Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Nah I got over it before it was official. I'm too old to hang on to xyz player.

He'll be a great Bear and I wish him all the best (except against us and Green Bay because I drafted Aaron Rodgers) but i just remembered Mitchell Trubisky is their QB is. If he doesn't improve then we'll have 2 top 10 picks.
    I agree even with Mack it is still all about Mitch this season in Chicago. This whole offseason is about putting the receiving talent around the QB in Robinson, Burton, Miller, Gabriel, to go along with the runners already on the team, Howard and Cohen. The weapons are there it is just a matter of Trubisky taking that big second year leap. If he does that along with a top flight defense the Bears will make some noise in the NFC this season.

The rule of thumb...get the best player in a trade. Now, within certain limits of course.....ie. do not sell the farm (see Vikings / Herschel Walker and Saints / Ricky Williams).

In this case we are talking a Hall of Fame, game changing D player, pretty much in his prime. Imagine us without Von a couple of years ago. Sure, Oakland will get a decent first round pick for '19, with no guarantees of long term success.....and another first rounder in 20, although I have a feeling The Bears will be much higher up in the standings that year, resulting in a less valuable selection. Among other pick swaps, The Bears do get a 2nd rounder that year in return, which might not be a whole lot lower than Oakland's first.

And yes, no draft pick has any form of guarantee. And if the new management group for The Raiders is of any indication of late, who knows who they will fall in love with???!!!

Based on the enormous value of this great player, and the swap of draft picks, this to me is a Bears victory, and then some. Some folks have mentioned, day one The Bears are a better team, because of Khalil's talent, but also his impact on the motivation of others on his team. When you play for a team that lands a big time player, you gain energy and confidence. It just happens. And that spreads over the entire squad.

But sure, it's up to Trubisky to make strides of his own. If he delivers in the next year or two, this team will be a playoff contender. Oakland might be going the other way.
    Last edited by CanDB; 09-02-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bears6385 View Post
    Damn glad we made that trade. Puts our D into top 5. Could be our best linebacking crew since '85, Mack, Floyd, Smith, Trevathan.
    It doesn't hurt that the Bears now have a player that can cause headaches against the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, and Kirk Cousins. I'm interested to see where the Bears land record wise in that division, as it is a tough division to win. If the Bears can play solid D and Trubisky continues to grow, the Bears might have a punchers chance in that division.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealander View Post
    I wouldn't count it.

Adding Mack, Roquan Smith and holding Trevathan... Da Bears have a defense that is once again stacked.
    That is an awesome group of linebackers.

Elway snagged Trevathan late, I think 5th or 6th rd the rest 1st rd studs.

Rookie contracts and draft capital are how you win championships in today's NFL.

I'd definitely trade two first rounders for a Khalil Mack with multiple years left on his rookie contract. Trading two first rounders for a league max deal? That's Cleveland Browns bad.

Would Belichick trade I-want-a-record-setting-contract Mack for two Chicago first rounders? In a heartbeat. That's why New England is always in the hunt. Belichick understands that you need a lot of inexpensive rising stars to consistently win, and you do that by getting lots of high round picks. That's why he traded Seymour, Jones, and others.

Why this is especially bad for the Bears:
    - They're a poorly run organization that tends to draft high.
    - The Bears average draft slot over the last five years is 8th. Over the last 10 years it's 13th.
    - They're already low on draft capital and promising rookies because they inexplicably traded two 3rd rounders to move up one spot for Trubisky
    - They've had to tie up ~15% of their salary cap for a player that will likely cost them two top 10 picks
    - They are multiple drafts from being a true contender

CP bet that Chicago picks in the top 10 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Rookie contracts and draft capital are how you win championships in today's NFL.

I'd definitely trade two first rounders for a Khalil Mack with multiple years left on his rookie contract. Trading two first rounders for a league max deal? That's Cleveland Browns bad.

Would Belichick trade I-want-a-record-setting-contract Mack for two Chicago first rounders? In a heartbeat. That's why New England is always in the hunt. Belichick understands that you need a lot of inexpensive rising stars to consistently win, and you do that by getting lots of high round picks. That's why he traded Seymour, Jones, and others.

- The Bears average draft slot over the last five years is 8th. Over the last 10 years it's 13th.
    - They're already low on draft capital and promising rookies because they inexplicably traded two 3rd rounders to move up one spot for Trubisky
    - They've had to tie up ~15% of their salary cap for a player that will likely cost them two top 10 picks
    This is a great move for Chicago, win before you gotta pay your Qb.

Von paid what hes deserved!!!!!

I'll take that bet
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Nah Chicago won't pick in the Top 10. We'll do it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Nah Chicago won't pick in the Top 10. We'll do it for them.
    Twice I'm guessing

Pass rushers are an elite position, and CHI just landed one of the best. Smith and Floyd should be studs this year, but you never know. Now they have a proven star. Draft picks are a crap shoot, but Mack is in his prime & coming off another stellar season
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

WOW

The Bears are actually looking like a pretty nice team now. Hopefully they don't miss those first rounders too much. .....

I mean on one hand - Mack is a SURE thing .........
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

So many things wrong with this post.

"Would Belichick trade I-want-a-record-setting-contract Mack for two Chicago first rounders? In a heartbeat. That's why New England is always in the hunt."

That's not why New England is always in the hunt. The reason is because they have Tom Brady. End of story.

I'm not going to get into all the other ridiculous things you said but I'll just say this.

The Bears had a top 10 defense last year. They brought everybody back and added Roquan Smith and Khalil Mack. Not a bad couple of pieces to add to a top 10 defense.

Chicago Bears leading wide receivers last year

Kendall Wright - Not currently on a team.
    Dontrelle Inman - Not currently on a team.
    Josh Bellamy - 6th on the Bears depth chart behind 7th round rookie Javon Wims
    Other recievers of note, Marcus Wheaton - Not currently on a team.Deonte Thompson - You get my point.

They did have Cam Meridth and Kevin White both out for the entire season. Kevin caught two passes before his injury.

2018 Wide Receivers:
    1. Allen Robinson
    2. Taylor Gabriel
    3. Anthony Miler
    4. Kevin White
    5. Javon Wims
    6. Josh Bellamy

In other words, their best receiver last year is now their 6th best.

And possibly the biggest upgrade of all? Matt Nagy from John Fox. Add to it a great offensive line with Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen.

Bears are going to catch a lot of people off guard this year. You are clearly one of them.

I don't think Bill Belichick would pay anyone other than Tom Brady $20 million per year. One of his most underrated aspects is his ability to manage the cap. The problem with a lot of players is once you give them a big contract with a lot of guaranteed money they lose their hunger for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    I don't think Bill Belichick would pay anyone other than Tom Brady $20 million per year. One of his most underrated aspects is his ability to manage the cap. The problem with a lot of players is once you give them a big contract with a lot of guaranteed money they lose their hunger for the game.
    Season almost underway, So many reasons to be discussing with your home team pals. But you come here to get in another "aren't we great!" comment. You really sniff out this board don't you? Are you going to keep coming when the party ends, and you are back to being the Pats for the most part of their existence?