Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830

    Any Of You Like To Go On Restaurant Road Trips?

    Occasionally we visit restaurants outside our city, because of good reviews that often come from reliable sources. Not too far, but a nice drive out towards the country, and to a welcome/tasty destination.

    Recently our newspaper did an article about a couple of reporters doing several days of small road trips (back and forth same day), and described some interesting restaurants, some that I never heard of before. The reviews were all pretty good, and some were really good! We are going to visit one of them later this week. It's a small town place that serves fabulous southern style meats, including ribs, brisket, pulled pork and other. And it has incredible banana cream pie!

    Another reason for our visit is that they also cater and do take out, and if as good as hoped, we might just order a group meal for our Thanksgiving get-together. We've always made supper when it's our turn to host the family celebrations, but this might be a nice departure. About time I gave my wife a break, because she tends to spend a good chunk of the week preparing for a festive meal with family.

    Ha ha....it is interesting for me, given the town we are visiting was the home town of my first girlfriend, once I began my career. It might bring back a few memories. Actually we stayed friends for many years after, although I have not seen her for decades.

    As for other restaurants outside our city, we do have one fav, at the lovely Riding Mountain National Park on the west side of our province. There's a fabulous Italian restaurant, with really good pasta dinners and equally satisfying pizza. Anytime we stay there, it is the place we go to, almost every night!

    I used to travel our province occasionally as part of my job, and was lucky enough to enjoy a number of good restaurants while travelling. Few complaints along the way.

    In fact, when I was quite young, me and my buds went to a water skiing competition on a lovely country lake, and had a terrific meal at a truck stop! I actually forget where it was...so long ago! But it was one of the best steaks, with corn on the cob and other tasty accompaniments....ever (mind you, we were still teenagers)! I am going to ask the boys where we stopped that evening. If it still exists, the wife and I are going to plan another trip soon!!

    And if I might bore you with a little more about food specialties along the way, I must go back to childhood days when we visited a really special place called Grand Beach (still go to that beach but not nearly as often, but I have to wear sun glasses, because the scenery is very nice!). It is just over an hour north of the city. I will ALWAYS remember when we called it a day at the beach and gathered around the local food shack. I believe it was called Mike's. Back then it was not about fast food. You put in your order for burgers and fries (and other delights) and waited for your food, up to a half an hour. Hey, we did not know about fast food back then. But just sitting nearby, on a hot day, with the smell of cheeseburgers and fries and vinegar and salt and whatever else was being cooked into your meal, was heavenly. And by the time the food came, you could hardly contain your excitement! It was the best!!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    Posts
    30,632
    I'm very picky about what & wear I eat
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, NM
    Posts
    2,155
    The wife and I do this all the time, whether its to try something new or just make a day trip somewhere to eat at a favorite place! question is whats the farthest you have gone in a day for food? so far we have driven 3 hrs each way just to eat some cherry pie!

    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830
    Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    The wife and I do this all the time, whether its to try something new or just make a day trip somewhere to eat at a favorite place! question is whats the farthest you have gone in a day for food? so far we have driven 3 hrs each way just to eat some cherry pie!
    Now that must be some good pie!!!

    Although I am not exactly a driving fanatic, there are loads of folks who like to go on drives....and from what I can tell, most of us like some good grub. So I can see a nice road trip, with a sweet reward midway.

    If I recall correctly, I believe I've only driven about 2 hours each way, for something tasty to devour. Unless we are counting getting lost!

    Were you in the same state? Because if we drive 3 hours west, east or south, we'll be in different provinces or (to the south) in The USA. BUT, we can drive for much, much longer in a northerly direction. And if we are not careful, we might be lunch in some places!!!!

    Last edited by CanDB; 08-16-2018 at 08:34 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, NM
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Now that must be some good pie!!!

    Although I am not exactly a driving fanatic, there are loads of folks who like to go on drives....and from what I can tell, most of us like some good grub. So I can see a nice road trip, with a sweet reward midway.

    If I recall correctly, I believe I've only driven about 2 hours each way, for something tasty to devour. Unless we are counting getting lost!

    Were you in the same state? Because if we drive 3 hours west, east or south, we'll be in different provinces or (to the south) in The USA. BUT, we can drive for much, much longer in a northerly direction. And if we are not careful, we might be lunch in some places!!!!

    Yea, same state New mexico is quite large, it is great pie, they have cherry orchards there and the pie is fresh!

    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    18,338
    I like to ride up to Tahoe on the motorbike for lunch. Putz around a little, then ride on home. It's about 2 hours. But I don't go for anything specific.

    Although, I've often times gone back "home" to Napa for a tasty Nation's burger. It's really nothing spectacular, but it's where my family would go in my childhood for "treat" dinner. And we'd often times buy a meal for whichever homeless person was begging outside. I do that now if there is one as a tribute to my parents.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830
    Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    Yea, same state New mexico is quite large, it is great pie, they have cherry orchards there and the pie is fresh!
    Fresh fruit pie!!! You are killing me!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    I like to ride up to Tahoe on the motorbike for lunch. Putz around a little, then ride on home. It's about 2 hours. But I don't go for anything specific.

    Although, I've often times gone back "home" to Napa for a tasty Nation's burger. It's really nothing spectacular, but it's where my family would go in my childhood for "treat" dinner. And we'd often times buy a meal for whichever homeless person was begging outside. I do that now if there is one as a tribute to my parents.
    Eb...you close to Yountville? I have written about it before, but we had one of the nicest lunches there, on a perfect day to eat outside! No, it was not The French Laundry, but a wonderful place (have to look up the name), that served fabulous "pressed' sandwiches and salad, along with all sorts of other good things. Love that town!

    I commend you for helping the needy.
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-16-2018 at 01:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830
    So anyway, we decide to drive out to the restaurant I mentioned today. A nice little drive thru little towns and countryside. We arrive, only to realize it is a very small place with only 2 tables (inside) and some seats on stools. But within seconds I realize that at one of the tables is my dear cousin and her husband! What a small world!! She is like a sister to me, as we were born but 4 days apart, and were very close. So cool, a drive, a meal, and a nice meeting.

    The food was very good! But in the heat of meeting my cousin, and deciding what to ask if we were going to try their catering, and the fact we were both stuffed.....we forgot to try their banana cream pie!!! Neither one of us remembered. Next time!
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-16-2018 at 01:38 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    18,338
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Fresh fruit pie!!! You are killing me!!!



    Eb...you close to Yountville? I have written about it before, but we had one of the nicest lunches there, on a perfect day to eat outside! No, it was not The French Laundry, but a wonderful place (have to look up the name), that served fabulous "pressed' sandwiches and salad, along with all sorts of other good things. Love that town!

    I commend you for helping the needy.
    I'm close enough to Yountville. It's about another 15- 20 minutes passed Napa. When I still lived in Napa and in high school I worked in Yountville at the Napa Valley Grille and also at the Piatti's there. I LOVE the peace and serenity of going "up-valley".

    How long ago was it that you went??
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    I'm close enough to Yountville. It's about another 15- 20 minutes passed Napa. When I still lived in Napa and in high school I worked in Yountville at the Napa Valley Grille and also at the Piatti's there. I LOVE the peace and serenity of going "up-valley".

    How long ago was it that you went??
    It was 3 years ago, to the month. I thought it was near Bottega???

    And yes, it was such a special few hours, between lunch and walking about. Wish we could have stayed longer.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    18,338
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    It was 3 years ago, to the month. I thought it was near Bottega???

    And yes, it was such a special few hours, between lunch and walking about. Wish we could have stayed longer.
    Ahh... well after NVG closed. But you might be talking about Bottega Napa Valley... not sure what's near it. Glad you like my "home"!!

    Anywho... back to on topic? Great place to drive to for lunch in the Napa Valley. Rutherford, Yountville, even St. Helena.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    Ahh... well after NVG closed. But you might be talking about Bottega Napa Valley... not sure what's near it. Glad you like my "home"!!

    Anywho... back to on topic? Great place to drive to for lunch in the Napa Valley. Rutherford, Yountville, even St. Helena.
    I look forward to the day when we visit California again. I'll get over to Yountville for sure...the small place with all the Michelin stars!!

    eb, and others, ever been to The French Laundry? My daughter went thru Yountville recently, and could not get reservations, even though they tried way ahead. Months are required. But they apparently have a take out, whereby she ended up with some of Thomas Keller's interesting take on fried chicken. Not quite the same as a proper reservation, but they probably saved nearly a $100 each.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oh Yea...Right there!
    Posts
    7,315
    What a fun read this is. I'm inspired to try to get out and try some new places. We don't eat out a lot (because I like to cook), but when we do, we tend to go back to places we liked and don't venture to new places. This reminded me to change that.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    What a fun read this is. I'm inspired to try to get out and try some new places. We don't eat out a lot (because I like to cook), but when we do, we tend to go back to places we liked and don't venture to new places. This reminded me to change that.
    Go for it pal!! Adventure awaits you....and adventure sometimes = mighty tasty!!!!


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    16,703
    I travel to eat and drink constantly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •