Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The CFL and Manziel

I know, not another NFL team, but it is another football team. Johnny Manziel was traded today from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to the Montreal Alouettes. This is noteworthy for two reasons: 1. The Alouettes HC is former Texas A&M head coach Mike Sherman, who coached Manziel in college. 2. Manziel will play in Montreal. If not this week then definitely in the game after. Their QB situation is dire.

So far he's been a good soldier in Hamilton, no reports of him being anything but a good teammate. If he can add to that some strong play on the field, he might be able to get back into the NFL for 2020. He signed a 2 year contract and although the CFL will start allowing players to opt out of their contracts for NFL jobs after year 1, it won't go into effect until contracts signed after Mid-August.

We will see how he plays. Looks like desperation by Montreal..

Also a total party city.... uh oh....
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

I watched some CFL this weekend. It seemed awkward not recognizing the teams or being familiar with any players. What's with the 2-players getting a running head start on offense?
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Good luck Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    I watched some CFL this weekend. It seemed awkward not recognizing the teams or being familiar with any players. What's with the 2-players getting a running head start on offense?
    Just one of the differences between the CFL and NFL. I think it's kinda fun to see.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

It can be any player not on the line of scrimmage. And really even the WRs can move along the LOS, as long as they don't leave it. So the RB's can leave early to set up for pass protection on a quick pass. I'm not a huge fan of the CFL, but I like that Canadian football allows these players to move before the snap.

One of the things you'll see as well as that the goal is to have the slot backs as close to the LOS as possible with a running start at the snap. So defenses will start to key on that to jump the snap. So teams will do a false snap count and the slots will get up to the line stop and go back and they'll reset.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    We will see how he plays. Looks like desperation by Montreal..

Also a total party city.... uh oh....
    I was going to make a similar comment as soon as I heard this. At least in Hamilton the partying is fairly limited to the areas around McMaster University. You also had hess village there as well. That is NOT the case in Montreal. The entire city there is VERY VERY VERY liberal (generally speaking). It is also known as a major party hub. IMO - this will be a big test for him and his road to recovery.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I was going to make a similar comment as soon as I heard this. At least in Hamilton the partying is fairly limited to the areas around McMaster University. You also had hess village there as well. That is NOT the case in Montreal. The entire city there is VERY VERY VERY liberal (generally speaking). It is also known as a major party hub. IMO - this will be a big test for him and his road to recovery.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck.
    Which is why I think this could be his biggest test in getting back to the NFL. If he can play that's one thing, but if he can go to Montreal and stay out of trouble, then it shows he's changed and could be worth giving another shot to.

Would it be fitting at this point to say...

Go Johnny Go!!

This guy is interesting if not anything else, and has somehow managed to keep the story alive. Lets see how he plays in Montreal. He is saying all the right things of late, but none of that matters if he does not perform, or falls backwards in his off the field actions. But it does give The CFL a bit more "excitement".

I am a bigger NFL fan, but I do watch our Bombers. And it's a good way to spend a few hours at the stadium. Loads of good players! Fast paced game. Personally it's great this year that we have 2 local boys making good on the home team.

No....it's not The NFL, but the tradition and the fun of it make for a really good league.

The biggest problem as I see it is that Toronto, the so called center of the canuck universe, does not draw....which basically translates to a city hungry for an NFL franchise. But hold tight....looks like the east coasters (in Halifax) are looking to pursue a franchise.

Looks like Johnny will start at home on Friday against Hamilton. Not sure if folks can catch the game, but it's on TSN here at 6:30 pm Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It can be any player not on the line of scrimmage. And really even the WRs can move along the LOS, as long as they don't leave it. So the RB's can leave early to set up for pass protection on a quick pass. I'm not a huge fan of the CFL, but I like that Canadian football allows these players to move before the snap.

One of the things you'll see as well as that the goal is to have the slot backs as close to the LOS as possible with a running start at the snap. So defenses will start to key on that to jump the snap. So teams will do a false snap count and the slots will get up to the line stop and go back and they'll reset.
    It reminded me of Arena Football on an oversized field. Being use to watching the NFL made some of the game seem unusual-- but I guess it is intended to be that way. I didn't like it more or less, it just was different. I did like the bigger field.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

It reminded me of Arena Football on an oversized field. Being use to watching the NFL made some of the game seem unusual-- but I guess it is intended to be that way. I didn't like it more or less, it just was different. I did like the bigger field.

I have a hard time watching it. The talent just is t there and some things seem a little hokey when compared to the nfl.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

I am actually looking forward to watching this Friday's game. I do not expect him to overwhelm, and I would not be shocked if he struggles a bit. In spite of what some might think, it's a darn good league, with plenty of talented players.

And here's the thing.....if he proves himself in this league, and keeps his head together, there is still an opportunity for him to make it back to The NFL. Maybe not as a starter, but a backup would not be a bad career. As we often say, there are only 32 men that begin each year as the NFL "starter".

Hey, if he can keep his head on straight, the story might become an appealing one at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am actually looking forward to watching this Friday's game. I do not expect him to overwhelm, and I would not be shocked if he struggles a bit. In spite of what some might think, it's a darn good league, with plenty of talented players.

And here's the thing.....if he proves himself in this league, and keeps his head together, there is still an opportunity for him to make it back to The NFL. Maybe not as a starter, but a backup would not be a bad career. As we often say, there are only 32 men that begin each year as the NFL "starter".

Hey, if he can keep his head on straight, the story might become an appealing one at some point.
    I hope that he fails miserably. Even though I HATE 90% of the NFL, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on any team
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    I hope that he fails miserably. Even though I HATE 90% of the NFL, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on any team
    Wow. That's one way to look at it.

I like second chances. I can't say that I like Manziel but going to the CFL is a good move for him if he really wants to play football and not be a headcase. If he can stay clean and mature the door could open for him in the NFL in the future.