Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 766 to 780 of 854

Thread: The Chubb Hype

  1. #766
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,599
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    You said you weren't sold on him. Maybe I misread what you actually think of him. What did he do well in? Uh, sacks. He had a lot of sacks. Came close to breaking the rookie record. He has power, speed, strength, and a great motor. I noticed all those things about him.
    That's all anyone can say about him and half his sacks were "gimme sacks"

    Second bold is true about nearly every edge rusher.....

  2. #767
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That's all anyone can say about him and half his sacks were "gimme sacks"
    Would you break down the six “gimme sacks”? I’m interested in how each of those plays developed and how he was in position to get the sack.

  3. #768
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    run defense was Chubb's biggest strength coming into the draft. I expected more out of him in that area.
    Still comparing a 5th year pro to a rookie. The o-line is bigger and better in the pros, very few defensive linemen come in playing at the same level right away.

  4. #769
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That's all anyone can say about him and half his sacks were "gimme sacks"

    Second bold is true about nearly every edge rusher.....
    I would say he had as good of a rookie season than any other DE/edge rusher in history. There is a lot to like about Chubb, he may not be as fast off the edge as Von but he has better upper body strength and just as good if not better lower body strength. He will only get better and I for one will enjoy every minute of it.

    I will say though that I still think we should of gone QB or trade back from that spot last year. Chubb will be good for a long time but we could have gotten extra help in the secondary or on the Oline.


    Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

  5. #770
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That's all anyone can say about him and half his sacks were "gimme sacks"

    Second bold is true about nearly every edge rusher.....
    Yes, that's all anyone can say about him. Except you, of course. And no, not almost every edge rusher is a combo of power, speed, and motor.

  6. #771
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Would you break down the six “gimme sacks”? I’m interested in how each of those plays developed and how he was in position to get the sack.
    off the top of my head...

    one was against chargers, I believe. They were running a sweep right and chubb came off the left side unblocked. RB and QB were not on same page and Rivers didn't give the ball. Chubb got him for the sack.

    one was at the beginning of the season, maybe against the Rams? Chubb was being blocked by the LT and the QB ran right by him and Chubb reached out his hand grabbing QB jersy for the sack.

    another one was when a DB, I think it was Darian Stewart, had the QB wrapped up and Chubb came in for the cleanup aND GOT CREDIT FOR THE SACK.

    another was Chubb left unblocked and the QB bootlegged right into him.

    That's all I can think of the top of my head.

  7. #772
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    6,271
    Deny and deflect! Discredit everything!

  8. #773
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,599
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I would say he had as good of a rookie season than any other DE/edge rusher in history. There is a lot to like about Chubb, he may not be as fast off the edge as Von but he has better upper body strength and just as good if not better lower body strength. He will only get better and I for one will enjoy every minute of it.

    I will say though that I still think we should of gone QB or trade back from that spot last year. Chubb will be good for a long time but we could have gotten extra help in the secondary or on the Oline.
    why? the number of sacks? there is a lot more to having a good year than just number of sacks. Darius leonard and Leighton Vander Esch both had much better seasons than Chubb but don't have the sack numbers. They play a differant position than Chubb does but all are LBs. TJ watt had a better season last year than Chubb did this year.

  9. #774
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Deny and deflect! Discredit everything!
    An alternative word to describe what you Posted is "Trolling".

    And if I had been as wrong about Chubb as some have, I think I'd have the humility to admit it.

  10. #775
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,599
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    An alternative word to describe what you Posted is "Trolling".

    And if I had been as wrong about Chubb as some have, I think I'd have the humility to admit it.
    I'll admit when I see it. I haven't seen it yet. Not to what he was hyped up to be anyway, and what many of you believe because of his sack numbers. I don't think he had a bad year, it was kind of meh.. Outside of sack numbers, when did he make any real great plays? When did he stand out in a game? Guys like Vander Esch and Leonard and TJ Watt are doing it on a regular basis and are having much bigger impacts on their team than Chubb.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 12-31-2018 at 08:29 PM.

  11. #776
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    14,137
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    off the top of my head...

    one was against chargers, I believe. They were running a sweep right and chubb came off the left side unblocked. RB and QB were not on same page and Rivers didn't give the ball. Chubb got him for the sack.

    one was at the beginning of the season, maybe against the Rams? Chubb was being blocked by the LT and the QB ran right by him and Chubb reached out his hand grabbing QB jersy for the sack.

    another one was when a DB, I think it was Darian Stewart, had the QB wrapped up and Chubb came in for the cleanup aND GOT CREDIT FOR THE SACK.

    another was Chubb left unblocked and the QB bootlegged right into him.

    That's all I can think of the top of my head.
    So the first one wasn't counted as a sack because rivers never showed any intent to pass so that one is irrelevant.

