Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    As far as TO? Part of me thinks that in the long run, he's hurting himself. But, he's doing things on his own terms so he may not ever have regrets.
    I think some people call his antics 'stupidity'. I do.

2000 - During an October contest in Dallas, Owens celebrated scoring a touchdown by running to midfield of Texas Stadium and posing on the star logo of the Cowboys. He later repeated his actions following another TD and was blindsided by the Cowboys' George Teague.
    2001 - After blowing a 19-point lead in Chicago and losing in overtime, the disgruntled receiver accused head coach Steve Mariucci of protecting good friend Dick Jauron, head coach of the Bears
    2002 - In an October contest on Monday Night Football in Seattle, Owens pulled a 'Sharpie' marker out of his sock after catching a TD pass. He then proceeded to autograph the ball and hand it to his financial adviser sitting in an end zone luxury suite rented by Shawn Springs, the CB he had just beaten on the play.
    2002 - After scoring a touchdown in a December contest with the Green Bay Packers, Owens celebrated with a pair of Pom-Poms borrowed from a 49ers cheerleader.
    2003 - Following a bumpy season that included several sideline tirades by Owens, he and the team decided to part ways.
    2004 - Owens’ agent failed to meet a free agency deadline in March, making him ineligible to become a free agent. Because they retained his rights, the 49ers then traded him to the Baltimore Ravens, but Owens refused to report to his new team. He expressed his desire to play in Philadelphia, and filed a grievance, claiming he should be granted free agency. After a series of negotiations, a deal was worked out between the three teams which sent Owens to Philadelphia where he signed a seven-year, $49 million deal against the advice of the players’ union.
    2004 - In an interview with Playboy magazine, Owens hinted that ex-teammate Jeff Garcia was gay, a claim he later recanted.
    2004 - In a November contest with the Baltimore Ravens, after scoring a touchdown, Owens openly mocked Ray Lewis by performing the middle linebacker’s trademark celebration dance.
    2004 - In a Monday Night contest later that month, Owens appeared in a controversial skit to kick off the network’s presentation of the game which resulted in an FCC investigation.

2005 - Owens hired agent Drew Rosenhaus in April and announced he was not happy with his contract. He also tells CNBC that, despite making $7.5 million in 2004, he needs a new contract to “feed his family.”.
    2005 - After hinting that he might hold out of training camp, Owens shows up with a bad attitude, refusing to acknowledge the media or speak to his teammates. After a confrontation with head coach Andy Reid, he was suspended for one week.
    2005 - During an interview with ESPN's Graham Bensinger on November 3, Owens took shots at the Eagles franchise for not publicly recognizing his 100th touchdown catch. During the interview, he stated the Eagles showed a "lack of class". He also suggested the Eagles would be better off with Packers QB Brett Favre instead of Donovan McNabb.
    2005 - On November 4, Owens issued a half-hearted apology through the media, but failed to deliver comments regarding Donovan McNabb, which head coach Andy Reid insisted he include.
    2005 - Owens was suspended November 5 by the Eagles for the club's contest against the Washington Redskins on November 6.
    2005 - On November 7, Owens' suspension was stretched to four games, and head coach Andy Reid added that Owens would not play for the remainder of the season.
    2006 - On March 14, the Eagles cut Owens just one day before he was due a $5 million roster bonus.
    2006 - On July 5, Owens released a tell-all book revealing his side of the story associated with his time in Philadelphia.
    2006 - On July 13, Owens claimed he was misquoted in his autobiography. Owens blamed the use of the word 'heroic" in association with his return for Super Bowl XXXIX on his co-author.
    2006 - On August 3, Owens missed the first of 14 consecutive days of practice because of a hamstring problem despite an MRI two days later revealing no major problems. After returning to practice for several days, Owens claimed he re-aggravated the injury because his coaches pushed him back to the playing field too soon. This time he didn't return to practice until August 29.
    2006 - On August 10, while still out with an injured hamstring, Owens drew attention to himself by wearing the silver and blue uniform of Lance Armstrong's Discovery Channel pro cycling team while riding a stationary bicycle on the sidelines.
    2006 - On September 26, Owens was taken by ambulance to Baylor University Medical Center for what was thought to be a suicide attempt. The following day, Owens denied trying to kill himself, claiming a mixture of pain pills and supplements caused him to be "out of it" when talking to emergency respondents
    2006 - On October 11, Owens had a run-in with receivers coach Todd Haley. After being chastised for showing up late for practice (he later explained he was in the bathroom), Owens and Haley tangled during a meeting later in the day.
    2006 - On December 16, in a victory over the Atlanta Falcons, Owens spit in the face of cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

