousy boss, but you too have learned how to "manipulate" them at times, by providing them with what they like, perhaps even silly compliments that are not fully deserved. But it often works, and you do not have a good job opportunity at the time. It holds you over until the day comes when either they leave, or you have a better place to go.

For most of us, this is being adaptable. This is learning how to live with and hopefully cope with those situations that are not exactly endearing to you. But you play that game. You adjust, once you have taken the time to assess the issue and the best solution. And if all goes well, over time, you are your own best friend, because you simplify what is not something you prefer to be involved with. You minimize the thought process, and efficiently you deal with what you have discovered. You save valuable time and space for what you really want to be doing.

Getting to know you, whether it be people or even objects, is a wise investment in time and logic. For once you get to know, instead of mumbling about it and letting it derail your better self, you intelligently adapt and adjust. This more trying aspect of life escapes no one, but those who get to know and accept are far better off. They do not dwell on the downside of it, rather they maximize the good things they can control. In a sense, they are controlling the less enjoyable aspects as well.

And yes there's another positive, in my opinion. That you get to know! That you have been given the opportunity to be part of it all. Like having a house. Like having good friends. Like having a dear Mom. Like having a baby. Like having a decent job. I can go on and on.....
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-10-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Thankfully I'm an open book with everyone. Politics, religion, sex, etc. are all open, all you have to do is ask

That's one of my favorite things about meeting new people; getting to know you.

I think back to the early days of friendships and I remember those awkward- "Hey.. having a UFC party, wanna come over?" And the slight nerves in meeting their already established friends and family or whonot.

I especially think about it when starting new romantic relationships. The moments of knowing what to surprise her with from Dutch Bros./etc. Knowing that if you purchased two tickets to a cheap dinner and corny comedian that she'd like it. The intimate details that you never would have guessed when you first started talking... but with familiarity it all becomes second nature and just habits in creating a happy life.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    That's one of my favorite things about meeting new people; getting to know you.

I think back to the early days of friendships and I remember those awkward- "Hey.. having a UFC party, wanna come over?" And the slight nerves in meeting their already established friends and family or whonot.

I especially think about it when starting new romantic relationships. The moments of knowing what to surprise her with from Dutch Bros./etc. Knowing that if you purchased two tickets to a cheap dinner and corny comedian that she'd like it. The intimate details that you never would have guessed when you first started talking... but with familiarity it all becomes second nature and just habits in creating a happy life.
    Yes, the crux of my little story is just that, being lucky enough to get to know...at all. Which leads me to another theme I believe in.....take on new adventure, in whatever form it comes, even if just a small one.

I Want To Be A "Slippery When Wet" Model

I think in my post career days, I could be a good "Slippery When Wet" Model. Take a look at some of the signs:

or

Heck, I think I could do those poses, maybe not for long......maybe with the odd bump along the way. But the job does not require extra good looks, and I wouldn't be too self conscious, given there are no close ups. And I really believe there should be an element of danger pay involved, therefore I could make a few good bucks along the way.

Where do I apply?

And just because I think this could show up here sooner or later, I am not referring to this type.....

Last edited by CanDB; 08-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.