Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Eric Reid

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212

    Eric Reid

    Does anyone out there believe that Thomas is a better option than Reid?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,069
    Denver's top 4 safeties for the year are pretty much already set with Simmons, Stewart, Parks and Cravens. 3 of the 4 are of the more strong safety variety. Why bring in Reid when he more than likely doesn't make the team?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212
    Of the four safeties that you named Simmons would be the only one whose job would be safe if Eric Reid was signed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oh Yea...Right there!
    Posts
    7,321
    Quote Originally Posted by nas1 View Post
    Of the four safeties that you named Simmons would be the only one whose job would be safe if Eric Reid was signed.
    The difference is that none of those 4 guys are trouble-makers and they are already on a team.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212
    I don't recall Eric Reid getting into any trouble.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,069
    Quote Originally Posted by nas1 View Post
    Of the four safeties that you named Simmons would be the only one whose job would be safe if Eric Reid was signed.
    Fair enough. But they brought in Thomas to fill Carter's role on special teams. And if you check snap counts, Thomas has often been well over 50% special teams snap counts for Buffalo/Pittsburgh. Where as Reid played very few special Teams snap counts, once getting over 35%, but mostly being in the 14-15% range.

    Building a team is about filling roles, the Broncos lost a Special Teams player and signed another player who fills that role. Parks also plays a lot of special teams, so he's safe. Cravens is on year 2 of his entry level contract (cheap), and Stewart costs more off the team than on it. So which one do they get rid of to spend valuable cap space (which they need to rollover for next year) on a safety that doesn't fill the role needed?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    8,605
    The real question isn't whether Eric Reid could help our team, its how much does he want to be paid.

    Elway wanted Kapernick, but Kap wasn't willing to bet on himself and restructure his contract to come and play in Denver.
    .....Some fear Terrorist.....I view them as JUSTIFIED TARGETS!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Fair enough. But they brought in Thomas to fill Carter's role on special teams. And if you check snap counts, Thomas has often been well over 50% special teams snap counts for Buffalo/Pittsburgh. Where as Reid played very few special Teams snap counts, once getting over 35%, but mostly being in the 14-15% range.

    Building a team is about filling roles, the Broncos lost a Special Teams player and signed another player who fills that role. Parks also plays a lot of special teams, so he's safe. Cravens is on year 2 of his entry level contract (cheap), and Stewart costs more off the team than on it. So which one do they get rid of to spend valuable cap space (which they need to rollover for next year) on a safety that doesn't fill the role needed?
    Well if Eric can tackle, run and play then why not come here and fill in a role on ST. If we then opt to move in a direction of a couple of guy rotating in at the Safety position on gameday then great. Unless Reid doesn't want to come here then that is a different story. Then there is also the matter of cap and dollar values. right now if the difference is pay then I get it. otherwise there is no way Reid is not the best player at that position for us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Well if Eric can tackle, run and play then why not come here and fill in a role on ST. If we then opt to move in a direction of a couple of guy rotating in at the Safety position on gameday then great. Unless Reid doesn't want to come here then that is a different story. Then there is also the matter of cap and dollar values. right now if the difference is pay then I get it. otherwise there is no way Reid is not the best player at that position for us.
    It comes down to cap and why spend big on a player who doesn't really play ST when the role you need to fill is a guy who plays ST? Roster building, where does Reid fit in? Is he the starter? If so now you've got Stewart who also doesn't play ST sitting on the bench. You can't have depth DBs not playing key roles on STs.

    And it's not just as easy as "if he can run and tackle he can play teams" you have to embrace playing on Special Teams. You have to have a mentality that you want to play on them. And you have to be willing to accept that role, and do it well.
    Last edited by Butler By'Note; 08-14-2018 at 02:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,221
    Shamarko was just brought in to round out camp and fill carters role. Hes not making the squad and no one we were bringing in ever had that intention. Also, the player has to be interested in playing here. He may not. He may only want a starters role which he isnt getting here.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,314
    Quote Originally Posted by nas1 View Post
    Does anyone out there believe that Thomas is a better option than Reid?
    To be cheaper and play on special teams, yes. Much better option.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It comes down to cap and why spend big on a player who doesn't really play ST when the role you need to fill is a guy who plays ST? Roster building, where does Reid fit in? Is he the starter? If so now you've got Stewart who also doesn't play ST sitting on the bench. You can't have depth DBs not playing key roles on STs.
    I donít think his cap would be that big of a concern considering he isnít getting much interest.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I don’t think his cap would be that big of a concern considering he isn’t getting much interest.
    Perhaps. But for what the Broncos are looking for from that player, the 1 year $630,000 contract for Thomas made more financial sense than something that's at least $1 million more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by nas1 View Post
    Does anyone out there believe that Thomas is a better option than Reid?
    Do you think there is a conspiracy against Reid?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212
    Well, he's better than a lot of safeties that have been signed in the league.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •