Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Offensive Formations & Play Calling With Royce

I did not like the way they used Freeman today. He's a true 3 down back, but when they pulled him out on passing downs it tipped the defense. Also, the play calls were all A gap isos and powers. Not one stretch, sweep, swing pass, etc. I love what Lindsay showed, and would like to see Royce get the chance to have full drives.

Bookers blown pass protection in the 4th scared me!

I saw some good pass pro outta Royce

They did use Freeman on at least one stretch play. He bounced it, then tried to cut it back and got about 3 or 4 yards. I think part of the reason he didn't see as much variety today is that they didn't have a lot of success running the ball early with him, and then Lindsay came in and really had some good stuff, so they went with the hot hand. When they wanted to put the game away 28 was in the backfield, because they trust him to be that hammer that gets the first down to salt it away.

Next week if Freeman proves to be the hot hand early he'll probably get more carries.

Freemanís theee 4th quarter runs around the three minute mark were classic Denver offense.
    Run 1 - 17 yards
    Run 2 - 5 yards
    Run 3 - 15 yards
    Run 4 - no gain
    With Keenums mistakes on the day was awesome that we could run the ball to close out the game.

Oline should get some credit too. Only week 1 will see how we look next week vs Oakland And especially at Baltimore ( first road game). Will need Royce to play big on the road.

It is Royce's first game, I am sure they are thinking of giving him opportunities to succeed, and he did. He may be given the option to bounce a little if the lane is there, but that will come when the game slows down for him even though he looked very comfortable in the game. The o-line will make Royce a star.
    BCMB Div 1 - Rollin' with Mahomies

The commitment to the run game was poor the first 3-quarters. Freeman had a good carry in the 1st that was negated by a Leary holding penalty. After that it was tough going. I think Seattle did not believe we would run Lindsay between the tackles and he had some nice runs,

It seemed as if the game plan was to pass first and we got by with 3-interceptions. I am glad we got the win, but think we got lucky.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    The commitment to the run game was poor the first 3-quarters. Freeman had a good carry in the 1st that was negated by a Leary holding penalty. After that it was tough going. I think Seattle did not believe we would run Lindsay between the tackles and he had some nice runs,

It seemed as if the game plan was to pass first and we got by with 3-interceptions. I am glad we got the win, but think we got lucky.
    I agree on the luck part, we got some favorable calls and Wilson missed a couple big throws.
    Keenum missed on a lot of plays as well, and Iím not talking about the intís.

It's unusual that both Royce and Phillip each had 15 rushing attempts for 71 yards.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    It's unusual that both Royce and Phillip each had 15 rushing attempts for 71 yards.
    That is what you call perfect game planning, coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Freeman’s theee 4th quarter runs around the three minute mark were classic Denver offense.
    Run 1 - 17 yards
    Run 2 - 5 yards
    Run 3 - 15 yards
    Run 4 - no gain
    With Keenums mistakes on the day was awesome that we could run the ball to close out the game.

Oline should get some credit too. Only week 1 will see how we look next week vs Oakland And especially at Baltimore ( first road game). Will need Royce to play big on the road.
    That's the way to put the game on ice, run it down their throats! Kudos to the offense on that one.

Joe Woods

haven't seen anybody mention what a great game he called. the D was aggressive, brought the heat, and never folded even after giving up some big plays. woods had caught a lot of flack since Wade left. well i think he showed up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by thescienceguy View Post
    haven't seen anybody mention what a great game he called. the D was aggressive, brought the heat, and never folded even after giving up some big plays. woods had caught a lot of flack since Wade left. well i think he showed up yesterday.
    I couldn't agree more. I haven't seen a word about Woods, either. I wonder why. I also haven't seen much about how Todd Davis played as an ILB after he had a pretty good game. And I haven't seen much about Jared Veldheer at Right Tackle, a position of HUGE concern.

Maybe you guys just didn't read the right comments?

Yesterday, 06:46 PM
    samparnell replied to a thread Von Miller in Broncos Football

Both Woods and Musgrave called a good game.

https://forums.denverbroncos.com/sho...67#post5729967
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 09-10-2018 at 07:33 PM.

I hated his game plans down the stretch last year, and after the way he coordinated that game against Washington last season I wanted him gone, I wont get into that now, but I still don't have much faith in him at all. Our defense had a solid game against a very mediocre Seattle team with no real weapons and a porous offensive line, but credit is deserved because for the most part coordination didn't have any major flaws evident.

One aspect I do not like seeing is Bradley Chubb being matched up in man coverage on their tight ends. The 66 yard catch and run from their tight end was because Chubb was matched up in isolation in coverage, that is not a favourable match up for Chubb at all, a guy we are transitioning from a career defensive end into an edge linebacker. Obviously the gain should of been kept to 1/3 of what it ended up but our tackling was poor, but either way little things like that make no sense to me and stop me from being convinced Joe Woods is anything more than a short term coach here.

To the point about putting Chubb in coverage, thatís the nature of the 3-4. The ILBs start in a terrible position to cover TEs on every single play so you have to mix it up or get LBs that are more athletic to close the gap they start out with.

TJ Watt is probably the new prototype for what you want in a 34 OLB. Very good in coverage and is still a very good pass rusher. Anthony Barr is another guy but theyíve focused more on his coverage than pass rushing in their 4-3 scheme contrary to what many thought of him coming out of college. But guys like that are rare so youíll still have pass rushers having to cover in 34 defenses.