    Second one is a good play by chubb. I've seen QBs move by players and not get taken down by defenders being blocked. That is in no way a gimme sack if he takes down a qb while being blocked.

    A half sack is always two players taking a qb down. It means he got there fast enough to be involved in the sack. If he wasn't part of it and Stewart said the qb by himself then chubb wouldn't have gotten any credit the fact he did means that either Stewart didn't take the qb down or cub got there at almost the same exact time. Neither situation is a gimme sack because most db blitzes involve DBs getting a free rush and he got the just as fast.

    And a bootleg means he was disciplined and stayed home. I've seen plenty of outside rushers let QBs run free on bootlegs because they don't stay disciplined. That's not a gimme sack either.

    Essentially your gimme sacks are either good players by chubb or something that wasn't a sack.

    Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

  12. #777
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    off the top of my head...

    one was against chargers, I believe. They were running a sweep right and chubb came off the left side unblocked. RB and QB were not on same page and Rivers didn't give the ball. Chubb got him for the sack.

    one was at the beginning of the season, maybe against the Rams? Chubb was being blocked by the LT and the QB ran right by him and Chubb reached out his hand grabbing QB jersy for the sack.

    another one was when a DB, I think it was Darian Stewart, had the QB wrapped up and Chubb came in for the cleanup aND GOT CREDIT FOR THE SACK.

    another was Chubb left unblocked and the QB bootlegged right into him.

    That's all I can think of the top of my head.
    You said half (six) were “gimme sacks” and provided only four examples. We could debate the examples but you didn’t backup your statement with six sacks.

    The sack that counted against the Chargers wasn’t a sweep. Rivers was in shotgun with trips left. Left tackle dropped in pass protection and Chubb sold outside and came back inside. Rivers scrambled left and the tackle tried to hold Chubb. There was nothing “gimme” about that sack. Chubb beat the tackle with a great move.

    Why would the other three examples be gimme sacks when you were off base on the first one?
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 12-31-2018 at 10:13 PM.

  13. #778
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    14,671
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I'll admit when I see it. I haven't seen it yet. Not to what he was hyped up to be anyway, and what many of you believe because of his sack numbers. I don't think he had a bad year, it was kind of meh.. Outside of sack numbers, when did he make any real great plays? When did he stand out in a game? Guys like Vander Esch and Leonard and TJ Watt are doing it on a regular basis and are having much bigger impacts on their team than Chubb.
    Chubb also has around 60 something pressures on the season which is almost 20 more than the next rookie. As a rookie Watt had 7 sacks, 13 hits, 10 TFL; Chubb as a rookie has 12 sacks, 21 hits, 14 TFL. The only area Watt outperformed him was with 7 PDs and 1 INT. Even this season Watt only really had good games where he got a sack (8 of his 16 games). In those 8 games he had 45 of his 68 tackles, all 12 of his TFL, all 6 of his FFs, 17 of his 21 QB hits.

    In other words, aside from Watt forcing 6 fumbles, he and Chubb had pretty much the same season. How is Watt doing it on a regular basis but Chubb isn’t?

  14. #779
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    You said half (six) were “gimme sacks” and provided only four examples. We could debate the examples but you didn’t backup your statement with six sacks.

    The sack that counted against the Chargers wasn’t a sweep. Rivers was in shotgun with trips left. Left tackle dropped in pass protection and Chubb sold outside and came back inside. Rivers scrambled left and the tackle tried to hold Chubb. There was nothing “gimme” about that sack. Chubb beat the tackle with a great move.

    Why would the other three examples be gimme sacks when you were off base on the first one?
    you guys have your opinions. I have mine. If I had the time and resources to go back through every play so I could reference them better I would.

  15. #780
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,599
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Chubb also has around 60 something pressures on the season which is almost 20 more than the next rookie. As a rookie Watt had 7 sacks, 13 hits, 10 TFL; Chubb as a rookie has 12 sacks, 21 hits, 14 TFL. The only area Watt outperformed him was with 7 PDs and 1 INT. Even this season Watt only really had good games where he got a sack (8 of his 16 games). In those 8 games he had 45 of his 68 tackles, all 12 of his TFL, all 6 of his FFs, 17 of his 21 QB hits.

    In other words, aside from Watt forcing 6 fumbles, he and Chubb had pretty much the same season. How is Watt doing it on a regular basis but Chubb isn’t?
    It could just be perception. I watch every game the Broncos play and only maybe half of the steelers games. I see Watt making plays nearly every game. Instinctual plays. filling holes, reading screens, flowing with/to the ball. Those aren't things you see in a stat sheet like TFL. I rarely see plays like that from Chubb but it also may seem like more in Watt since I don't watch every game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •