Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    That's not why New England is always in the hunt. The reason is because they have Tom Brady. End of story.
    Yet he still wins 11 games with Matt Cassell as his QB. So clearly not end of story.

It's because he manages the cap and his draft capital extremely well. Also he's a satanically good coach.

The Bears had a top 10 defense last year. They brought everybody back and added Roquan Smith and Khalil Mack. Not a bad couple of pieces to add to a top 10 defense.
    Agree. You seriously overpaid for Mack, though. Cap and draft-capital wise. Missing two first round picks is going to hurt. A lot.

If Trubisky does turn out to be the real deal, you're going to have to make painful cuts to make room for him in a few years. Add in two missing first round rookie contracts, and you'll really feel the pinch.

Bears are going to catch a lot of people off guard this year. You are clearly one of them.
    They very well could. That's what's awesome about this league. There are a few surprise teams every year. I'm hoping the Broncos are one of them.

I'm not sold on the Bears, but I'm wrong all the time. I'm pretty quick to admit when I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Yet he still wins 11 games with Matt Cassell as his QB. So clearly not end of story.

It's because he manages the cap and his draft capital extremely well. Also he's a satanically good coach.

Agree. You seriously overpaid for Mack, though. Cap and draft-capital wise. Missing two first round picks is going to hurt. A lot.

If Trubisky does turn out to be the real deal, you're going to have to make painful cuts to make room for him in a few years. Add in two missing first round rookie contracts, and you'll really feel the pinch.

They very well could. That's what's awesome about this league. There are a few surprise teams every year. I'm hoping the Broncos are one of them.

I'm not sold on the Bears, but I'm wrong all the time. I'm pretty quick to admit when I am.
    Did the Bears overpay for Mack.....Not at all when you consider the impact he has on the defensive side of the ball. Per PFF.....175 sacks/QB hits/QB hurries over the last two seasons, 13 more than the next most disruptive rusher, Von Miller. A rush with Mack, Hicks, and Floyd is downright scary for NFC North quarterbacks. Even more scary Mack's numbers could rise on the Bears since this is the best defense he has ever been on.

Over the length of Mack's contract how will this affect the Bears salary cap. Over the next 7 years Mack will make 154.85 million.

Salary cap this year 177.2 million.

Over the last 5 years the cap has gone up 10 million a year..

If the cap continues to rise 10 million a year through the end of the Mack deal it would be 237.2 million.

Average salary cap per team over that time 207.2. million.

Mack's salary over that time 22.12 million per year.

Average cap spending devoted to Mack per year 10.67% of cap.

Well worth the price for the most disruptive defensive player in the league.

Trubisky turns out Bears have a great 3-4 years on his rookie deal...….. it's a win. Cap wise the Bears have always been one of the best cap managed teams in the league. As said fans overvalue first round picks not smart GM's, 4of 6 2017 NFC playoff teams have traded their first round picks over the last two years. What it comes down to is what is Mack's value vs lottery picks. Odds are in the Bears favor there.

T.D. on who won the Mack trade...…….Every quarterback in the AFC West.
    Last edited by bears6385; 09-03-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bears6385 View Post
    Did the Bears overpay for Mack.....Not at all when you consider the impact he has on the defensive side of the ball. Per PFF.....175 sacks/QB hits/QB hurries over the last two seasons, 13 more than the next most disruptive rusher, Von Miller. A rush with Mack, Hicks, and Floyd is downright scary for NFC North quarterbacks. Even more scary Mack's numbers could rise on the Bears since this is the best defense he has ever been on.

Over the length of Mack's contract how will this affect the Bears salary cap. Over the next 7 years Mack will make 154.85 million.

If the cap continues to rise 10 million a year through the end of the Mack deal it would be 237.2 million.

Trubisky turns out Bears have a great 3-4 years on his rookie deal...….. it's a win. Cap wise the Bears have always been one of the best cap managed teams in the league. As said fans overvalue first round picks not smart GM's, 4of 6 2017 NFC playoff teams have traded their first round picks over the last two years. What it comes down to is what is Mack's value vs lottery picks. Odds are in the Bears favor there.

Add the fact that the Packers were considered the favorite to land Mack prior to the Bears making the trade, and it certainly swings the trade in the Bears favor.

Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    Add the fact that the Packers were considered the favorite to land Mack prior to the Bears making the trade, and it certainly swings the trade in the Bears favor.
    That’s a great point, get one of the leagues best defenders and keep him out of your own backfield.

I'm in the "always trade down" and "underpay or trade" school of thought. That's how you consistently stay ahead of the curve.

This trade smacks of a Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder deal. Flashy. Short-term impact. Long-term detriment.

We overpaid Von by 20% and it's hurt us some. I'd be throwing up into a trash can if we'd had to give up two first rounders as well.

I'm in the "always trade down" and "underpay or trade" school of thought. That's how you consistently stay ahead of the curve.

This trade smacks of a Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder deal. Flashy. Short-term impact. Long-term detriment.

We overpaid Von by 20% and it's hurt us some. I'd be throwing up into a trash can if we'd had to give up two first rounders as well.
    From my outsiders point of view I believe Von got every penny he deserved when you consider how short NFL careers are. What Denver really missed on was not landing your rookie QB. It would have been four years on a rookie deal and a lot more cap space, and in my opinion Denver would still be a Super Bowl contender.

Bears did the same thing years ago when we signed Julius Peppers, and like Mack he was well worth it.
    Last edited by bears6385; 09-03-2018 at 05:51 PM.

From my outsiders point of view I believe Von got every penny he deserved when you consider how short NFL careers are. What Denver really missed on was not landing your rookie QB. It would have been four years on a rookie deal and a lot more cap space, and in my opinion Denver would still be a Super Bowl contender.

Bears did the same thing years ago when we signed Julius Peppers, and like Mack he was well worth it.
    Missing on Brock, and then Paxton has definitely set us back the last two seasons. 🍻

I think this was a decent trade for both sides. Oakland wasn't going to pay him that kind of money so they got a nice, potential (I doubt all their picks from this trade match Mack's production though), haul of picks. The Bears got a stud player and the lower picks were a nice wash for what they gave up. The only concern, for me, is the salary the Bears forked over. That's a ton of money that looks good now but it will seriously hurt their position when they try and lock up Trubisky (if he turns into a franchise caliber guy). But, it was worth the gamble. Now, I'm curious how successfully Oakland uses their picks. They don't have a great record of nailing the draft (this statement from a Broncos fan).

Nice breakdown. I agree with you.

Mike McCoy...………..He cost the Cards a victory over the Bears last week by allowing Mack to close out the game. Bears fumble the ball at their own 22 holding a slim 16-14 lead with just over 4 min. left in the game. Now instead of running the ball and taking time of the clock and at worst kicking a field goal McCoy calls a passing play for Bradford on first down ...……the same Bradford who had already thrown two picks. So in the biggest moment of the game Mack gets the strip sack and Bears recover. It was beyond stupid to even put Mack in a position to dictate the ending of this game. How could you have hired McCoy not once but twice.

Mack is well worth every penny the Bears are paying him.

Mike McCoy...………..He cost the Cards a victory over the Bears last week by allowing Mack to close out the game. Bears fumble the ball at their own 22 holding a slim 16-14 lead with just over 4 min. left in the game. Now instead of running the ball and taking time of the clock and at worst kicking a field goal McCoy calls a passing play for Bradford on first down ...……the same Bradford who had already thrown two picks. So in the biggest moment of the game Mack gets the strip sack and Bears recover. It was beyond stupid to even put Mack in a position to dictate the ending of this game. How could you have hired McCoy not once but twice.

The first time, Manning made him look good. The second time, I guess they thought they'd get the same output with him leading a Siemian offense.....

Think of it like when Chicago kept bringing in different offensive coordinators for Jay Cutler, because they thought the coaches were the problem.

Mike McCoy ever so cocky

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Think of it like when Chicago kept bringing in different offensive coordinators for Jay Cutler, because they thought the coaches were the problem.
    That and no one would work with Jay for more than a season or two.

Rookie contracts and draft capital are how you win championships in today's NFL.

I'd definitely trade two first rounders for a Khalil Mack with multiple years left on his rookie contract. Trading two first rounders for a league max deal? That's Cleveland Browns bad.

Would Belichick trade I-want-a-record-setting-contract Mack for two Chicago first rounders? In a heartbeat. That's why New England is always in the hunt. Belichick understands that you need a lot of inexpensive rising stars to consistently win, and you do that by getting lots of high round picks. That's why he traded Seymour, Jones, and others.

Why this is especially bad for the Bears:
    - They're a poorly run organization that tends to draft high.
    - The Bears average draft slot over the last five years is 8th. Over the last 10 years it's 13th.
    - They're already low on draft capital and promising rookies because they inexplicably traded two 3rd rounders to move up one spot for Trubisky
    - They've had to tie up ~15% of their salary cap for a player that will likely cost them two top 10 picks
    - They are multiple drafts from being a true contender

CP bet that Chicago picks in the top 10 this year.
    Looks like you lost that CP bet.