Owens is behaving childishly, as he always has, simply because he was not honored as quickly as he feels he deserved. While the Hall of Fame voting process has its flaws, and Owens’ NFL career and statistics obviously merit entrance, this is the definition of a frivolous grudge to harbor. He waited three years, not 30.
    Last edited by EddieMac; 07-16-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    2000 - During an October contest in Dallas, Owens celebrated scoring a touchdown by running to midfield of Texas Stadium and posing on the star logo of the Cowboys. He later repeated his actions following another TD and was blindsided by the Cowboys' George Teague.
    2001 - After blowing a 19-point lead in Chicago and losing in overtime, the disgruntled receiver accused head coach Steve Mariucci of protecting good friend Dick Jauron, head coach of the Bears
    2002 - In an October contest on Monday Night Football in Seattle, Owens pulled a 'Sharpie' marker out of his sock after catching a TD pass. He then proceeded to autograph the ball and hand it to his financial adviser sitting in an end zone luxury suite rented by Shawn Springs, the CB he had just beaten on the play.
    2002 - After scoring a touchdown in a December contest with the Green Bay Packers, Owens celebrated with a pair of Pom-Poms borrowed from a 49ers cheerleader.
    2003 - Following a bumpy season that included several sideline tirades by Owens, he and the team decided to part ways.
    2004 - Owens’ agent failed to meet a free agency deadline in March, making him ineligible to become a free agent. Because they retained his rights, the 49ers then traded him to the Baltimore Ravens, but Owens refused to report to his new team. He expressed his desire to play in Philadelphia, and filed a grievance, claiming he should be granted free agency. After a series of negotiations, a deal was worked out between the three teams which sent Owens to Philadelphia where he signed a seven-year, $49 million deal against the advice of the players’ union.
    2004 - In an interview with Playboy magazine, Owens hinted that ex-teammate Jeff Garcia was gay, a claim he later recanted.
    2004 - In a November contest with the Baltimore Ravens, after scoring a touchdown, Owens openly mocked Ray Lewis by performing the middle linebacker’s trademark celebration dance.
    2004 - In a Monday Night contest later that month, Owens appeared in a controversial skit to kick off the network’s presentation of the game which resulted in an FCC investigation.

2005 - Owens hired agent Drew Rosenhaus in April and announced he was not happy with his contract. He also tells CNBC that, despite making $7.5 million in 2004, he needs a new contract to “feed his family.”.
    2005 - After hinting that he might hold out of training camp, Owens shows up with a bad attitude, refusing to acknowledge the media or speak to his teammates. After a confrontation with head coach Andy Reid, he was suspended for one week.
    2005 - During an interview with ESPN's Graham Bensinger on November 3, Owens took shots at the Eagles franchise for not publicly recognizing his 100th touchdown catch. During the interview, he stated the Eagles showed a "lack of class". He also suggested the Eagles would be better off with Packers QB Brett Favre instead of Donovan McNabb.
    2005 - On November 4, Owens issued a half-hearted apology through the media, but failed to deliver comments regarding Donovan McNabb, which head coach Andy Reid insisted he include.
    2005 - Owens was suspended November 5 by the Eagles for the club's contest against the Washington Redskins on November 6.
    2005 - On November 7, Owens' suspension was stretched to four games, and head coach Andy Reid added that Owens would not play for the remainder of the season.
    2006 - On March 14, the Eagles cut Owens just one day before he was due a $5 million roster bonus.
    2006 - On July 5, Owens released a tell-all book revealing his side of the story associated with his time in Philadelphia.
    2006 - On July 13, Owens claimed he was misquoted in his autobiography. Owens blamed the use of the word 'heroic" in association with his return for Super Bowl XXXIX on his co-author.
    2006 - On August 3, Owens missed the first of 14 consecutive days of practice because of a hamstring problem despite an MRI two days later revealing no major problems. After returning to practice for several days, Owens claimed he re-aggravated the injury because his coaches pushed him back to the playing field too soon. This time he didn't return to practice until August 29.
    2006 - On August 10, while still out with an injured hamstring, Owens drew attention to himself by wearing the silver and blue uniform of Lance Armstrong's Discovery Channel pro cycling team while riding a stationary bicycle on the sidelines.
    2006 - On September 26, Owens was taken by ambulance to Baylor University Medical Center for what was thought to be a suicide attempt. The following day, Owens denied trying to kill himself, claiming a mixture of pain pills and supplements caused him to be "out of it" when talking to emergency respondents
    2006 - On October 11, Owens had a run-in with receivers coach Todd Haley. After being chastised for showing up late for practice (he later explained he was in the bathroom), Owens and Haley tangled during a meeting later in the day.
    2006 - On December 16, in a victory over the Atlanta Falcons, Owens spit in the face of cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

Owens is behaving childishly, as he always has, simply because he was not honored as quickly as he feels he deserved. While the Hall of Fame voting process has its flaws, and Owens’ NFL career and statistics obviously merit entrance, this is the definition of a frivolous grudge to harbor. He waited three years, not 30.
    I think we can both agree that there are a fair number of items on that list which even one of the greatest players of all time (#12) can be accused of doing something similar. Arguing with coaches he'll TB even stated that his team doesn't appreciate him in an interview....lol it would be shocking if TB isn't a 1st ballot....

Again I didn't like some of T.O.s approach but once the media latched onto him as being a bad guy....that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I think we can both agree that there are a fair number of items on that list which even one of the greatest players of all time (#12) can be accused of doing something similar. Arguing with coaches he'll TB even stated that his team doesn't appreciate him in an interview....lol it would be shocking if TB isn't a 1st ballot....

Again I didn't like some of T.O.s approach but once the media latched onto him as being a bad guy....that was it.
    Oh ya...not saying this is exclusive to TO ... and TB, and Manning were pretty awefule at times too.. but if you look at the context.. neither ever got traded or suspended for those things...

And some of those “antics” listed were pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Oh ya...not saying this is exclusive to TO ... and TB, and Manning were pretty awefule at times too.. but if you look at the context.. neither ever got traded or suspended for those things...

And some of those “antics” listed were pretty funny.
    Good so you and I do both agree. Here is the question - a big one in my mind. Once TB screams at a teammate on the sideline after a dropped catch or screams at McDaniel's publicly....how is it that there is no narrative and no constant press of Brady being a diva and unprofessional and yet guys like T.O. seemingly get raked over the coals from what appeared to be from day one.

In fact let me use a more specific example to the T.O....let's call it a saga....when McNabb was interviewed (this was before things really heated up between them) he didn't even both mentioning his name in pressers. McNabb as the QB is meant to be the face of the franchise and like it or not the expectation is that as a QB he behaves like a general. My point is that for many instances not just T.O's there are two sides to it.

Ultimately for T.O in spite of all the bad press he has had not illegal drug issues, I have not found an instance where T.O. has been involved in domestic abuse or anything like that and on top of that his play on the football field was not just great it was exceptional. Yet we see guys like Michael Irvin, Cris Carter and others run their mouths and try to sit on a high horse about a decision which T.O has made. I will say that at least Shannon Sharpe while he has been critical he has been somewhat balanced in his critique of Owens.

One more quick thing and this post will end I promise:

1. What the hall is doing right now with T.O. sets a president. So this means that if another living member who is inducted into the hall does not show then they are not to be mentioned or have highlights shown at the ceremony.

2. The Hall of Fame is an entity. Rightly or wrongly I see the voting committee as a direct extension of the HOF. For example the HOF should have a seat at the table as the committee chair and ensure that the Hall's standards are upheld when new policies and procedures are implemented and that they are followed to the letter. This is extremely important. From the outside looking in the Hall looks like they are run like a 3rd rate organization. Where is the structure? Where is the formalization of processes and procedures?

A. If character is to be a major criteria and it to be weighted into the voting process then there needs to be some form of public information about what general types of incidents will be weighted higher than others. The players now deserve that information as do the fans.

B. What are the rules of conduct of those who are on the voting committee? I ask because I think the behaviour of some of these voting committee members (specifically related to the T.O. scenario) is nothing shy of grounds for termination from the committee. A voters personal bias towards a player NEEDS to be checked at the door. In addition a voters personal BIAS has no business being aired out in the media. IMO - in this scenario with T.O. we have seen more than one voter violate one or both of those statements., To me it cheapens the Hall if but for nothing else that it pulls the Hall down a few pegs in prestige.

I personally liked the pom-pom incident. What I didn't care for was Randy Moss pretending to moon the Packer fans. I found that quite distasteful, but then again I grew up with Packer fans. I wouldn't get too upset about this, people are hypocrites. Always have been, always will be

My last comment is, why does anyone care where he gives his speech from? If he feels slighted. (which he should, although not as much as Carter or Tim Brown) then let him speak from wherever he feels comfortable and let him be (granted that they want him there)
    Last edited by HUMCALC; Yesterday at 07:00 AM.
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Good so you and I do both agree. Here is the question - a big one in my mind. Once TB screams at a teammate on the sideline after a dropped catch or screams at McDaniel's publicly....how is it that there is no narrative and no constant press of Brady being a diva and unprofessional and yet guys like T.O. seemingly get raked over the coals from what appeared to be from day one.

In fact let me use a more specific example to the T.O....let's call it a saga....when McNabb was interviewed (this was before things really heated up between them) he didn't even both mentioning his name in pressers. McNabb as the QB is meant to be the face of the franchise and like it or not the expectation is that as a QB he behaves like a general. My point is that for many instances not just T.O's there are two sides to it.

Ultimately for T.O in spite of all the bad press he has had not illegal drug issues, I have not found an instance where T.O. has been involved in domestic abuse or anything like that and on top of that his play on the football field was not just great it was exceptional. Yet we see guys like Michael Irvin, Cris Carter and others run their mouths and try to sit on a high horse about a decision which T.O has made. I will say that at least Shannon Sharpe while he has been critical he has been somewhat balanced in his critique of Owens.

One more quick thing and this post will end I promise:

1. What the hall is doing right now with T.O. sets a president. So this means that if another living member who is inducted into the hall does not show then they are not to be mentioned or have highlights shown at the ceremony.

2. The Hall of Fame is an entity. Rightly or wrongly I see the voting committee as a direct extension of the HOF. For example the HOF should have a seat at the table as the committee chair and ensure that the Hall's standards are upheld when new policies and procedures are implemented and that they are followed to the letter. This is extremely important. From the outside looking in the Hall looks like they are run like a 3rd rate organization. Where is the structure? Where is the formalization of processes and procedures?

A. If character is to be a major criteria and it to be weighted into the voting process then there needs to be some form of public information about what general types of incidents will be weighted higher than others. The players now deserve that information as do the fans.

B. What are the rules of conduct of those who are on the voting committee? I ask because I think the behaviour of some of these voting committee members (specifically related to the T.O. scenario) is nothing shy of grounds for termination from the committee. A voters personal bias towards a player NEEDS to be checked at the door. In addition a voters personal BIAS has no business being aired out in the media. IMO - in this scenario with T.O. we have seen more than one voter violate one or both of those statements., To me it cheapens the Hall if but for nothing else that it pulls the Hall down a few pegs in prestige.
    It’s funny.. all these post about him... and really it’s about his reaction to not being “picked first”

I think that’s what gets me, and capulates the person TO is. He has admitted he would go if he was first ballot....which shows what this is ablout.

Whether his reputation was earned or not... or his behaviour is typical of many players not receiving the same criticism for it... he should accept this honor gracefully, and barring that... the hall should have stepped up, moved forward knowing his speech wouldn’t be a part of the ceremony. Make it less awkward for the other men that are there to be entered in.

And then it’s the end of the TO saga....